PDA

View Full Version : Router in Outfeed table?

Jeff Sudmeier
12-02-2007, 5:41 PM
In another thread here someone mentioned that they had seen a router in the outfeed table of a table saw. I am thinking of building an outfeed table for my new cabinet saw and am considering combining it as a router table.

Any pro's/con's and most of all does anyone have pics of such a set up?

thanks! Jeff

Art Mann
12-02-2007, 5:54 PM
Picture this scenario. You have just spent 15 minutes doing adjustments and trial cuts to get that lock miter bit to cut just perfect. Then, you realize you must use your tablesaw for something or other before going any further. All that time and effort is wasted. That is the kind of thing that would happen to me regularly if I tried to use a single work surface to do two different jobs. For that reason, I wouldn't do it.

John Hedges
12-02-2007, 9:24 PM
Jeff,

I did that and posted it here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67725

It has worked out great for me so far.

keith ouellette
12-02-2007, 9:55 PM
Picture this scenario. You have just spent 15 minutes doing adjustments and trial cuts to get that lock miter bit to cut just perfect. Then, you realize you must use your tablesaw for something or other before going any further. All that time and effort is wasted. That is the kind of thing that would happen to me regularly if I tried to use a single work surface to do two different jobs. For that reason, I wouldn't do it.

This is a very good point. I have thought of the same thing while designing my shop and came up with the idea of having a router table lower than the saw table by a little more than the height of the router fence with a hinged adjustable cover that would flip down over the router table to work as the saws out feed table. I haven't built it yet (like most of the other things I have planned).

Jeff Sudmeier
12-03-2007, 1:59 PM
I will have to have the outfeed table mobile so I may take care of the needing to use the table saw when the router is busy issue with that... we'll see

Thanks for the advice!

Lee Schierer
12-03-2007, 3:04 PM

Not a problem...my router lifts out of the saw outfeed table on its mounting plate. I can lift out the router and the plate and make the cuts needed on the TS and get right back to the same exact setup on the router simply by placing the router and plate back into the opening in the saw table.