PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout

Jim Fox
12-03-2007, 6:18 PM
Need some guidance.........as I am really struggling trying to determine my initial layout.

I have placed the table saw on the image as it stands now. I needed to use it for a project and everything else is just a mess right now. As the table saw sits, I have 9' of space behind the blade at full height. To the left of the blade (towards the support pole = black dot) I have a fuzz under 4'

The Dust Collector is up in it's own cubby. When I redid that top wall, I made the decision to put the DC there, just under the end of the stairs. It's close to the door, and outta the way.

I just added the Steel City 14" Bandsaw to the collection this weekend.

Only things that's not on there are, mitre bench, wood storage and cabinet space. Router table is a future thing as well. Currently it resides in the ext table of the TS.

Suggestions? Thanks a bunch........I just can't seem to get a grasp on laying this out.

Brian Willan
12-03-2007, 6:53 PM
Need some guidance.........as I am really struggling trying to determine my initial layout.

I have placed the table saw on the image as it stands now. I needed to use it for a project and everything else is just a mess right now. As the table saw sits, I have 9' of space behind the blade at full height. To the left of the blade (towards the support pole = black dot) I have a fuzz under 4'

The Dust Collector is up in it's own cubby. When I redid that top wall, I made the decision to put the DC there, just under the end of the stairs. It's close to the door, and outta the way.

I just added the Steel City 14" Bandsaw to the collection this weekend.

Only things that's not on there are, mitre bench, wood storage and cabinet space. Router table is a future thing as well. Currently it resides in the ext table of the TS.

Suggestions? Thanks a bunch........I just can't seem to get a grasp on laying this out.

Jim

I would be inclined to leave the table saw where it is. If you need to work on something wider than the 4' of space that you have from the blade to that pole, then I would consider using a circular saw and a straight edge to break the panel down to a more manageable size.

I would place the miter saw bench along the wall that is 13'6". I would place the jointer along the 21'5" wall allowing for sufficient infeed and outfeed room. The planer would go on a mobile stand/cabinet and when in use would be positioned along the same wall as the jointer. The assembly table, I would put on the infeed side of the table saw. As for lumber storage, the easiest place to put that would be along the top part of the 21'5" wall closest to the door. No need to walk the lumber in any further than necessary.

I think that should get you started and where you place the rest of your tools will be up to you based on how you operate.

Cheers

Brian

Norman Hitt
12-03-2007, 7:01 PM
Jim, I would place the Jointer against the left end of the Table saw, (which would give you the same room to run boards across it as you have on the TS), then place the Drill Press on the 7' 2" entrance wall next to the corner with the 13' 6" wall, then place the Bandsaw about 2" from that corner against the 13" 6" wall, and the rest of the machines on mobil bases so you can use them wherever you wish, or move them out of the way if needed. I would also put castors on the assy/outfeed table that can be used when necessary like those on Norm's assy table in the New Yankee Work Shop. After using your shop for a while I'm sure you will see how your work flow develops and will determine the best positions for the remainder of your tools. The thing about the placement of the Drill Press and the Bandsaw is that both of those positions is that I believe they will give you plenty of room to work your materials on those machines without interference from other obstacles, OR creating an obstacle for the use of other tools.

Others may have better suggestions though.

Greg Sznajdruk
12-03-2007, 7:02 PM
Jim:

My shop is 2 1/2 years old so far I've shuffled the layout three times. Go with your gut and work in your shop and see how effective your lay out is in practice. If you want a second opinion ask the better half. Women seem to have a gene for arranging furniture and in my case an ability to position power tools for effective use. Also you get brownie points for asking for advise and if your really lucking a hand on cleaning up the shop..

Greg

Charles Wiggins
12-03-2007, 8:59 PM
I think this is where I'd start, just as an experiment...

Steve Kohn
12-03-2007, 9:06 PM
I would work from Charles layout but modify it. I would keep the post on the left of the saw. This allows you to do all your drops (power, dust collection, etc.) along the post. I would also move the jointer on that side of the table saw. Again I would use the post for power and dust collection coming down from overhead.

It is much more likely that you will need the width on the left side of the TS. I would put a workbench on the left side wall and make sure it is the same height as the saw table. This way it acts as a stand for your wide panels.

Why constrain yourself when you don't have to?

Mike Marcade
12-03-2007, 9:07 PM
I'm just trying to figure out why all your stuff is outside? Aren't you worried about it getting rained on? :D

keith ouellette
12-03-2007, 10:52 PM
My shop is about the same size as yours. Lumber storage should be your first consideration. Especially sheet goods and those left over pieces of sheet goods that you will want to keep. They build up fast.
I would put a rack on wheels along the 21'5" wall (up by the door) that would let you put full 4x8 pieces on front and smaller pieces on the back. That way you can wheel it out to get to the back or wheel it to the door to load up.
above that (about five feet off the ground) you can shelve lumber. There are many inexpensive lumber racks you can buy.
This would allow you to put the jointer along the same wall.
The 7'2" wall would be perfect for a counter and some storage cabinets.
I would put the band saw, drill press and oss on wheels and pull them out as you need them. This will give you more room. The more mobil the better.

Jim Fox
12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
The Bandsaw is on wheels.........thanks to Steel City

The Jointer is on wheels.........thanks to ShopFox

The OSS is on wheels..........thanks to me

The Planer is on wheels.........thanks to me

The Drill press is on impromptu wheels.........thanks to me

Table saw, I would like to put on wheels. Guess I should get that done.

Randy Klein
12-04-2007, 7:56 AM
I'd say just put them wherever you want and start building a project.

You're going to quickly realize where things should have gone.

Move them. Rinse, repeat.

I have a similar sized shop and have moved my tools around a few times as I've discovered annoyances.

Andrew Thuswaldner
12-04-2007, 8:45 AM
Hi Jim, What software tool are you using for the drawing and how did you get those detailed drawings of the equipment? I need to go through the same exercise as you only with a 10'x26' garage. Andrew

Bill Bryant
12-04-2007, 9:08 AM
I want to know about the software too.

Jim Fox
12-04-2007, 9:36 AM
It's Grizzly's Shop Planner

Thom Sturgill
12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't know about the ShopFox jointer, but my Griz sticks out so far in the back that I can place the (taller) router table at one end. It sits behind the plane of the jointer fence to there is no conflict and both get the benefit of the long wall. I would store the planer along the same wall and pull it out as needed. I like Charles' positioning of the TS/Table. Look at Jim Becker's design for a folding outfeed table. I posted pics of mine this past weekend. It works with a mobile saw.

Jerry White
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
It's Grizzly's Shop Planner

Jim,

How did you save the Grizzly plan into a jpeg format on your local computer? I have been unsuccessful in doing this so far.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jim Fox
12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I do a PRINT SCREEN and then edit it in photoshop. Trim it down is basically it.

chris del
12-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Jim...

I planned my shop out using Grizzly's program and in my mind a few hundred times but there is nothing like the real thing. Untill you get those machines in position and use them it is impossible to figure the best location for each machine. I rearanged my shop 3 times in the last 2 years. I finally realized that I require no space to the right of my table saw and tonnes of space to the left of the blade. I have now moved my saw against the wall on the right and what a improvment! Sure I can no longer walk around the table saw, by my cross cut capacity has been improved bigtime. I can now crosscut a full 8' sheet and no longer have to get out the circular saw!