PDA

View Full Version : Cedarberg Static Phase Converters

Tim McCready
12-03-2007, 7:58 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and have a question about Cedarberg static phase converters. I've been looking into various phase conversion schemes recently, and had just about settled on an American Rotary converter when someone at a local motor repair shop told me about Cedarberg. Their static converter is less than $200, and the guy at the repair shop insisted it would have no problem getting my 5HP 3-phase jointer started.

Has anyone had first-hand experience with a Cedarberg static phase converter, and if so, what did you think?

Lastly, I know their are kits out there for DIY rotary phase converters, but that's just not for me as I'm not a skilled electrician...at all!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Best,

Tim

Fred Voorhees
12-03-2007, 8:27 PM
Let me sidestep this thread for a second and say.....Tim, were you aware that you have the same name as last years World Of Outlaws DIRT Late Model champion? I would guess probably not...but here is a picture of him in action from this past season. I know this young man and have spoken to him numerous times over the past few years when he competed here in the Northeast in dirt track modified stock cars.

Ok, now back to your thread. Sorry.:D

Mike Heidrick
12-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi Tim. I have not used that model of static phase converter at all. I have used the Autogen 3-7HP model sold by Grizzly to start my Delta 50-764 5HP single stage dust collector. It works great. I have wired in an ideler 3phase motor as well but do not even use it much as it works perfect without it running. I bought it used for $100 shipped. They can be found fairly cheap. I did have to do my own wiring.

There are some extremely smart electrical guys here and they can tell you what you need.

Brian Ross
12-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I have an American Rotary phase converter 20 hp and it works excellent. I have had it about 3 years and not a hitch. My industrial electrician friend told me I was wasting my time as they do not work and that there would be a great flucuation in line voltage. I had previously heard this about static phase converters but I was told that rotary phase converters do not have this problem. The support from American Rotary was excellent as friend had numerous concerns and many phone calls later I was up and running. the 3 lines are within several volts of each other and they have been checked numerous times. I have a friend who runs two 100 hp rotary converters and has been running them for years.

Rick Christopherson
12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
It really makes no difference which static converter you buy because all they do is get the motor spinning. Once the motor is spinning, the converter is completely disabled. If you are going to buy a static converter, then just buy the cheapest. These off-the-shelf static converters are nothing more than motor starters, and once the motor is up to speed, it is left to single-phase.

A rotary converter is a different story. This type of converter actually does generate the third leg.

Also, a "Balanced Static Converter" is different from an off-the-shelf static converter. A balanced static converter does help generate the third leg. What separates a balanced static converter from a standard static converter is the presence of Run capacitors that are tuned to the size of the motor.

As the author of one of the best known internet articles on phase converters, I do endorse American Rotary because they have set up a parts page for people to buy the parts necessary to build their own converters. They also have an optional kit for converting a standard static converter into a balanced static converter.

I am in the process of rewriting my article on phase converters (plus more), but I wanted to also point out that my website is moving away from the AT&T domain that is has been at for 10 years. I finally acquired the waterfront-woods.com domain name, so my article for phase converters has moved to www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/phaseconverter.htm (http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/phaseconverter.htm)