PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew Finishing

Burt Alcantara
12-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Yesterday, I tried a finish I'd read about somewhere from these threads. BLO to "pop" the grain and SealCoat to seal. Both frictioned in. Applied this to a couple of Willow boxes. I was very pleased with the results. As soon as I buff them up I will post the pictures.

The Willow is white with subtle figure. I'd like to accentuate this more then the BLO allows. Perhaps a slight honey/amber tinge? What would be a good way to add more warmth?

I want to apply this same accent to Elm. While the Elm is already striking, I'd like to bring out the striations even more. What's a good formula for that?

Thanks,
Burt

mel dunlap
12-03-2007, 9:16 PM
stabilization is a wounderful thing. it will seal the wood and also bring out the grain with a clear stabilization. a dyed stabilization, such as a lite orange or brown will enhance this even more. upon finish sandding, just buff the stabilized finish for a soft beautiful finished look.:)

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2007, 10:20 PM
stabilization is a wounderful thing. it will seal the wood and also bring out the grain with a clear stabilization. a dyed stabilization, such as a lite orange or brown will enhance this even more. upon finish sandding, just buff the stabilized finish for a soft beautiful finished look.:)

Ok Mel.....tell me more about this stabilization.
What is it?
How's it done?

Maybe tell us about it in a new thread.

BTW Burt, experimenting with finishes and home-brewed finishes can bring on rather outstanding results every once in a while. ;)

Tim Gruss
12-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Tung oil cut 50/50 with mineral spirits will give you the warm feeling your looking for. This will add a red-orange tint to your base wood. Woodcraft 100 percent pure Tung Oil is what I found to be the best. If you forget to cut the oil it will take a very very long time to dry. I give it 1 week when cut 50/50.