PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Good Morning
3 Dec 2007
The LOML and our 24th Wedding Anniversary

Today is a very special day to the LOML and I. 24 years ago today, we were married (during a tornado, severe storm, and during the Alabama / Auburn football game...) what timing eh?!?! That was also the time when the LOML's little brother tried to toss a frog in our car as we were departing the wedding and I closed his hand in the car door. It was very dark outside and raining so hard you could hardly see....I just didn't see him and was just trying to close the door. He has healed well since that night and we all have a great family relationship to this very day.

Shop related....I did get a couple of Christmas ornaments made and one I need to pack and ship to my ornament exchange buddy, Ben Gastfriend.
Today, I will be machining the walnut stock for the Walnut Kitchen Table for the neighbors down the street. At least this one will be more of a paying project than any of the one I have done previously. This is at "their" request and not mine. I am grateful for them being willing to pay what it really should be worth.

Yesterday was warm enough for shortsleeve shirt and flip-flops and today is cold enough to require real shoes and at least a flannel shirt. I'm fairly warm natured so for me to put on a flannel shirt? The LOML says it's cold...but it's really not "cold" here yet.

I did get one of the wine cabinets finished and delivered it to my customer just before Thanksgiving and they were very happy to have it and were very satisfied with the quality of work in "their design".

Gotta nice fire in the woodstove today and enjoying a nice cup of coffee and what a way to start the day.

So what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Saturday, I managed to move everything to the east side of the shop. Sunday, I assembled my new lathe and extension bed for it.

On an added note, it seems that my vertigo attacks have been put into remission for a couple of weeks now by some medicine the ENT prescribed for me. Talking with my little brother in Wyoming yesterday, his vertigo attacks were managed by the same medicine. It's really nice to not have those attacks because they were really starting to effect my life! After you've had 3 attacks in one day you are a little hesitant to get up on a ladder 10' in the air.

My counter part at work was back last week but leaves this morning and won't be back until the 17th. It will probably get very busy professionally!

alex grams
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Nothing very woodworking related,but:

tore up all of the linoleum and trim in the laundry room, scraped glue for about 5 hours, then put down some tile (travertine look, but porcelain). Now to grout it this week, then will paint the walls with a chair rail in the middle (dark below, light paint above), then put all of the trim/molding back in around the doors/floor.

Then, I have added two new cabinets above the washer and dryer (very rudimentary utilitarian cabinets i am just going to paint white). One is two shelves high, the other is half the height, and I am going to match them level on their tops on the wall, and use the space under the smaller one to put a clothes hanger rack to hang shirts and such on. Then I have yet to build a shelf for the left side of the cabinets (the wall cuts to a 45 for about 2 feet before making another 45 to be square again with the room, if that makes sense). So i am going to build a shelf to compliment the 45 and fit along the angle to give more storage space for miscellaneous laundry stuff!

PS: Linoleum glue sucks, and there is no decent way to remove it, I was just lucky that a lot of it had gone brittle and chipped up decently, but i still have many blisters to show for my efforts.

Oh yeah, also got some cheap chisels from woodcraft and a coping saw so i can start practicing hand-cut dovetails (once I learn i can reasonably do dovetails, i will reinvest in some more quality chisels. Also purchased a 4' miter slot to install on my router table that will be a big help.

Dave Sinkus
12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Happy Anniversary Dennis, and many more !!!!

Started applying the finish on a new entry door. I didn't do the construction of the piece, but am applying spar varnish and installing. It's tedious, but I enjoy looking at the beautiful grain patterns in the rift sawn white oak.

Rod Torgeson
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
First off, Happy anniversary Dennis. You say your yesterday was warm enough for a short sleeve shirt and flip flops. I got about 15 to 16 inches of snow yesterday. So instead of watching the grass grow, I watched the snow get deeper and deeper. Did spend a little time in the shop puttering.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

JayStPeter
12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
The garden bench project is coming along nicely. I got the main structure ready for sanding and the top glued up. I also stopped at West marine for some finishing supplies.

Jay

Earl Reid
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Happy anniversary , Dennis and the Mrs.
I continued making ornaments, we are sending about 50 to friends and reletives.
Earl

David Duke
12-03-2007, 1:12 PM
Congratulation Mr and Mrs. Peacock, hope you have many more!!!!!!!

I installed the bookcase I've been working on http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70324 Saturday morning, that afternoon I worked out in the yard trying to get it cleaned up to put out Christmas decorations. Sunday I spent ALL day (7 - 7) putting out decorations and finishing up the lights on the house, kinda glad to get back to work so I can rest!!!!!

Derek Tuchscherer
12-03-2007, 1:21 PM
Quite cold here all weekend (-4 F) so spent most of my time in the house finishing and installing a new murphy bed...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70469...nice to be done!

Derek

Tyler Howell
12-03-2007, 1:31 PM
Hey Dennis, Congats to you and the Bride,

Lots of shop time but it was all power tool tear down and packing. Had movers come and haul out the DJ20, PM 66, BS, Performax 22-44 and a few other odds and ends.
They only squealed on the DJ20. Nothing was dropped or broken. Lets see if I can get them delivered and out of the trailer with the same record.
Floors are sanded and buffed with 2 coats of poly. 1 to go.
6" of fresh powder over the weekend. 20" up at the new place.:D
Have a safe week.

Jim Becker
12-03-2007, 7:31 PM
24? Wow, Dennis...congratulations!!!

No woodworking pursuits this past weekend due to work-work. Oh, well...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2007, 8:21 PM
Congrats Dennis to you and the missus!

Mike Marcade
12-03-2007, 9:04 PM
Dennis,

Contrats on your accomplishment!

I manged to watch the following games on TV:

MAC Championship - Miami of Ohio vs. Central Michigan
ACC Championship - Virginia Tech vs. Boston College
SEC Championship - LSU vs. Tennesee
part of USC vs. UCLA until ....
BIG 12 Championship - Missouri vs. Oklahoma
Hawaii vs. Washington

While doing all of that I did manage to assemble the stand for my Dewalt thickness planer. :D

Joe Mioux
12-03-2007, 9:17 PM
Congrats Dennis on your anniversary.

Got out in the garage Sunday afternoon. Did a glue up a work bench top.

Jennifer came out in the garage and pleaded with me to get the chisels out so she could do some chopping. She actually chopped a couple pretty nice mortises in some scrap until she decided to one really big mortise.

She had fun, I listened to the Rams and read a magazine.

Great time spent!

joe

Victor Stearns
12-03-2007, 9:33 PM
Congrats Dennis and Mrs Dennis
My own 24 is in 9 short months! Need to knock her off her feet! Uum?!
Spent some shop time Sat night. Building an small bookcase and closet for my son's bedroom. As he plans to paint this, I used birch ply and spent the best part of 2-3 hours ironing on edgemate to hide the ply.
Best part was the shop time!

Matt Meiser
12-03-2007, 9:54 PM
Congratulations to the Peacock's!

I spent Friday night shopping with my mom for stuff for their upcoming bathroom remodel. Apparently they like mine so much I'm now doing theirs. Then Saturday I spent the day putting in a new furnace in my dad's shop. His freebie ducted furnace died and wasn't worth repairing so I put in a Hot Dawg unit for him. Sunday I finished up construction and sanding on the easel for my daughter and packed for a week of work travel--spent the whole day flying today. Did you see me wave on my way through MSP Tyler? :D

Don Bullock
12-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Congratulations Dennis on your 25th anniversary.

I didn't get any shop time this weekend. On Saturday three of our basset hounds were in the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Invitational Show nearby in Long Beach, California. One of our girls received an Award of Excellence which means that she was in consideration by the judge for Best of Breed. This is definately a high honor, especially considering that she from our breeding. Our co-breeder showed her (pictured below).

CH Woebgon'e Kickapoo Joy Juice aka "Joy" - Yes, she's the joy of our lives right now.:D

Jim O'Dell
12-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Congrats Dennis and wife!

Slept late Sat. Poked around the house doing some internet searches til after lunch. LOML left for something with the rescue dogs. I thought about going to the shop...went so far as to go to the closet and grab my shoes. Decided to lounge around instead. My heart just wasn't into it. Had my company's Christmas party Sat night. Man! WHAT A CHANGE!! All the company Christmas parties I have ever been to before were drunk fests, and cigarette smoke so thick you couldn't see what you were eating. Not even a beer at this one!! Their Christmas celebration is for the kids of the people that work there. A nice catered traditional Christmas meal, held in a rodeo arena. Half was for the food and a line for the kids to have their pictures taken with Santa. No charge, and the kids each got an envelope with $40.00 cash!! The other half of the arena had 4 of the big blow up "jump houses"! One traditional bounce room, one obstacle course, another that had multiple objects, and a cliff climb, with spotters and harnesses! The kids had a blast. Most wouldn't stop to eat. :D:D Bet they slept well that night. Such a refreshing view for a company to take.
Sunday, I did spend in the shop. Got the pieces for the drawer sides cut and ready to assemble, still need to cut the bottoms out. Cut and put 2 sides in on the Router table so I can make the supports for the drawer slides. One took for ever. It has the master switch cut into it, and the opening for the dust collection to hook up. I'll finish that up this weekend. Jim.