PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid R4330 Planer FYI

Juan Lauchu
12-02-2007, 7:15 PM
If you are considering the new Ridgid R4330 planer then read on. If not, skip this thread. This is just one man's tool review.:cool:

Friday I brought home the Ridgid R4330 Benchtop Planer. I have to admit, I had been tossing back and forth between this one and the Steel City. My local Steel City dealer did not have one in stock and I was impatient. Honestly, it came down to impatience and money. The SC is $420 and the Ridgid was $370.

After having read the FWW review, and considering my own personal situation, I chose this planer for the following reasons: 1) I don't want to spend more than $400 on a bench top planer that will eventually (in at most 2 years) be replaced with a floor model 15" or 20," 2) I don't need or want a dust blower, everything I need for dust collection I have (not interested in Yellow or Craftsman, 3) when you look at the many authors and contributors of FWW, most people have those Ridgid planers, albeit the older model, and 4) my impatience.

Out of the box, and put together, there was snipe. Just as FWW had said. However, now is a good time to mention that the machine has 3 cutters and not 2 as FWW has listed. After some simple table adjustments and having run roughly 200 board feet of oak and maple (various widths and thicknesses)
I find the cut to be extremely smooth and with extremely little snipe. Less than 1 millimeter. I fussed a little more with the tables and perhaps I will continue to work with the snipe issue but I honestly don't find it hindering my use of the machine or the stock I plane. There are small marks (patterned ridges) that are noticeable to the naked eye from the cutter and I am assuming that any bench planer would leave marks. It only takes a quick, and I mean quick, swipe with my Festool sander at 180 grit to knock it out! The motor has plenty of power. Dust collection again, is not an issue for me. It is not a monster to move from place to place and this was perhaps another little factor in my purchase as I do, occasionally work for my Church on building issues and furniture. Last, it is not as loud as I had expected. Not a whispering machine, but not as loud as some shop vacs I have had! Note: I always wear ear muffs anyway.
Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and would do it again. I think it is a good machine and would recommend it if you were in the same situation as me. I can see that some would want a lot more from a simple bench top planer but if I want more... I'm purchasing a floor model with 3-5 horses and the best cutter I can buy. Let's call this what it is, a good $370 planer; not a $3700.00 planer.

Hope this helps someone looking into a bench top planer.
Happy Holidays,
Juan

Todd Hyman
12-03-2007, 8:39 AM
Juan,

Thanks for the review. I am wondering how you are going to mount this. and if any other receomndations that you could pass along would be great.

Juan Lauchu
12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Todd,
The weight has been enough to just let it sit on a rolling cart in my shop. If I were sending lots of long stock through, I would definitely either clamp it down with some simple bench clamps or C-clamps or you can mount it with some carriage bolts.
Hope that helps,
Juan

Bill Huber
12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Juan,

Thanks for the review. I am wondering how you are going to mount this. and if any other receomndations that you could pass along would be great.

Todd, this is what I did with my 4330, and it is a great planer for the money as Juan stated.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70278

Charles Wiggins
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Juan,

Thanks a lot. I want a 4330 so badly, but don't have the $$$ right now. I'm finding not having a planer a real impediment to doing the kind of work I'd like to, but at least I now know which one I want when the time comes.

scott spencer
12-03-2007, 1:10 PM
Nice objective review Juan. Good useful detail too. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Kelley
12-03-2007, 2:19 PM
Juan,
Had you considered the Delta 22-580? That was the one I was going to get until I read Bill's thread about the 4330. And now your review has convinced me that I should really investigate the Rigid. Thanks for your review!
Tom

Juan Lauchu
12-03-2007, 7:49 PM
Tom,
I considered the Delta for about 5 minutes as I was comparing it to another planer at Lowe's. It seemed like a nice plane and received some great reviews but in the end, I let the Wallet get the best of my decision. I can't recall an exact number but I can tell you that The Delta 22-580 was more money than the Ridgid. Last, I guess you could also say I wanted to try out something new. As I said before, glad I did.
Glad to know I gave you some food for thought.
Good luck on your purchase. Which ever you choose, I hope it gives you the results you're looking for.
Juan

Todd Hyman
12-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Todd, this is what I did with my 4330, and it is a great planer for the money as Juan stated.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70278

Bill,

Thanks for the link. That looks really interesting. What issue of FWW is it in? Can you send me some addiotnal photos?

Bill Huber
12-04-2007, 8:38 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the link. That looks really interesting. What issue of FWW is it in? Can you send me some addiotnal photos?

It was in the Tools & Shops annual issue, winter 2007/2008 No. 195.

I can take any photos you need, just tell me what you want to see.

Craig D Peltier
12-04-2007, 8:50 PM
Anyone know why 99% of comparisons in magazines never compare ridgid. i.e. table saws or wood magazines last issue table saw blades.
Is it because there the BORGs brand? yet they have craftsman.

David Hostetler
09-05-2009, 7:26 PM
The reason Ridgid / Ryobi don't seem to get a fair shake in the magazines is all about marketing budget. I see at least one full page ad from Sears in nearly every issue of Wood magazine I get for example, but I rarely ever see one from Home Depot...

Bob Carreiro
09-05-2009, 7:59 PM
Thx for taking the time for the good review!

I been thinking of the Dewalt (forgot model #) selling for $599. I've also been considering the Delta sold by HF for $259! With the 20% coupon from PWW mag, that CERTAINY has been holding my attention!

Would appreciate a review on the Delta if anyone would admit owning one.

happy woodworkn,
Bob

Curt Harms
09-06-2009, 9:54 AM
Thx for taking the time for the good review!

I been thinking of the Dewalt (forgot model #) selling for $599. I've also been considering the Delta sold by HF for $259! With the 20% coupon from PWW mag, that CERTAINY has been holding my attention!

Would appreciate a review on the Delta if anyone would admit owning one.

happy woodworkn,
Bob

Bob, if you click on "search" above then "advanced search" then in the upper left is a box "keyword(s)" type "delta+tp305" you'll have more info than you can use. Kudos to Keith & Aaron, the search function in SMC works great compared to other forums.