PDA

View Full Version : Performax deal was too good to be true - cancelled

Larry Heflin
12-03-2007, 1:20 PM
They said it was a mistake. Just got an email and the order was cancelled because the actual price was more than the posted price. Oh, well!

Here's the statement:

Thank you for shopping with Home Decor Products.

While we do our best to post accurate pricing on the website, occasionally an error occurs and a product is mispriced. The product that you ordered was accidentally listed.

As per our posted pricing policy, if an item’s correct price is higher than the stated price, we may cancel the order. Please allow this email to serve as notice of cancellation. If you would like to purchase the product, please visit our website or call our sales department at 800.540.3205_and reorder it at the corrected price.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Jason Stein
12-03-2007, 1:42 PM
Someone posted a thread a few days ago asking if Hechinger is a legitimate site. Well, after they cancelled my order, guess what my answer is.

Rob Bodenschatz
12-03-2007, 1:45 PM
This has been my only experience with Hechinger.

This will be my only experience with Hechinger.

dave rollins
12-03-2007, 2:28 PM
Larry
Just got the same e-mail. Just wondering how a Performax sander is a home decor product?
I will also have to agree with Rob that this has been my only experience with Hechinger and will be my last.
Dave

Fred Voorhees
12-03-2007, 5:08 PM
Just a question. Isn't it some sort of rule (I guess probably not) that if you see a price advertised and pay - or order- the said item, the purveyor has to honor the quoted price? I have known many examples of this in the past. One right off of the top of my head is once my Brother and a fishing buddy of his happened to be in a Dicks Sporting Goods - or another like store and they noticed a mess of fishing rods, like fifteen or twenty of them, marked at some rediculous price. I think $5 per rod. I'm talking rods that should have been around $35 to $40 per and they thought it was a mistake. They took one to the customer service desk or register to ask about them and they were told that if that is what they were marked, that is what they were entitled to pay for them. They snagged them all.

Dave Lehnert
12-03-2007, 5:32 PM
Just a question. Isn't it some sort of rule (I guess probably not) that if you see a price advertised and pay - or order- the said item, the purveyor has to honor the quoted price? I have known many examples of this in the past. One right off of the top of my head is once my Brother and a fishing buddy of his happened to be in a Dicks Sporting Goods - or another like store and they noticed a mess of fishing rods, like fifteen or twenty of them, marked at some rediculous price. I think $5 per rod. I'm talking rods that should have been around $35 to $40 per and they thought it was a mistake. They took one to the customer service desk or register to ask about them and they were told that if that is what they were marked, that is what they were entitled to pay for them. They snagged them all.

A retailer is allowed to correct any mistakes. But most will often honor the price as a customer service. For something to be “false advertisement” as a lot of people like to quote, needs to be proven a company purposely set out to defraud a consumer. A simple mistake does not count.
Working in retail myself for many years I can tell you that such a mistake is a very bad thing in the customers eyes. A retailer would have no reason to purposely do such a thing. What would they have to gain? Already many in this post has said what they think of the company in question. Advertising no company wants. It would be devastating to all of us if a law was past that all ad prices must be honored no matter what. What if you were selling your car in the Trading Post and the ad came out with the price $1500 not $15000 like you wanted. I think you would agree a correction would be in order for all involved.

Mark Smith, too
12-03-2007, 5:46 PM

I think some states require this policy for stores in state. Connecticut started to do this some years ago. I don't think its ever been required for catalog sales and Internet sales.

Randy Klein
12-03-2007, 6:22 PM
But most will often honor the price as a customer service.

I've seen this happen a few times already. But instead of honoring what would be a large loss, companies issued a gift card of some amount to compensate for the annoyance.

While not as great as getting the "steal", at least it keeps you semi-happy enough to shop with again.

In this case though, it doesn't seem they did that.

Mike Heidrick
12-03-2007, 8:20 PM
That would have been the deal of the season for sure. Too bad it did not pan out.