PDA

View Full Version : New Unisaw Purchase

Rob Anthony
12-03-2007, 8:12 AM
Greetings,

I recently found this site while researching some new woodworking purchases. What a great site!!! Some of the threads on here inspired me to bite the bullet and buy a used Unisaw.

My most recent purchase is this 1966 Unisaw from an online auction site. It's a 2hp 3ph version. From the pictures, it appears to be in decent shape, but I won't know for sure until I pick it up. I don't even know if it has the motor cover since I found it right before the auction ended and didn't have enough time to ask questions. However, it was only 20 miles from my home and I like the idea of restoring a classic.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/homebrewer27/6dc5_1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/homebrewer27/6f4b_1.jpg

Since the motor is 2hp 3ph, it gives me a few options for running this saw. I can purchase a VFD for about $150 or just replace the motor with a 220, 1ph which would be more expensive but would also bring me up to the 3 hp range and most likely require a new switch and other components as well.

The Jetlock fence will probably get replaced, but my first priority will be making sure it's running well. It may need new bearings, belts, motor work, or who knows...

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. This site is fantastic!!! I'm sure that I'll be popping in to ask questions and advice during the restoration process.

Jack Clay
12-03-2007, 10:19 AM
I have been looking for an old saw for awhile and have been doing a lot of research on Unisaws. If all goes well I will pick up a 1940’s model this weekend. What I had to decide was, do I want a vintage saw or a combination of both. I decided to have old saw quality and modern technology. I am going to change all the electrical parts, belts, bearings, and fence. You can by 3 HP direct replacement motors online for less than 300 dollars. Good luck with your project.

Bob Genovesi
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Rob,

Welcome!

That's a great looking saw. I used to use one of those when I was in High School back in the late 60's.....

Wouldn't mind having it now!

Ryan Eldridge
12-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I just purchased a 12 year old unisaw and it is great to have. I am sure you will enjoy restoring the saw and creating some fun projects with it.

Michael Gibbons
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek. Thats a decent looking saw for as old as it is. If you need answers, this is the place to get 'em. We need timely updates with pics you see.. The Pic Police patrols here.