PDA

View Full Version : Thin kerf box hinge machine

Ed L Miller
12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a thin kerf hinge machine. This would be used to cut the thin slots so that a small barbed hinge will press into it. I currently have one of these blades and arbors on my drill press along with a miter slot jig I built to use it repetitively. The problem is I'm wanting to manufacturer more custom wooden boxes and this setup isn't the safest. I've been looking all over the place for something that would work, but no luck.

Anyone know of a manufacturer for some type of kerf cutting system?

Thanks!
-Ed

Todd Burch
12-03-2007, 10:53 PM
For a homemade solution, you could dedicate a regular corded hand drill into a box. At the top of the box, your existing arbor and blade would be sticking up and out (visualize a router table). Also on the box top, you could build a fence (visualize a router table fence) for safety.

Would that work?

Ed L Miller
12-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi Todd,

I thought about that type of setup as well. Ideally I'd like something that will plunge the blade into the stock from a downward position.

I found the following machine that will pretty much do what I need it to; other than allow for adjusting of the 'Y' axis.
http://www.craft-inc.com/prod_detail.aspx?riIDItem=227&riIDClass=65&riDeptID=4

I contacted craft inc. and this particular machine is $1200 (OUCH!!!) :eek:

I figured I'd see if anyone on here has come across one that is more around the $200-$300 range.

I may re-design the jig I have in order to make it safer. I'm in no real hurry, considering I need to build a CNC router to do the cool boxes in the first place.

Thanks
-Ed