PDA

View Full Version : Hide glue

Brian Knop
12-02-2007, 2:12 PM
I am thinking about getting a glue pot and using hot hide glue on my heirloom pieces. I would like the pros and cons of people who use this method.

Jameel Abraham
12-02-2007, 2:38 PM
Hot hide has some great pluses, but you have to learn to work with it.

Joints must be ready to assemble immediately. If you're shop is cold, like less than 60, forget it, you'll have to warm the pieces first with a heat gun or blow dryer to delay the gelling stage. If it doesn't flow out when you clamp, you're bond wont be good.

About the only reason I could justify using hot glue for furniture is where it offers a distinct advantage, as in hammer veneering. Otherwise, I think AR glue is the best. You can disassemble AR joints with heat (but not reactivate them with moisture as with hide), so its not like future repairs require breaking joints or cutting. Hide would allow easier disassembly though.

I've worked with it quite a bit in instrument making, but never bother with it for anything else.

I suppose if you want to use it for historical reasons, that's a good idea. It also wont interfere with stains or finishes, thats a plus.

It's not necessarily more difficult to use, it just requires different technique than carpenters glue, so assembling joints and clamping up takes on a completely different pace and order than with AR.

Robert LaPlaca
12-02-2007, 3:55 PM
Started using hide glue on a couple of 18th century secretaries I been building, got to say I am not sure why I waited so long to try it.. I use a small Rival potpourri 'crock pot' type appliance my wife no longer used, with a small baby food jar that holds the hide glue, the container of the crock holds the hot water. The crock pot holds temperature at exactly 160F.

Mostly use the glue for smaller fussy glue-ups that maybe one would reach for cyanoacylate glue for. It works better than cyanoacylate in that the joint can be reversed if there is an alighment issue, before the glue fully gels. Not sure I am brave enough to attempt it's use on a large panel glue-up..

Brian Knop
12-02-2007, 4:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by AR glue?

mike holden
12-02-2007, 5:45 PM
I use hot hide glue.
Only con I think it has is that I need to get it started when I go into the shop if I am going to use it - takes about 20 minutes till the water around the jar gets the glue up to temp.
Well there is one more, you will hear about the odor, this is true only if you let the glue spoil or over heat. I use the automatic glue pot and put the covered jar of glue back in the fridge when I am done. If, if, I ever see mold in the glue I will throw it out and start over.

For those quick jobs, I use the cold hide glue in a jar. I have also heard good things about "old brown glue".

If you want the best info on hide glue, call the old mill shoppe, Bess Naylor is *THE* expert. She wrote an article on it for the SAPFM newletter/magazine this year - join SAPFM and get the article (shameless plug :) )

Jameel Abraham
12-02-2007, 6:32 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by AR glue?

Aliphatic Resin: Yellow Carpenter's glue.

Dick Rowe
12-02-2007, 7:17 PM
The current (Dec 2007) issue of Woodworkers Journal has a good article on hide glue.

Kelly Anderson
12-02-2007, 8:37 PM
I just started using hot hide glue this summer and really like it. I found an article (google hide glue and you should find it) that I think was on a piano restores type site. They suggested getting a Rival Hot Pot (lots of places should have them) finding 140* (set it and forget it), cutting a hole in the top for the brush to help keep the heat and steam in, and using a small mason jar to keep the glue in. All together I have about $20.00 in it to start. It takes a little more planing to use but I really like it.

Art Mann
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
What are the benefits of using this material other than historical accuracy and repairability?

Mike Henderson
12-02-2007, 10:50 PM
What are the benefits of using this material other than historical accuracy and repairability?
Not much in my opinion. There a lot of "fuss" in using hide glue compared to more modern glues. The only thing I see that keeps it around is the ability to take something apart (repairability).

Woodworkers are a pragmatic lot. If they didn't find modern glues to be superior, they would still be using hide glue.

Mike

Bob Oehler
12-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I use it a great deal. Temperature of the wood is a factor as mentioned. I love it since it is reversable, it is historically accurate, and if/when the glue joint fails when my grandkids or greatgrandkids have the furnature the furnature will be able to be taken apart. soften the old glue add some new and viola it's ready for another 100 years. :). I have also used titebond liquid hide glue now and then. I also warm it up in hot water and it flows much better. I also like to use hide glue when doing rubbed joints. I have never had luck with regular glue with this technique. I hope this helps .
Good luck with your gluing
Bob Oehler

Dan Forman
12-03-2007, 6:05 AM
According to the magazine articles i've read, the liquid hide glue is just as good if not better than the home cooked variety, and there is no mess. It has a fairly long open time, so it's good for complex assemblies. I've been using it and quite like it. You can clean up squeeze out with a damp rag, and it won't mess up your finish. I did a few simple tests, and the glue bond is stronger than the wood, don't know what could be better than that. I like the repairablility factor.

Dan

Brian Knop
12-03-2007, 2:18 PM
Thanks everyone

Bruce Haugen
12-03-2007, 4:44 PM
While my preference for hide glue doesn't rank up there with repairability and historical accuracy, you just can't beat the stuff for the ease of clean-up. A toothbrush and water are just about all you need.

I use liquid hide glue a lot, but I'm not sure I'd use it in a musical instrument. There's too many good reasons to use the hot stuff for that.

Bruce

Chris Bosley
12-03-2007, 4:57 PM
If you want the best info on hide glue, call the old mill shoppe, Bess Naylor is *THE* expert. She wrote an article on it for the SAPFM newletter/magazine this year - join SAPFM and get the article (shameless plug :) )

I too have been thinking of trying hide. What is SAPFM? Any links.

Chris Bosley
12-03-2007, 5:02 PM
I use a small Rival potpourri 'crock pot' type appliance my wife no longer used, with a small baby food jar that holds the hide glue, the container of the crock holds the hot water. The crock pot holds temperature at exactly 160F.

Robert. Can you post a picture & give the model number of the rival pot that you use. Thanx Chris

Bruce Haugen
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Chris,
SAPFM (http://www.sapfm.org/)is the Society of American Period Furniture Makers. Nobody, but nobody is better. You might not like the style, but their craftsmanship is impeccable.

Bruce

Chris Bosley
12-04-2007, 9:52 PM
Thanx for the link ~Chris