PDA

View Full Version : Re-introducing Myself

John Abt
12-02-2007, 8:10 PM
Hello.

I had been on a while back, but work duties kept me really busy. I've visited on my lunch hour from work but I haven't participated, just a lurker, I guess.

I've been turning almost two years on a Grizzly and just got my dream lathe (a 3520B) and just got it set up today with the help of a couple of good friends.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a comparison of chucks (my Grizzly chuck has an odd thread 1" x 12 tpi) so I can choose a new chuck. Any help would be appreciated.

John

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 8:19 PM
John - Welcome back to the Creek! Congrats on your new lathe! Remember - we like lots of pictures here so be sure to post some as soon as you get the chance! As far as chucks - everyone here has their favorites. I personally have the Oneway Talon and love it. Others have the Oneway Stronghold - the Talon's bigger brother - and love it. Hopefully others will jump in and help steer you in the direction of other favored chucks. Meanwhile - welcome back!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2007, 8:39 PM
Welcome back John! and congrats on setting up your new PM3520B! I just finished setting mine up this afternoon too! I plugged it in and it works!

I'm going to use my SuperNova II that was on my Jet VS Mini. I just bought a new insert for it that fits the PM.

Again...Congrats!

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 9:42 PM
Welcome back John. I use Vicmarc chucks in fact two of them the VM 120 and the VM 100. I like'em a lot. I also found out the $99 Grizzly is the same or at least uses the same jaws as my Vicmarc VM 100. They are of good quality so needless to say I have 3 of them along with several jaws that fit them.

Like Steve said everyone has their favorite chucks so you are going to get a lot of answers.

Dan Forman
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
If you are lloking for a One Way, Hartville Tool has a good sale on them, and I believe shipping is free until Christmas. There is some concern on the forums about the TechnaTool (Nova) chucks, as they appear to have just recently moved manufacturing of them to China. There is a good discussion of chucks here---http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Chucks.html

Dan

Dan Forman
12-02-2007, 10:34 PM
If you are looking for a OneWay, Hartville Tool has a good sale on them, and I believe shipping is free until Christmas. There is some concern on the forums about the TechnaTool (Nova) chucks, as they appear to have just recently moved manufacturing of them to China. There is a good discussion of chucks here---http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Chucks.html

Dan