PDA

View Full Version : Which Scroll Chuck?

Dale Gregory
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Which Scroll Chuck should I use for 14-16" diameter x 6" deep blanks? Will a 3-1/2" Nova G3 work (on-sale at Woodcraft)? Grizzly 3-1/2" Vicmark clone? or do I need to go up to the larger 5" sizes? What about once I start HF and coring, will that require a large size. I'm looking to buy a new one and want to make sure the 3-1/2" can handle these sizes.

Dale

JerHall
12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Get the larger size, especially with your plans. I like the Vicmarc 5-1/2 a lot. Oneway and larger Nova should work as well. Nova has the advantage of interchangeable jaws across their line, if you ever want to bother with that.

Montgomery Scott
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Vicmarc VM120.

Here's a quote from Russ Fairfield's site on the low cost clones:

There are several new inexpensive chucks available on the market. While each supplier will argue the merits of their product, they all look the same to me, and like a copy of a Vicmarc chuck. All appear to be a good buy for the beginning and average hobbiest woodturner because they sell for less than $100, and some of them come with several jaw sets for less than $200.

Don't expect to get the same steel as the other chucks at these prices. Testing them with a file tells me that the steel is probably a common "Mild Carbon Steel" rather than an alloy steel as used in the more expensive chucks. That means they are made from a softer steel, and that they will wear out quicker. These are definitely a chuck for the casual woodturner. A high volume woodturner would be better off spending the extra money for a better quality chuck.

My only adverse comment about the PSI chucks is that the jaws on the ones I used were at a "true circle" when fully closed. That means that the grip will always be at the points of the jaws for all sizes of spigot, and always in the center of the jaw in a recess. That means I could never use the light but firm grip where the jaws and the sligot (or recess) were at the same diameter. Again, I would suspect that the casual woodturner would never know the difference.

All of these these chucks that I have inspected had a loose fit between the scroll and the base jaws. Those that I used left something to be desired in accuracy and didn't center as well as I am used to finding with the more expensive chucks.

Paul Engle
12-04-2007, 2:19 PM
Nope, G3 too small for saftey (check out the Technitool site) it may hold a 16 x 6 but not on my lathe, SN2 up to 16" dia and the Titan for bigger ones above that , the G3 is intended for under 10" dia. http://www.teknatool.com/safety/safety_page.htm

Above link is Nova saftey rules page in pdf . I have a G3 and a SN2 and being a machinist I don't like pushing the guide lines set by manufactures for their wood working equitment.

Frank Kobilsek
12-04-2007, 4:02 PM
Dale,

If you intend to do coring of large bowls get a big chuck. I have a Oneway Stronghold. I must use the # 3 jaws (4") when coring. If I use the # 2 jaws (2") when coring I will strip the tendon unless I am really lucky. I coring with a Woodcut System.

Go big!

Frank

Jason Clark2
12-04-2007, 4:43 PM
I routinely use a Supernova2 with Powergrip jaws when coring pieces up to 18" diameter and 8" deep. The Powergrip jaws will grip a tenon between 3 5/32 and 4". Smaller pieces can be cored with the standard 50mm jaws with a tenon between 1 49/64 and 2 9/16". Nova recommends a maximum size of 16 X 6 and a maximum RPM of 684 for the Powergrip jaws when contracting on a tenon and 12 X 4 and a maximum RPM of 1020 for the 50mm jaws on a tenon.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that once a piece is balanced I regularly turn at more than double their recommended maximum speed.

Jason

Dale Gregory
12-04-2007, 6:10 PM
Good feedback gents! Makes good sense to go with the SN2 or larger. I already have a Nova Midi for smaller stuff, I'll just have to buy an adapter to go from 1-1/4x8 to1x8 to use it.

Thanks, Dale

Allen Neighbors
12-04-2007, 7:10 PM
Dale, I second all that's been said about the Nova Chucks. I have just purchased the Titan, and am awaiting the arrival of the Powergrip Jaws for it. I have used my 50mm jaws and 45mm Spigot jaws on the Titan (all the jaws will interchange, except the 3-screw Powergrip), and they open wider on the Titan than on the SN2s. But I'm going to try turning a goblet on the end of an 18" log when I get the jaws.
Nova Chucks are truly the most sensible choice, whether or not they are the "best". :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2007, 7:24 PM
Vicmarc VM 120 will handle that easily.

Brian McInturff
12-04-2007, 7:53 PM
I'm a big Vicmarc fan also. Real smooth action. Better than the Talon I have. I've acquired 3 Vicmarcs now and wouldn't give up a one of them.

Bill Blasic
12-05-2007, 7:24 AM
According to the poster from Teknatool that is in front of me the G3 is for use on lathes with up to 14" swing, the Supernova II is used on lathes with up to 20" of swing and the Titan is for 24" swing and larger. Might as well post them all the Precision Midi is for lathes up to 12" swing. Hope this helps!

JerHall
12-05-2007, 8:56 AM
blanks that weigh twice as much as dry blanks and that have a tenon that is softer than dry wood? That is when I like the deeper tenoned, heavier, sturdier 5-1/2 inch Vicmarc. I know you could go to a faceplate for this, and maybe you should. But I just consider the 5-1/2" Vicmarc my go-to chuck, for a variety of conditions, for my Mustard. I question the manufacturer's estimates in this case. Their perspective might be how well the chuck holds up, not how well a heavy, wet, softer, not very balanced blank stays on! I much prefer my heavy blank to stay on and not move off center when I am hogging it out. Like they say, don't ask me how I developed this preference. If you are getting just one chuck on a 20" lathe you will be happy with a 5-1/2 Vicmarc. Pick up a smaller chuck later. If I want to end up with a 16" x 6" deep bowl I have to start out with a somewhat bigger blank, 18" or so.

Reed Gray
12-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I am another Vicmark fan. I regularly core and turn bowls up to 16 inches with the bigger Vicmark, using a recess. I have done bowls up to 18 inches. You could put bigger jaws on the smaller chucks, and get away with it, but for production turning, get the bigger chuck.
robo hippy