PDA

View Full Version : No dice sharpening HF tools

Burt Alcantara
12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
In a previous thread I wrote about the trouble I was having sharpening my Kelton HF tools. All replied to hone with a coarse hone.

Went to Woodcraft and got a coarse hone. Followed the instructions in that thread by honing up the edge but nothing seems to be happening. I have a set of Bosch tools that I've begun to use. They are very sharp and cut well. Eventually, I will have to re-edge them as well. I'm assuming the hone is the way to go. Unfortunately, I'm getting nowhere with this technique.

Should I use a different hone? What about the angle?

I hone my skews regularly. They are sharp enough to shave with so I am not unfamiliar with hones.

Burt

JerHall
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
because it would rapidly eliminate the hollow grind on the business end and shorten the life of the tool. I use a medium to fine stones; Lacer's stone works pretty well. It is tempting to use a course stone because it raises a big old burr.

I find I use the Kelton's for finishing and smoothing cuts, and am much happier with boring bars (3/16 cutters) for mucking out the bulk stuff. Regrinding the Keltons once you have lost that hollow grind is problematic it seems to me. And you really need the hollow grind to hone effectively. You have to bridge the two high spots on the grind. Also, every so often I clean off the burr and refine the top by gently honing with a fine stone, and start with a new burr. Remember, "sharp" is two equally smooth intersecting surfaces, and this apply to scraper burrs as well.

Just my (limited) experience so far....

Christopher K. Hartley
12-03-2007, 4:20 PM
Burt can you send a close-up of the tips of your Keltons? I believe it is one of two things, can't tell for sure without seeing it. Thanks :)
In a previous thread I wrote about the trouble I was having sharpening my Kelton HF tools. All replied to hone with a coarse hone.

Went to Woodcraft and got a coarse hone. Followed the instructions in that thread by honing up the edge but nothing seems to be happening.

Frank Kobilsek
12-03-2007, 5:22 PM
Burt,

I owned a set of Sorby Hollowtorture tools. At the Lousiville Symposium I saw Trent Bosch take his boring bars to the grinder and with the corner of the wheel lightly grind the tips. Easy, fast and effective. I bought his bars that day and larger set since. When the tip gets too short I'll replace them. The grinder is your friend; stones,diamond hones, etc. are for carvers IMHO.

Frank