PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from General 50-185 Table Saw Owners

Craig Kershaw
12-02-2007, 5:29 PM
I'm trying to tune up my 50-185 and have hit a snag trying to get the blade parallel to the miter slot. I've loosened the four trunion bolts; this has resulted in some play in the rear but not the fron. Even with all four bolts fairly loose the front won't budge. I'm out about 15/1000 with the rear of the blade closer to the miter slot. Do I need to loosen some other bolts? The manual provides no advise whatsoever on this. Any other tune up advice?

Bruce Benjamin
12-02-2007, 6:52 PM
I'm trying to tune up my 50-185 and have hit a snag trying to get the blade parallel to the miter slot. I've loosened the four trunion bolts; this has resulted in some play in the rear but not the fron. Even with all four bolts fairly loose the front won't budge. I'm out about 15/1000 with the rear of the blade closer to the miter slot. Do I need to loosen some other bolts? The manual provides no advise whatsoever on this. Any other tune up advice?

I have that saw but fortunately mine required no adjustment. However, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Does the trunnion pivot, (in relation to the table) at all? From my understanding you only really need the rear bolts to be loose enough to slide and then one of the front bolts. It will then pivot on the other tighter front bolt. It shouldn't have to move much to correct any error. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying though. I don't think there are any other bolts to loosen. You might try giving it a wack with a rubber mallet if you can get one in there. Good luck.

Bruce

Marty Barron
12-02-2007, 6:58 PM
Craig, here is a link to the manual from the General website. it is a manual revision dated March 5, 2007. If this does not help I would call the place where you purchased it because they should be able to correct this problem. If not call General and I am sure they will be able to help you solve this problem.

Hope this helps.

Marty

http://www.general.ca/manuel/50-175185%20ENG.pdf

Dick Rowe
12-02-2007, 7:08 PM
I had to make that adjustment on mine a few months ago and only had to mess with the 4 bolts.

It was 'painful and probably took me 3 hours of 'fiddling' to get it right, but eventually it was dead-on, and has stayed that way since.

Craig Kershaw
12-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I called General International and their going to send me a replacement part - a rear trunion bracket. When I talked to the guy at General he said that there is likely a problem with the part not having enough play to make the adjustment. He said it should only take about 20 minutes to replace the part. A review of a Canadian woodworking site indicates that other folks have had this problem.