PDA

View Full Version : Can you clearcoat over vinyl?

Scott Shepherd
12-03-2007, 2:30 PM
I have a 1Shot painted sign that has some vinyl on it. I'd like to put a coat of clear on it all. Can I do that? If so, just rattle can clear?

Joe Pelonio
12-03-2007, 2:34 PM
I do it all the time, here's what I have used in order or preference but all work:

One Shot Chromatic Clear (spray gun)

Frog Juice (comes in can or in rattle can)

Krylon Crystal Clear (rattlecan) On this one use 2-3 light coats rather than one heavy coat on the vinyl.

Scott Shepherd
12-03-2007, 2:38 PM
Thanks Joe, I have some Crystal Clear here. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Mike Null
12-03-2007, 3:51 PM
Joe

Have you had any problem with Frog Juice peeling?

Joe Pelonio
12-03-2007, 4:14 PM
No, but I haven't used it in a few years now since I ran out, and only the regular can that I sprayed from a gun. Never tried the rattle can version.
I discovered that the Chromatic is a harder finish and is locally available for about the same price.

Scott Shepherd
12-04-2007, 2:24 PM
Just a heads up. You can't paint Krylon Crystal Clear over 1Shot paint. It causes the 1shot to krinkle up like you put paint remover on it. DOHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Back to the drawing board.

Joe Pelonio
12-04-2007, 3:09 PM
Ouch! :(

I guess I never ran into that combination. Sorry for leading you astray!

Scott Shepherd
12-04-2007, 3:48 PM
Not your fault Joe, I should have learned my lesson earlier in the year. I went through the same thing painting Krylon over Rustoleum. Did the same thing. I should have realized it would have messed it up and at least been smart enough to do the flat backside instead of the detailed front side :)

I don't know what's in Krylon but it really hates and attacks something in all the other brand name paints. It doesn't play well with others :(

Ed Peters
12-05-2007, 1:50 AM
The MSDS for any product on the market is available on the internet and it will tell you "WHAT"S IN IT" with a quick glance. You really should be looking at these and be prepared for the future when you will be required to keep these on hand just like the big boys. As to Krylon, the most popular of their rattle can products is a lacquer base which would explain the alligator treatment on your base coat. Lacquer dries fast but it doesn't play well with others.

Ed

Scott Shepherd
12-05-2007, 9:47 AM
Hi Ed, I have all the MSDS sheets. Problem with that is that I don't know which chemicals in any product cause the problems on other products. I've never understood paint in my life. I'd love to understand it, and I know it's not difficult, but I have no friends, co-workers, or mentors who know anything about paint, so I'm totally in the dark when it comes to what I can and can't do.