PDA

View Full Version : Basement Support Pole (WIP) w/ Pic

Lars Thomas
02-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Hey Folks. I’m six months into finishing the basement (2/3 of it anyhow). I have yet to finish this pole and put in the cabinets for the wet bar. I have two support columns in just about the worst place you could imagine. The picture below shows how I am dealing with them. I have covered the bottom 60% (somewhere around the Golden ratio, I think) with MDF panels and a nice wide base molding. The top is going to have cherry panels with a ‘hidden’ cabinet (the cabinet is place already – look closely) behind one of the panels The idea is for the ‘door’ to have no exposed hardware. I’m thinking of using drawer slides instead of hinges (i.e.: the door would open by sliding it to the right rather then swinging open like a traditional door.)

If anyone has other ideas for the ‘hidden’ cabinet, I’d love to hear about them.

Once complete, I'll post fininshed pixs. Enjoy. Lars

Dave Brandt
02-17-2004, 2:07 PM
Looks great so far! You could try one of the hidden hinges or Euros and use a magnetic catch so no hardware would be showing. Just push on the door and voila, it pops right open. Let's see it when your done.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2004, 2:55 PM
Lars,

Your photo is WAY too large. Could you fix the picture or PM me with your email address and I'll send you the pic cropped appropriately. There is a lot of unnecessary white space in it.

Thanks!

Ken Salisbury
02-17-2004, 3:22 PM
Lars,

Your photo is WAY too large. There is a lot of unnecessary white space in it.

Thanks!

Not anymore - since I have already fixed it :D "Your friendly Moderator"

Scott Neblung
02-17-2004, 4:02 PM
.....cuz I spied some toys in the background and I know from experience (30 yrs or more ago) that Tonkas and wood dont mix very well !!!

Nice post cover BTW...

Scott

Chris Padilla
02-17-2004, 4:17 PM
Lars,

Thanks to Ken for fixing the pic...it was a bit tedious to read the post! :)

I'm not sure I undestand the hardware needed to make the door sliding but if you make it swing open, they have hardware that if you push on the door, a little bumper will push the door open. It is spring activated. I plan to use this on an EC I am working on now.

Very nice covering of the post.

Dale Thompson
02-17-2004, 9:17 PM
Not anymore - since I have already fixed it :D "Your friendly Moderator"

Ken,
Since the question has come up, what size pictures do you recommend? :confused: 300 pixels, 400 pixels, etc. I've got a new digital camera which I think can do ANYTHING except make me smart enough to use it. No hurry on THIS one. I've never made anything worth posting anyway. :o

Thanks,
Dale T.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2004, 9:27 PM
Dale,

Take pics of any size you like but when you post them here, resize them to a width of no more than 700 pixels (600 is probably the safest). I believe this size will fit nicely for most folk's viewing pleasure.

Bruce Page
02-17-2004, 9:39 PM
Ken,
Since the question has come up, what size pictures do you recommend? :confused: 300 pixels, 400 pixels, etc. I've got a new digital camera which I think can do ANYTHING except make me smart enough to use it. No hurry on THIS one. I've never made anything worth posting anyway. :o

Thanks,
Dale T.

Dale, I have pretty much settled on 500 X 375 for posting on SMC. They are not too big but big enough to show good detail. See below

Dale Thompson
02-17-2004, 9:57 PM
Dale,

Take pics of any size you like but when you post them here, resize them to a width of no more than 700 pixels (600 is probably the safest). I believe this size will fit nicely for most folk's viewing pleasure.

Thanks Chris,

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
02-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Dale, I have pretty much settled on 500 X 375 for posting on SMC. They are not too big but big enough to show good detail. See below

Bruce,
Thanks! I'll take THAT background at ANY pixel size!!

Dale T.