PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Doings

Julie Tanner
12-02-2007, 7:58 PM
Made a couple of pens and a bowl this weekend.

The bowl is out of Spalted Cherry

Red Acrylic and Bocote Pens

OOPS, didn't realize that the photos were so dark

Julie Tanner
12-02-2007, 8:03 PM
couple of other views,
Thanks for taking a Peek

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 8:21 PM
Nice work on everything Julie! Really like the spalted cherry bowl! Beautiful wood! What are the bowl's dimensions and what did you use as a finish?

Ron Hipp
12-02-2007, 8:35 PM
Julie, the bowl steals the show. Very nice pens....

Ron

Jude Kingery
12-02-2007, 8:52 PM
Julie, nice work on the pens (I've never done any pens so always admire the precision required) and the bowl is really nice! Photos are fine from this perspective, great. Did the Cherry move on you at all? I did a Cherry bowl recently, and thought it was fairly dry, but it sure did warp a bit. Anyway, one I did turned out just ok in my opinion. Looks really good! This weekend, I just cleaned the lathes, also mounted an oak for spindle turning for a kid who wants to turn his own drum sticks. Oughta be fun! Best to you, Jude

Julie Tanner
12-02-2007, 9:13 PM
sorry, the bowl is 6" x 2,

the wood did not move, it has been in my back yard for about 2 1/2 years.

I find that Pen turning is much easier than Bowl turning, maybe it's the size of the wood spinning at me >>

Thanks for the Nice comments

Brian McInturff
12-02-2007, 9:22 PM
Nice looking pens and bowl. And from another person in SC! This world is just getting smaller all the time!! I really like the acrylic pen. Nice work!!

Brian in Myrtle Beach

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 9:33 PM
Pens and bowls look great. I really like the cherry. Well done.

Alex Elias
12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice doings. Really like that bowl, nice form and figure

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-03-2007, 7:01 AM
Nice looking work, Julie! I'll echo Jude---I admire those who do pens---the precision, the materials, etc.

Bonnie Campbell
12-03-2007, 7:07 AM
Beautiful bowl AND pens Julie :)

I agree lol small things spinning at blinding speeds are easier to handle than big bowls!

Barry Elder
12-03-2007, 8:29 AM
Very nice form on the bowl, Julie, and the pens will make really good presents under the tree!

Tom Sherman
12-03-2007, 1:26 PM
Very nice job Julie, the pens are great but the bowl steals the show.Keep on spinning.

Dean Thomas
12-03-2007, 2:36 PM
Hey Julie,

Nice stuff, lady!

Question on the bowl, a bit of a nit to pick, actually. And because we're looking at e-photos, we can't really tell, so we have to ask for clarification. As I look at the bowl, it almost seems as though there are two levels of sheen on the piece. The rim is more of a satin or semi-gloss, but there is a reflective portion on the bottom of the bowl (where the last 14 corn flakes would be, not the underside of the vessel) that looks like a much higher sheen. Is that just a trick in the photograph? If so, just disregard it. If there is a shiny spot on the bottom and the rest is satin, though, it might be worth taking a little time to even out the finish.

SIDEBAR (no extra charge ;) ): Jordan & Rosand did a critique walk-through at a symposium I attended a few years ago and they were really good at calling attention to the sorts of details that customers and gift recipients catch, but don't know how to express their feelings about. Jordan did a mini-teaching right on the spot about finishes that was dynamite. He talked about consistency of the finish, the "touch factor" that it had to look good and FEEL good to the touch. He doesn't particularly like gloss finishes, but knows a good gloss finish when he sees and touches one and appreciates the effort that goes into making a gloss finish perfect. His statement was that perfect is the standard for gloss finishes, but that it's also the standard for matte or satin finishes as well. It's just that gloss finishes don't hide a thing.