PDA

View Full Version : Drill press hole saw

aurelio alarcon
02-17-2004, 8:40 AM
I have been thinking about buying a hole saw for my drill press. It is the type that has a blade on one end and can be adjusted to make different sizes. Anyone have experience with this type of hole maker. And if so, what's the consensus?

Ray Dockrey
02-17-2004, 8:54 AM
I believe they are called fly cutters. Make sure you clamp the work piece down and watch your knuckles. I have had one for many years and they come in handy. I use mine mostly for cutting holes out in jigs or brackets to accomodate dust collector hookups. On mine, you can turn the cutter around and cut out circles. Good luck and hope this helps.

Tyler Howell
02-17-2004, 9:06 AM
I believe they are called fly cutters. Make sure you clamp the work piece down and watch your knuckles. I have had one for many years and they come in handy. I use mine mostly for cutting holes out in jigs or brackets to accomodate dust collector hookups. On mine, you can turn the cutter around and cut out circles. Good luck and hope this helps.

I've seen a few modals, one blade two blades, Ditto on clamp your work. Things can go wrong very fast.
DP use only. That bad boy can break your wrist.

Don Abele
02-17-2004, 11:19 AM
I have both a single blade model and one with two blades. There really isn't a difference in the quality of the cut between them. If you keep the blades sharp you can get a very clean hole.

To echo others - you have to clamp the piece down firmly to the table. Use a slow cutting speed and slow feed rate. Once you set your size, make sure those set screws are firmly tightened as well, you don't want that wing flying off of it.

For safety I painted the ends of mine yellow so I can see it when its spinning - though my hands are no where near the table when using it.

Be well,

Doc

Mark Singer
02-17-2004, 11:40 AM
That is not a hole saw...it is an adjustable auger bit. Hole saw are better...but I have the bit your describing by General...its not bad and can even be used free hand witha hand drill if you go slow

Don Abele
02-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Mark, this is what I was talking about:

Howie French
02-17-2004, 12:09 PM
I believe this is what you are referring to..... this link will show a video of a "wing circle cutter in action"

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt012.asp

Howie

Chris Padilla
02-17-2004, 1:27 PM
I have the same circle cutter (fly cutter, wing circle cutter) posted by Doc. I used it to make nice snug holes in some plywood to organize the many sockets I own. Worked great. Just be prepared to make a few test cuts to get the exact hole size you want.

Traditionally, this is a hole saw. It is what the electricians and plumbers like to use:

aurelio alarcon
02-17-2004, 3:08 PM
Mark, this is what I was talking about:
this is the one that I was referring to. Thanks for the picture.

aurelio alarcon
02-17-2004, 3:16 PM
I believe this is what you are referring to..... this link will show a video of a "wing circle cutter in action"

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt012.asp

Howie
this is the one. Thanks!