PDA

View Full Version : It's time to pony up

Dave Anderson NH
12-03-2007, 7:19 PM
I stuck my nose in the thread Danny Thompson started about rehabbing planes and ran my mouth about the importance of mentoring. Now it's time to put my credability on the line. If you live in MA, NH, or within a reasonable drive of the Derry-Chester area of NH, I'll offer my services. While I'm by no means an expert, I've a reasonable bit of experience and just maybe I can ease your pain and get you going with less of a hassle. If I haven't made every mistake there is, I'm close and I probably have a friend who told me about the only one I didn't personally make. This is strictly a not for profit deal with my services absolutely free (weekends only). I encourage some of you other folks with experience to make the same offer in other areas of the country. We're all in this together.

It is both part of our mission statement and an article of faith in our NH guild that all of us have something to teach and all of us have something to learn.

Brian Weick
12-03-2007, 7:28 PM
Services?????? elaborate please,
Thank you
Brian:)

Zahid Naqvi
12-03-2007, 8:51 PM
Ah! if only we were so lucky in Arkansas. Honestly I am sure there are neanders hidden here somewhere I just need to find them. I know a couple of really skilled neanders, unfortunately one of them does it for a living and the other guys is a CEO of a very big local hospital. In both cases time is money and they rarely have any to spare.

Marcus Ward
12-03-2007, 9:23 PM
I'm in Missouri between Sedalia and Warrensburg. I don't know a lot, but I know how to get handtools ridiculously sharp, and some other interesting things. 320 miles north of you, Zahid, as the car drives.

Steve Wargo
12-03-2007, 9:36 PM
I'm always willing to offer my services as well. All you have to do is drop a note or give a call.

Mark Stutz
12-03-2007, 9:59 PM
Services?????? elaborate please,
Thank you
Brian:)

Brian,
Mentoring sevices. For anyone within 2 or 3 hours of Dave's...it's worth it to pay a visit to his shop. Once you pick up your jaw off the floor after looking at his tool wall, you find a very gracious and knowledgable host.

Mark

Mark Stutz
12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
If you're anywhere close to St. Louis, give me a call. Can't say I'm that much more experienced, but I've picked up a little, and we can muddle thru it together! Besides, shop visits are a lot of fun.

Mark

Zahid Naqvi
12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Hmm! Missouri folks are within range, now I need an excuse to travel that way.

Jim Koepke
12-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I stuck my nose in the thread Danny Thompson started about rehabbing planes and ran my mouth about the importance of mentoring. Now it's time to put my credability on the line. If you live in MA, NH, or within a reasonable drive of the Derry-Chester area of NH, I'll offer my services. While I'm by no means an expert, I've a reasonable bit of experience and just maybe I can ease your pain and get you going with less of a hassle. If I haven't made every mistake there is, I'm close and I probably have a friend who told me about the only one I didn't personally make. This is strictly a not for profit deal with my services absolutely free (weekends only). I encourage some of you other folks with experience to make the same offer in other areas of the country. We're all in this together.

It is both part of our mission statement and an article of faith in our NH guild that all of us have something to teach and all of us have something to learn.

I am willing to do a little travel to help another neander. If you need help in the North SF Bay Area, send me a note. I am fairly new at this, but I am pretty innovative when it is needed.

My thought is it is better to help someone with what they have instead of having them come to me and show them how to use what they do not have.

jtk

Denis Tranchemontagne
12-03-2007, 11:45 PM
I live pretty close, Bedford NH, and have tried to tune/restore one plane a number, not sure of the results as I have little to compare it. I also have a 5 that would be next on my list. So if the offer still stands, I would gladly take you up on it.

Denis

Dave Anderson NH
12-04-2007, 4:30 AM
Hi Denis,

I'll PM you and with my email and phone number. You're only half an hour or 40 minutes or so from me.

Dave

Jim Dunn
12-04-2007, 7:33 AM
I always have the coffee pot on. In fact I just got another new one:eek:. Just give me a PM first and I'll give you my mobile phone number and we'll jaw awhile.

Raymond Stanley
12-15-2007, 2:03 PM
...Just came across this thread, I realize its a little old. But I just want to say wow this is exceedingly generous. What a great group of people. I can personally attest to Steve Wargo's committment to helping others learn in a self-less manner. In addition to individual mentors, the creek as a whole acts as a mentor as well, and I have learned so much from it over the past year or so. Three cheers for those who mentor!

Dwain Lambrigger
12-15-2007, 4:41 PM
Anyone make this offer in the Phoenix area???

Steve Wargo
12-16-2007, 1:02 AM
Thanks for the kind words Ray. I'm always glad to help. FWIW, I'm headed to Oklahoma City for the whole month of January if anyone wants company. I've made my rounds a few times here and I'm always enjoying the shop visits.

Greg Cole
12-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Very nice offers... stuff like this is a big part of the reason I chose to become a part of this community and not just a lurker as on some other places in the virtual world. The "gift" of time is something in this day and age isn't something you get from many people.
Zahid, lumber runs are good reasons as any to get in a Creeker visit. I'll be taking Marcus up on his offer sooner 'n' later as I'm in KC.
Dave, I'll take you up on your offer my next trip to VT as I fly into Manchester and have tons of family back in VT (home to me still & always will be).
I'm still very much a newbie in the Neander world as I got my first decent hand tools about a year ago.... but the neander population in the shop isn't getting any smaller. :D

Cheers.
Greg

John Shuk
12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Dave it would be a pleasure just to stop and see the shop and hang for a while. The fact that you are being so generous with your time and knowledge could only make it better.

Dave Anderson NH
12-16-2007, 5:36 PM
I really enjoy meeting other hand tool woodworkers whatever their skill level. My shop is always open if I'm around and I've had a goodly number of Creekers drop by and visit. So far I've had 2 NH folks PM me to get contact info so we can set up a date. I really feel the need to do some real wooworking since for the last 3 months most of my time has been spent doing architectural interior stuff and painting. Yuck on the painting.

James Mittlefehldt
12-17-2007, 8:47 AM
The nearest person to me that inhabits these forums is Lois Bois and he is two hours away, though there was a guy in Ingersoll Ontario if memory serves, would love to get together though with ohters.

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but I don't know a lot about anything, and I only started this woodworking lark about seven or eight years ago.

I think that even if two guys got together both with a low level of experience they would still learn from each other and so both improve, and it is nice to talk to others with a shared interest. I found before I discovered that there were woodworking sites that I was constantly reinventing the wheel.

Generous of you Dave, and I should warn you I may be in New HAmpshire this summer coming or the one after, consider yourself warned. ( though I would be sure to bring a suitable bottle or two of Ontario's best wines)

Louis Bois
12-17-2007, 3:17 PM
Hey James, we should plan some sort of get-together in the new year...I'm sure we could find other like-minded individuals to play with:D

Perhaps we should plan to meet halfway at A&M woods in Cambridge and go from there...I know I can never have too much stockpiled lumber!

Danny Thompson
12-17-2007, 3:47 PM
Being more Newbie than Neander, I'd like to thank Dave for starting this thread and all the other volunteers (including the one who contacted me privately) for this kind of offer. Your generosity, with your time, advice, and opinions, is what this site is all about and why I became a contributor.

For any super-newb, I don't have much to offer--some leasons learned, a few tools (some cheap, some decent), some enthusiasm, and a little garage space. With that said, if you are in Memphis and need any help, holler.

James Mittlefehldt
12-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Hey James, we should plan some sort of get-together in the new year...I'm sure we could find other like-minded individuals to play with:D

Perhaps we should plan to meet halfway at A&M woods in Cambridge and go from there...I know I can never have too much stockpiled lumber!

Southworks antique mall is good too, I have often seen tools there, though like A & M not the cheapest place but interesting all the same.

Last time I was at Southworks, last weekend actually they had two old workbenches, you can tell those old guys were more interested in making a living rather than keeping it pretty.

Louis Bois
12-18-2007, 8:26 AM
though like A & M not the cheapest place but interesting all the same.

^I know what you mean...it always scares me a bit when wood is sold by the pound!!!:eek:

...and I've never been to Southworks...guess we'll have to firm something up when the snow lets up...

Heather Thompson
12-18-2007, 3:57 PM
This is the reason why I moved from member to contibutor in less than two months, the folks on this site really do care for woodworking and each other. I do not agree will all members on this site as to some issues, but I accept them all as very significant in this community, this is the best site that I visit. Thank you ALL for being here, please contribute to this site. :)

Heather

PS I may need to take a road trip, put my hand in another SMC members hand! I love the Creek.

James Owen
12-19-2007, 3:28 PM
Anyone make this offer in the Phoenix area???

Dwain,

Not quite the Phoenix area, but not too far away: Albuquerque, NM.

Certainly not an "expert", but have acquired some measure of skill tuning/rehabbing a couple dozen vintage planes and other hand tools during the last couple of years.

Would be more than happy to assist anyone in or visiting the Albuquerque area with tune-up, rehab, etc., of hand planes or other Neander tools. Feel free to PM me to arrange the details.