PDA

View Full Version : Truck Tie Down Questions

Bob Moyer
12-04-2007, 8:02 AM
I recently purchased a 2005 Tacoma with a Tonneau cover, the factory tiedowns are not available on the top rail due to the tonneau cover covering the rail where they normally would be.

I do have to clips on the bed in the rear, what other options do I have to tie do goods.

Jim Becker
12-04-2007, 8:22 AM
I had a cover on my Tundra when I owned it. So I put tie-down rings in the bed-itself in those areas front and rear of the wheel wells...out where they wouldn't interfere with the goods sliding into the bed.

Rob Russell
12-04-2007, 9:04 AM
I have a similar problem with my truck - the cover sits right on top of the bed rails. I used a tie down similar to these Bull Rings (http://www.realtruck.com/productline/701/145/1/keeper_bull_ring_stake_pocket_tie_downs.html). The ones I have aren't this specific brand, but you get the idea. They work well.

Joe Pelonio
12-04-2007, 9:07 AM
I had a cover on my Tundra when I owned it. So I put tie-down rings in the bed-itself in those areas front and rear of the wheel wells...out where they wouldn't interfere with the goods sliding into the bed.
We did that on my son's Dakota, screwed them into the sheet metal, with a dab of silicone to prevent rust, and be careful they don't protrude on the other side to where they will contact a tire when a load drops it down.

Another option that I saw somewhere, possibly JC Whitney or an online truck supply, was brackets that set into the rectangular holes on the top of the bed. They are inserted but the part going in toward the bed to hook up to is flat so the tonneau still seals. There's also an adjustable bar that fits across the bed, much like a shower curtain rod that can be put in to keep things from moving around.

I'm surprised it only came with two tie downs below, my Ranger has 4, in the corners, as did the rental F150 I had for the last few days. (still not enough)

Steven Wilson
12-04-2007, 2:23 PM
install two more tiedowns and then use a bednet