PDA

View Full Version : Peck Stow & Wilcox Double Head Adjustable Spanner

Todd Burch
12-04-2007, 7:25 AM
I recently acquired lots of tools, and in the mix is a Peck Stow and Wilcox double head adjustable spanner ("crescent" style wrench). I had never seen a double head spanner before, and my eyes REALLY got wide when I saw it was a P.S & W.

I've googled every which way I can think of and haven't been able to drum up any info on the wrench. Either it's so common nobody has bothered to write anything about it, or it's so rare that anyone who has one is not talking. (Or, my search skills have something to be desired... :eek: )

Anyone have any info on these?

Thanks, Todd

David G Baker
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Todd,
I found a double ended adjustable wrench when I typed "double headed Crescent wrench" It was in the antique tool area.

Todd Burch
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I found a bunch of non P.S. & W. double headed wrenchs too! I found one Bemis & Call that sold for $375. ;)

http://www.patented-antiques.com/Backpages/All_Archives/FARM/farm-wrench-archive.htm

Todd

Chris Padilla
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Pics, Todd? ;)

Mark Stutz
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Todd,
The recent LFOD tool auction in Indianapolis was done to coincide with a meeting of the Missouri Valley Wrench Clubhttp://home.neb.rr.com/mvwcnews/. You might be able to get some info by contacting them. All of the woodworkers at the auction were astounded by what some of these old patented wrenches brought at auction. Some of the collections on display were incredible. Good luck.

Mark

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
They were made exclusively for ambidextrous dyslexic tradesmen who didn't know whether they were loosening or tightening but could be confused with either hand

Todd Burch
12-05-2007, 4:23 PM
Pics, Todd? ;)

Pictures? I got your pictures! :D

40 pictures. First 2 are of the wrench. The others are the rest of the booty. I left them full resolution, so you can drool over the detail.

http://www.burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/Old%20Tools/Old%20Tools.html

Todd

Mark Stutz
12-05-2007, 6:11 PM
What did you do? Knock off some old, retired machinist?:D:eek:

Todd Burch
12-05-2007, 6:36 PM
My buddy's Dad, 77, is downsizing and moving. Doesn't need any of it anymore. I was obliged to remove it from the premises for him. Either that, or it was going to get left for the guy who's buying the house to deal with.

That's not all of it either.

Bruce Page
12-05-2007, 7:45 PM
Cool stuff there Todd. I'd like to have the Dumore.
I have the same inside mic set.

David G Baker
12-05-2007, 11:41 PM
The old Craftsman table saw is just like the one my dad had. Looks like you made out real good. I am one of the droolers.

Chris Padilla
12-06-2007, 9:44 AM
Wow.... You'll need to upgrade your "membership" here and start "BurchBay" going in the Classified section! Nice old stuff...what's it gonna take to part you from some of it? :D

Laurie Lingel
01-06-2008, 8:47 PM
I have recently come into possession of a double-headed crescent wrench with MFD.BY CRESCENT TOOL CO. JAMESTOWN, N.Y. on one side, and 8-10" DROP FORGED STEEL MADE IN U.S.A. on the other side.

It needs a little cleaninig, but otherwise its in great condition. Soon as i can get some fresh batteries in the camera, i'll upload some pics.

I also have searched around and found nothing on the internet except the one already cited. We have a local guy around here that collects antique tools; i'll try to track him down and see what he knows.

Bubba Davis
01-08-2008, 4:02 PM
Wow what a treasure you have. I would love to see what is inside all the little box's. Something to keep you occupied for a long time.