PDA

View Full Version : Saw vice and neander books (christmas)

Randal Stevenson
12-04-2007, 11:23 AM
What should I be looking for in a saw vice? Are there ones to avoid, or can I just pretty much start with any of them because it is technique that really matters?

Only seen one saw vice locally, and it is reasonable. But most of the old timers who used to do the sharpening for things like the neighborhood hardware stores (better then us with no skills in it, or trainers could do) are gone, or don't want to be bothered by people. They provided a service and their charges provided them with a tool/project fund.

On that note, what about neander books, specifically targeting some of these older skills (like handsaw sharpening)?

Being harassed to provide a Christmas list, and want things that are functional (not gag or junk gifts).

Thanks all

Don C Peterson
12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Check out this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66522&highlight=vise

I'm in the process of building Cornish Saw Vise that Bob shows. Bob's posts on the subject here have been particularly helpful, and when combined with a bit of personal tutoring by Jr. Strasil, I'm very happy with my saw sharpening results now.

After trying one iron saw vise that was lent to me, I have to say that I prefer the one I made, so I'm sticking with it for small saws and back saws, but I hope the Cornish vise will work well for the larger saws.

Robert Rozaieski
12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree with Don; make a wooden one. I have an iron vise and the jaws weren't perfectly parallel so I had to glue some leather on the inside to grip the saw better and it still doesn't work real well. The leather constantly comes unglued due to the small gluing surface, it does not hold real securely on one end of the jaws and I have to move all but my 8" dovetail saw during sharpening as the jaws are small and don't grip the whole saw plate. I'll be making a wooden version with full length jaws prior to doing any more saw filing as I don't like the iron one I have. I also like the idea of being able to put the saw in the jaws and flip the whole thing when switching sides rather than constantly needing to flip and reposition the saw.