PDA

View Full Version : BS Striations/Stripes/Bumps

Malcolm Wheeler
12-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Very new newbie here when it comes to a bandsaw! Please forgive me if this question is blatantly obvious - I have no intention to offend. I have a Delta 28-276 with the riser, and a Viking 105" 3tpi 1/2" resaw blade - can anyone tell me why I am getting these stripes when cutting? Is there something I can do to stop this? (Picture is semi-green, partially dried cherry)

Jamie Buxton
12-03-2007, 11:40 PM
That kind of cutting pattern often means there's a kink in the blade. If it is an old blade and this is new behavior, you may have a partial crack across the blade. Look very carefully for it, or use the blade some more and it will eventually snap completely there. If it is a new blade, the kink is likely a poorly-done weld.

John Bailey
12-04-2007, 7:12 AM
I would agree with Jamie's assesment. While bandsaw don't leave the nice clean cut that a circular type saw leaves, that looks excessive to me.

One other thing, if the cut has been made out-of-line and the blade is twisted, that might also make a rough cut. If the cut was made with a fence, and the fence was not aligned properly, in effect you would have to force the cut into a twisted blade.

Just a thought.

John

Malcolm Wheeler
12-05-2007, 8:58 PM
There was indeed a twist in the blade, and as well as slight misalignment on the weld. So now the question - is it possible to "untwist" the blade or should I just toss it and get another one?

Jamie Buxton
12-05-2007, 9:40 PM
There was indeed a twist in the blade, and as well as slight misalignment on the weld. So now the question - is it possible to "untwist" the blade or should I just toss it and get another one?

You might have some success arguing with a manufacturer about a bad weld, if you still have the reciept. But then again you might not, and life is too short. You have maybe $20 in the blade? I'd just buy a new one -- maybe from a different vendor. For resaw on a 14" bandsaw, a lot of folks like the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware.