PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix a Yankee spiral screwdriver

Larry Conely
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
I have several Yankee spiral screw drivers. Two of them have broken return springs. I have tried disassembly to get at the springs, but cannot figure out how to get the mechanism out of the handle. I can get the retaining barrel, selector and pawls out. There appears to be no pin or other fastening devise to undo. Is this a press fit?

To add to my confusion, while searching the internet for help, I found a site that said many of these did not have springs. Not being an expert, I have always assumed if the mechanism did not spring out, it had a broken spring.

Any words of wisdom on fixing/determining the condition of my Yankee?

Thanks,

Larry

James Davis
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
A lot of them didn't have return springs. I have seen these refereed to as "Safety" models. The ones that I have are way too smooth to have a broken spring hanging around in there. I think the remnants of the spring would interfere with smooth operation. I like the ones with the springs so I tend to reach for those more often.

If you will follow this link, http://www.stanleytools.com/xhtml/literature/RepairPartsCatalog0304.pdf you will be able to find the parts that you need to repair these. zThere are also exploded views of the parts, these may help in dissassembly. I have never been able to get one of these apart and back together. I remember taking my dad's apart when I was younger and in that "I need to see what makes it work stage." Neither he nor I could get it working again. I think that was about the time he told me that I could take a screwdriver and screw up an anvil.

Hope this helps,
James Davis

Larry Conely
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
James,

That helps. I recognize all the parts in the blow-ups from my disassembly and reassembly. I guess I have one without a spring.

Thanks,

Larry

Bill Houghton
12-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Although I'm not sure about this, I believe it's the case that the Yankee (North Bros or Stanley) screwdrivers with three-digit model numbers starting with "1," like "135," etc., have springs, and those with two-digit numbers ("30") don't. Some of them have "A" suffixes; not sure what that means.

I've heard some of this information but forgotten it, and the above attempt to restart my brain is based on looking at the four examples in my toolbox.

Ken Martin
12-04-2007, 1:02 AM
I was told once that the ratchet screwdrivers were dangerous and I should remove the spring from mine. So I think many springs were removed by people in the past.

Check this link for ordering parts:
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/yankeeratcheting.html

Ken

Royce Meritt
12-04-2007, 2:01 PM
I own quite a number of "Yankees". However, I'm not looking at them right now so my info might be a little off but it will be close enough to point you in the right direction.

An example:

The following are all essentially the same screwdriver.

Yankee 30 (no spring)
Yankee 130 ( same as #30 w/spring)
Yankee 30A (minor design change from #30; no spring)
Yankee 130A (same as #30A w/spring)

The same numbers apply to all of the sizes, etc. in the Yankee line such as: #31, #31A, #131, #131A; 35, 135, etc, etc.

I am by no means an expert but know a little about the Yankee line. My understanding is that the main reason for there being both a spring loaded and non-spring loaded model of the same screwdriver has to do with the intended use. A Model #30 (no return spring) essentially requires 2 hands to operate. One hand grips the handle, the other grips near the bit so that after the handle is pushed it takes 2 hands to retract the handle. The spring-loaded model (such as a #130) allows for one hand operation (such as in a tight fitting area where both hands can't reach). One hand pushes the handle down, spring returns to full extension and push again.

Harry Goodwin
12-05-2007, 7:32 PM
Years ago my carpenter father's directions were to remove the spring from the large yankee for safety reasons. Particularly one's eyes. Left the spring on the mid and small size since they could be controled easier. So my large one has no spring and my small model does. Harry

Christopher Curry
04-03-2013, 1:50 PM
In case anyone is looking here now: I think there is no difference in the workings of the Yankee spiral ratchet screwdrivers of the same size (that is to say the spiral shafts, gears and pawls are identical) The pawls eventually get worn off on the working edges and then the gear teeth slip past the beveled worn pawls, particularly on the forward (clockwise) turning of the screwdriver. I wore out my first set of pawls on my first large 131-A (comes with spring) from 1974 to 1996 when I bought the last one on the shelf (since 1992) about 1996. I might have worn it out too but I finally started using battery operated screw drivers. Some people have taken out the pawls and not been able to return then in the right order. If you have just one mark how the pawls go in: It is either correct or incorrect with the worn part of the pawls down engaged in the gears. You can't turn them around because the pawls can only go in and operate one way. If you hold the handle toward your belly, place the pawl into the slot as Capitol "L" and the other one at 180 degrees from that (so no matter how you turn it -the nearest pawl to you is a capital "L". The "forward" pawl will always be more worn so you may get some slight more forward use if you switch the upper and lower (reverse won't work). HOWEVER, that same wear from the worn off pawls is going to be distributed to the gear teeth so the obvious solution is to replace the Pawls with new ones (WHICH I CAN'T FIND!!). so I'm trying to find someone to make them or figure out how to duplicate them myself. Any one know ? I know there is a German Company making them now but I can't find anyone supplying the pawls.