PDA

View Full Version : Another Box Request

Robert Wilson
12-04-2007, 9:51 AM
I need an engravable box 6" x 12" by 3 to 4" deep. The customer would prefer cherry but will be ok with rosewood or maple. Any supplier suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

David Lavaneri
12-05-2007, 1:27 AM
Bob,

I'm surprised that of a forum comprised mainly of woodworkers that nobody has responded to your question.

Of the custom woodwork shops I know of, Big Sky Woodcrafters and Studio Workshop seem to be the most-often recommended.

They work in the type of wood(s) you mentioned and others.

Very precise workmanship.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 7:36 AM
Bob and David
I've had requests for boxes the size that you want. The reason that no one responded is that I've been told that there are no suppliers for that size of box. We have to make our own for resale. I think we all would like to have a supplier.:rolleyes: (China isn't making that size yet wouldn't buy it if they did)
ken

Robert Wilson
12-05-2007, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the info Dave and Ken. I will check the places you mentioned Dave. I will probably have to bite the bullet and make one myself. I can do it but am a little pinched for time. Oh well, I hear sleep is over rated anyway!

Thanks again,
Bob Wilson

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Bob
how right you are about pinched for time. I'm pretty sure that most of us here are the same way at least until after the holiday. Even I will be making boxes but not until january. stay warm and have a happy one.
ken

David Lavaneri
12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
What are the common uses for that size box, if any?

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
the local gun shop said he can no longer get custom high end boxes for pistols. they had stopped making them a couple of years ago.
ken

Robert Wilson
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Ken,
Sounds like a potential market. I just noticed you are from Slippery Rock. I am over in Franklin and do some consulting on occasion for the Slippery Rock Municipal Authority. It would be nice to meet you sometime.

Bob Wilson

Vicky Orsini
12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
the local gun shop said he can no longer get custom high end boxes for pistols. they had stopped making them a couple of years ago.
ken
Is that because of regulations regarding the storage and transportation of firearms?

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 2:02 PM
Vicky
these are not for transportation of firearms these are for home owners who wish to display there pistols in a very fancy boxes. Such as a matched set of.
ken

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 2:05 PM
Bob Wilson
Have you ever been to the water plant?:rolleyes:
If so we have already met.:D
We should do it again.:)
ken

Robert Wilson
12-05-2007, 2:14 PM
Ken,
If you mean where Paul works then yes. I do not recall meeting you but I do have memory issues! :) I am going to talk to Paul shortly and may actually be over there tommorrow.
Bob Wilson

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 2:17 PM
you got it

ken

John Keeton
12-05-2007, 5:56 PM
My wife and I own a hunting/gun store that is being liquidated. We just sold a set of 3 S&W pistols in presentation cases that were laser engraved on top with the logo. Looked really sharp! The cases were real simple, but the interior was molded to fit the pistol and accessories. If one wants to make these boxes, they would need to be individualized for a particular pistol frame. That probably is not that complicated - foam and velour fabric, but it really is what sets off the box. Just some thoughts.

Kenneth Hertzog
12-05-2007, 6:28 PM
John
that is the type of box i'm talking about
ken

Bill Cunningham
12-06-2007, 7:55 PM
Is that because of regulations regarding the storage and transportation of firearms?

Vicky; It's only Canada that has a huge host of stupid idiotic laws regarding the storage, transportation, and display of 'legal' pistols, based on the Canadian Liberal myth that if you own a pistol, you 'must' be a criminal and therefore totally untrustworthy.. The criminal of course, is not bothered, or even affected by all these 'safeguards' As a result, Canada has no market for nice pistol display boxes