PDA

View Full Version : Runnin' out of circuits...

Gary Chester
12-03-2007, 5:27 PM
Hey all,

Like I said… I’m running out of circuits in the panel in the shop, and I’m looking for a quick and dirty (and safe) way to get 220 to the Jet DC-1100 dust collector.

I have a 50 amp socket on a 50 amp breaker set up for the welder that I rarely use. Is it against code to put a 50 amp plug on the DC? Something about that doesn’t feel right… but it’s kinda the same as plugging a 100 watt light bulb into a 15 amp circuit using 18 gauge wire… except there’s a LOT more available power... hmmm

I’m guessing the proper and safer way is a small sub panel plugged into the 50 amp circuit with a 15 or 20 amp breaker feeding the DC.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Weick
12-03-2007, 5:32 PM
If you have some 110 breakers implimented in there now- you can purchase what I call "half breakers" 2 can go into one slot of the breaker panel - you would need 4 in total to free up the 2 slots for your 220 breaker, just make sure when you buy the half breakers they are the same amperage replacement.
Brian:)

Gary Keedwell
12-03-2007, 5:34 PM
Wow Bri...you sure get around....LOL I was going to say almost the same thing.
Gary

Gary Chester
12-03-2007, 5:34 PM
Thanks Brian... unfortunately, the panel is full of the little breakers already...

Brian Weick
12-03-2007, 5:42 PM
Wow Bri...you sure get around....LOL I was going to say almost the same thing.
Gary

hey ,I do what I can Gar, you get the next one-:D
Brian

Brian Weick
12-03-2007, 5:48 PM
- you know , I wouldn't mess around with over extending the amperage of that panel- do you know an electrician- you don't want overlaod the amperage rating for the structure , otherwise that dust colletor may turn into dust and hot ambers instead of being able to do what it was originally intended for, along with your shop and everything else in the building. Just my advice Gar, this is nothing to alter without knowing the specifications and limitations of the panel and line - my 2 cents.
Brian

Randy Klein
12-03-2007, 6:17 PM
Aren't there "half breakers" for 220 as well?

Tom Veatch
12-03-2007, 6:41 PM
Hey all,

I have a 50 amp socket on a 50 amp breaker set up for the welder that I rarely use. Is it against code to put a 50 amp plug on the DC? Something about that doesn’t feel right… ....

There is no problem with putting a 6-50 plug on your DC. There seems to be a widespread misconception that the breaker provides protection for the load plugged into the circuit. That is not the case. The breaker's function is to protect the wiring and the wiring devices from overload. Motors have (or should have) their own auto or manual reset over-temp devices.

My DC draws less than 20 amps in operation. It's on a circuit protected by a 30 amp breaker. The Dust Collector motor has it's own manual reset over-temp protection. The breaker protects the circuit, not the load.

On the other hand, it would be a very bad idea to replace the 6-50 receptacle with a smaller receptacle to match the plug on the DC (6-20?) unless you also replace the breaker with one properly sized to the replacement receptacle. A 15/20 amp receptacle would not be protected by the 50 amp breaker.

As you say, there's no difference between using your DC on that circuit and plugging a 100 watt lighting fixture into a 15 or 20 amp circuit, or for that matter, plugging a vacuum cleaner or your shop-vac with a, what, 5-7 amp motor into a 15 amp circuit. The breaker protects the circuit, not the load.

Greg Sznajdruk
12-03-2007, 6:42 PM
I may be wrong but I believe these are referred to as Ganged Breakers. Not to be confused this Tandem Breakers.

Greg