PDA

View Full Version : Wax finish

ryan kelley
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
I started to apply a wax (carnuba) finish to a piece I just turned but stopped and decided that I would rather put a poly finish on it. I just don't know how to remove the wax that has been applied. Also I buffed it with tripoli. What steps do I have to take to remove what is now there.

Wayne Bitting
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
400 grit sand paper is about all I can think of.

Alex Elias
12-04-2007, 4:03 AM
May be even coarser. You'll load the 400 in no time. Try 400 and work the grit down to what does the best job and from there work back up to fine grit.
Good luck

Jim Becker
12-04-2007, 5:10 AM
You may have some success in using mineral spirits to help disolve some of the wax before you sand. But you might want to consider using a non-poly varnish as well as it will ease the 'sensitivity' issue that you suffer with poly...which doesn't even like to stick to itself. IMHO, polyurethane's only job is for floors. Nearly every other use for varnish is better handled by an alkyd or phenolic varnish. They look better and buff out better...

Bill Wyko
12-04-2007, 1:07 PM
There's a product called wax & grease remover in the automotive paint industry. It's readily available at paint supply shops. i've never had it discolor anything and it has worked on everything I've put it on. PM me if you need more details.

robert hainstock
12-04-2007, 3:45 PM
You will have to get any trace of the wax off before applying any finish. the product mentioned above should work, or a can of "Furniture Refinisher" you can pick it up at most any hardware or building suppliy. Apply and rub down completely with 0000 steel wool. Then you will most likely get to polish it again. GOOD LUCK!
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2007, 7:34 PM
I have used mineral spirits to wipe in down good and then started sanding at 220, 320, then 400 to bare wood. Then I went back with spray can lacquer instead of poly. No problem with the finish.