PDA

View Full Version : Poplar/Walnut Vessel

John Hart
12-02-2007, 6:38 PM
Ok...so here's my first "Vessel". I wanted to try out the theory of a wider base and also incorporate some of the Roman architectural features from some of Brian Weick's work. Found an old piece of Poplar that I didn't care about and gave it a whack. Ended up that the poplar was pretty nice lookin' inside. There's a little of everything...spalting, colors, figure. I'm posting three pics so you can see the features and a straight on shot to show all of the form. I would really appreciate some feedback on what this form does to your eyes. Hope to refine some more.

It's 6" diameter....11" tall....finished in lacquer..(still on the 2nd coat) I might switch to satin for the final coat....this gloss seems a bit much.

Anyway...thanks for peekin'.:)

Wally Wenzel
12-02-2007, 6:44 PM
I think you really have a winner there I thimk the gloss looks good on that form, I like it. Wally

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 6:48 PM
John - first off that's some really nice looking wood! Also, I like the gloss on this piece! As far as critique on the form - if it were me - I would cut the diameter of the base down closer to the diameter of the top. As it is - to me - this form appears somewhat squatty (is that a word?) Anyway, just feel a smaller base would compliment the form.

Alex Elias
12-02-2007, 6:57 PM
I like the wood choice, and the finish is pretty nice too. As far as the design really like the curves you've done. I agree with Steve about the diameter of the foot, I would take it a step further and see it with out a foot (I think of a greek type of shape without the base)

Chip Sutherland
12-02-2007, 7:43 PM
nice, very nice. If you were to change one thing, make the foot smaller. I have the same affliction so now I take the piece off the lathe (but not out of the chuck) and look at it standing up. Change of perspective always helps.

Dustin Thompson
12-02-2007, 8:46 PM
Nicest looking piece of poplar I have ever seen! Thanks for posting.

Dustin

Ron Hipp
12-02-2007, 8:55 PM
John, a novice opinion here. In the 3rd photo I see two vases on the enlarged image, to me this may be lost if you shoot a satin finish on for the last coat. May I ask if this is just the photo or does this detail stand out in the actual vase. Or am I seeing things, grin

As for the foot I will leave that to the folks with an eye for art...I like it as it is....

Ron

Brian McInturff
12-02-2007, 9:29 PM
Yep, stick with the gloss. It really shows the rays. As for the vase, I actually like the foot. If it was me I probably would have made the top a little smaller. And all this does is prove peoples taste are different. hahahaha

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 9:32 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. I would stick with the gloss. I like the contrasting woods and I do like the foot on that piece. Well done.

Dan Forman
12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
First of all, this is one beautiful vessel. I've never seen poplar with such figure as this, I never would have guessed it.

I'm with Brian, the foot looks fine, balances the body. If it was smaller, it would seem tippy to me. The top coud be just a bit smaller though. The distance from the top of the foot to the widest diameter is almost equal to that of the widest portion to the top of the neck. It's best to avoid close symmetry like that from a design standpoint. If you just took an inch or so of height from the neck, you would get away from that. Overall, still a wonderful piece though. Oh, and I like the gloss too.

Dan

John Hart
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input gang! It's funny, I've never seen a piece of poplar with this much action either....but then, I don't turn it very often. I cut this tree down a couple years ago and the blank has just been sitting around covered in anchorseal. go figure.:rolleyes:

As far as the form...I really appreciate the feedback. Sure proves that everyone is different. Me personally, I kinda thought it looked squatty too. But that's when it's sitting on the counter. When I fondle it, it looks pretty ok. Sideways on the lathe...it looked great!

I don't want to kill the base idea though cuz I wanted to do something different. I'll just keep at it. Who knows....Maybe I can make something a little different each time and strike a cord with different folks each time.

Thanks again!!:)

Oh...Ron....That's just the reflection of the piece on itself due to the lighting and camera position. No ghost physically on the piece.

Due to popular demand...I'll keep with the gloss.:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-03-2007, 7:15 AM
Wow, John, that's one real beauty you have there! The gloss finish on that poplar really brings out the action in that wood.

As for form: The piece doesn't look squatty to me. I do, however, see that style making for some wonderful lamp bases, where a low center of gravity would add needed stability when the weight of a stained glass shade was taken into account.

Tom Sherman
12-03-2007, 1:14 PM
John it looks like you have it going on, that's a keeper for sure. Me just being different I like it the way it is love the wood shape and finish.

Paul Engle
12-03-2007, 2:01 PM
Looks great John, not so much the walnut / poplar combination ... maybe in different porpotions and .... but I think the gloss works, and basic form is very nice. classic even.

Mel Reed
12-03-2007, 2:32 PM
John,Excellent piece agian your finish is outstanding.I will happily pay shipping on any piece you want to send me.
Mel

Ben Gastfriend
12-03-2007, 3:58 PM
Wow! That's some nice looking poplar! I actually like the gloss finish on this piece (that might be because I like gloss on everything), but you go with your instincts. Good job!

Ed Scolforo
12-03-2007, 4:45 PM
John, the wood and finish are beautiful. Generally I don't like a glossy finish. I think the base needs to shrink a tad, and there's just something, I really can't put my finger on it, that disturbs me about the top. Perhaps it's too "hornlike" for my taste and maybe if it was a bit slimmer I would like it more. Just my humble opinion.
Ed

Dale Gregory
12-03-2007, 7:32 PM
WOW! Absolutely stunning! The lacquer really brings out the curl in the wood.

Dale

robert hainstock
12-03-2007, 7:38 PM
It is a lovely piece John. I woulf thin the foot to the upper line,(first Impression). I didn't know that popler came in any color except paste. Nice work. :)
Bob

Bill Wyko
12-03-2007, 8:11 PM
WOW John! I love it. I personally like a hi gloss finish. Nice form and great choice of woods. Way to go. I think it's about time you try some segmenting.:D

John Hart
12-03-2007, 9:28 PM
Thanks again everyone for the great feedback! This really gives me an idea of which way to go. I've struggled all day deciding whether to put this back on the lathe and reduce the size of the base....but I'm leaning toward leaving it alone and applying what I've learned on the next piece.

Ed...when you say "slimmer", do you mean the diameter of the neck? I know I have lots of room to take that diameter down and still be able to hollow.

Bill....Segmentation? Ha!! Not a chance. You guys are way too patient. I can't even glue a butcher block together.:rolleyes:

Henry....I've been thinking about lamps. The shade is what stops me. I would want someone to make something custom, tiffany style. You know...something really cool. That kinda thing gets pretty pricey. Maybe some day.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-04-2007, 6:42 AM
John---

I did a quick google on stained glass in your area, and came up with Rennaisance & Rainbows, a stained glass studio which offers classes. Maybe you could hook up with them? It looks like most of what they do is flatwork from what I viewed of their website, but they might have an interest in lampshades.

Good luck!

John Hart
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Yep Henry...They are right down the street from me. They're really into windows but willing to do anything. They will also let you use their equipment to make your own stuff. 6 bucks an hour I think. Since I know nothing of stained glass, I suppose I'd have to take the class, then rent the studio time. Might make sense.;)

Jeff Cremers
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I would keep the gloss as well. It reminds me of a real nice paint job for a car in that it looks like a mile deep and really goes well with this HF. But I do agree witht the base matching the top but this peice is very nice and something to be proud of. If its your first one I wonder what your 100th will look like.
great job
Jeff

Ed Scolforo
12-04-2007, 8:21 PM
John, I'm wondering if it might look better by giving the top a "waist" about half way down and maybe reducing the top diameter slightly?

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback! This really gives me an idea of which way to go. I've struggled all day deciding whether to put this back on the lathe and reduce the size of the base....but I'm leaning toward leaving it alone and applying what I've learned on the next piece.

Ed...when you say "slimmer", do you mean the diameter of the neck? I know I have lots of room to take that diameter down and still be able to hollow.

Bill....Segmentation? Ha!! Not a chance. You guys are way too patient. I can't even glue a butcher block together.:rolleyes:

Henry....I've been thinking about lamps. The shade is what stops me. I would want someone to make something custom, tiffany style. You know...something really cool. That kinda thing gets pretty pricey. Maybe some day.

John Hart
12-04-2007, 9:50 PM
Gotcha....but, I'm assuming that I should keep the flare of the mouth? I go back and forth in my head about whether the mouth should be more vertical or make it flare horizontally. Goofy thoughts.:rolleyes: Thanks again.:)

Brian McInturff
12-05-2007, 2:24 PM
How about flaring out Horizontally and then roll it over and down. Now that would be cool. I've tried this myself but got to agressive and cut right through my flare underneath the rollover.

John Hart
12-05-2007, 4:23 PM
I did one of those once Brian. It's a little like hollowing under a shoulder...only backwards! Takes a while for me to get my head right.:rolleyes:

But the worse part was the pictures just didn't capture that curve, as I recall. I'll have to dig around for the old pictures. 'Course when I think about it, I tried that when I was new to this spinning vortex abyssal thing.....maybe I can pull it off better now.:confused:

Ed Scolforo
12-05-2007, 4:36 PM
Gotcha....but, I'm assuming that I should keep the flare of the mouth? I go back and forth in my head about whether the mouth should be more vertical or make it flare horizontally. Goofy thoughts.:rolleyes: Thanks again.:)

John, how about making the area from the flare to the straighter part more of an acute angle? Ie, have the straighter part go up closer to the flare and transition to more of a right angle rather than the curve you have now? That may alleviate some of the heaviness that I sense now. Just a thought.