PDA

View Full Version : Another old soldier fell this weekend

David Rose
02-17-2004, 12:40 AM
I was honored to attend the funeral of my Father-in-law this weekend. I say "honored" because of the fantastic job the honor guard did for the man and his family. He was a WWII vet who received several medals. The notice was too short to even have a gun salute and it was still an awesome service by two fine young men. They had to drive from Ft. Sill Oklahoma to South Central Arkansas through an unexpected snow storm and performed their service through cold blowing wind. I was proud of our boys who wavered not.

I did not get in on the flag cases that were done in the last year or two. Now I am "in on it". I need to build a flag case and a medal case for my Mother-in-law. I have seen the ones for sale online. I have read that there were certain specs to these cases and don't know which ones are "accurate". Does anyone have link(s) to sites listing correct specifications?

Thanks

David

Randy Moore
02-17-2004, 8:26 AM
David,

Sorry to hear about your FIL. How is your wife doing? It is never easy to go thru the passing of a loved one, however the Honor Guard make it maybe a little easier to take.
Randy

Jerry Todd
02-17-2004, 8:27 AM
I was honored to attend the funeral of my Father-in-law this weekend. I say "honored" because of the fantastic job the honor guard did for the man and his family. He was a WWII vet who received several medals. The notice was too short to even have a gun salute and it was still an awesome service by two fine young men. They had to drive from Ft. Sill Oklahoma to South Central Arkansas through an unexpected snow storm and performed their service through cold blowing wind. I was proud of our boys who wavered not.

I did not get in on the flag cases that were done in the last year or two. Now I am "in on it". I need to build a flag case and a medal case for my Mother-in-law. I have seen the ones for sale online. I have read that there were certain specs to these cases and don't know which ones are "accurate". Does anyone have link(s) to sites listing correct specifications?

Thanks

David

David,
Here is a picture of one that I built for the flag I was presented when my Dad expired three years ago.
Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2004, 8:52 AM
David,
Sorry to to hear about you FIL. Hope you and your wife are handling it well. It's tough when you lose a loved one!

Jerry, great case! Well done!

Mike Mastin
02-17-2004, 9:21 AM
[QUOTE=David Rose]I was honored to attend the funeral of my Father-in-law this weekend. I say "honored" because of the fantastic job the honor guard did for the man and his family. He was a WWII vet who received several medals. The notice was too short to even have a gun salute and it was still an awesome service by two fine young men. They had to drive from Ft. Sill Oklahoma to South Central Arkansas through an unexpected snow storm and performed their service through cold blowing wind. I was proud of our boys who wavered not.

David,

I am sorry to hear of the loss. It is never easy, even when you know its coming sooner than later. When my father passed away (also a WWII vet) I thought that I was ready for it. I was well controlled up until the Honor Guard arrived at the grave site. When they fired the first rounds of the salute from their rifles, my heart exploded, as I realized just what I had lost. A true friend, a loving father, a man that had given so much for me during his lifetime and to countless strangers that he graced with his infectious smile. I did not mean to hijack your thread, but its times like this that I remember just how much I truly lost and how proud I am of him.

God Bless and hail to our troops!

David Hayes
02-17-2004, 10:48 AM
David,
Sorry for your loss. I lost my WWII vet grandfather at Thanksgiving. I was asked to build a flag box by my grandmother for the flag she was presented. I am using the plan from Wood Magazine. It was published within the past two years.

Go to www.woodworkersforamerica.com (I'm pretty sure that is the correct site) to get a different plan - it lists the critical dimensions for the box for a folded standard coffin draped flag (5'x9' I believe).

Since you mentioned a box for medals also, a box similar to the one above would be very nice as well.
Dave

Terry Hatfield
02-17-2004, 10:53 AM
David,

Please let Cheryl know that we are thinking of her. So sorry for the loss. I'm sure whatever you build for the flag and the medals, it will be a cherished heirloom.

I'll try to stop by today or I'll give you a call tonite.

Terry

Don Abele
02-17-2004, 11:11 AM
David, my condolences on your familys' loss.

In my 18 years in the Navy I have made many flag cases, both for burials and for retirements.

For flag cases alone it depends on the size of the flag. There are many different sizes, depending on the type of flag. The standard flag used on caskets is 5' x 9-1/2' and folds up to a size of 12 3/4" x 25 1/2". If the flag was folded by the Honor Guard it is best to refold it using a false fold (which is better for presentation purposes). If it was folded in the rain it should be unfolded and hung to allow it to dry completely first (do not use a dryer).

False fold:
(1) Cut a piece of matte board or cardboard in a triangle approximately 1/8th inch smaller than the inside cavity of the flag case.
(2) Slide the matte board under the flag to the center of the star pattern. Align the peak of the triangle approximately 3/4 inch above the top point of a star.
(3) Make sure the bottom of the triangle matte board is level with the stars on the bottom row.
(4) Turn the flag with the matte board over and place it in the cavity of the flag case. Fold the remainder of the flag into the flag case neatly.

If you are also adding medals/decorations/etc. then the "shadow box" should be sized accordingly to the amount to be mounted. Traditionally, the flag goes into the case either at the top, bottom, or upper corners with the point up. Though there isn't really anything wrong with it being in the bottom corners.

As I said, I have made many of them and no two really are the same. I base them off of the individuals desires for shape and then size it according to what they want in it. Here's a pic of one I did for someone retiring.

Be well,

Doc

Ed Falis
02-17-2004, 2:05 PM
[QUOTE=David Rose]It is never easy, even when you know its coming sooner than later. When my father passed away (also a WWII vet) I thought that I was ready for it. I was well controlled up until the Honor Guard arrived at the grave site. When they fired the first rounds of the salute from their rifles, my heart exploded, as I realized just what I had lost. A true friend, a loving father, a man that had given so much for me during his lifetime and to countless strangers that he graced with his infectious smile. I did not mean to hijack your thread, but its times like this that I remember just how much I truly lost and how proud I am of him.

Mike,

That certainly brings back the memory of my father's passing, too.

David, condolences to you, and your family.

- Ed

Dennis Peacock
02-17-2004, 3:57 PM
David,

I am So-o-o sorry to hear of the family's loss. He was a good man. I feel your pain of the loss and your family is in my prayers for comfort.

Thomas Glenn
02-17-2004, 8:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Tom

David Rose
02-18-2004, 7:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words and construction ideas on the box. Actually, it seems it will need to be TWO boxes. Both of his kids want a piece of the action when the heirlooms are passed on. I really hate to see the flag and medals separated, but I understand them both so... For grandmother we can just stack the boxes I think.

Don, thanks for the detailed instructions on the "false fold". I will probably use that in whatever I build.

Some of the commercial boxes are mentioned as "dust tight" with "removable backs". I'll have to check some plans to see how they accomplish that.

I am a strong supporter of our troops. Not seeing them in actual "action" though I forget the precision of some of their training. It is good to see that sometimes.

LOML is doing well. Her dad was on disability from WWII and had a tough 50 years. The wife thought that would somehow make his passing easier to take. It doesn't. :)

David

Don Abele
02-18-2004, 8:16 PM
David, most medals can be purchased. So you could produce two exact looking shadow boxes. While I understand the sentimental value involved with the originals, at least both could have a complete set. If you need help with obtaining the medals, please let me know and I'll help as much as possible.

The dust tight with removable back is a 1/8 or 1/4 back that sets into a rabbit. It is held in place with screws. The inside lip of the rabbit has a gasket in it (as does the dado that the front glass/plexi sits in). All of this seals it up tight. I have never incorporated that into any of my boxes and have never had anyone call back to complain of dust inside.

David Rose
02-18-2004, 9:20 PM
Don, I got a note from another member who mentioned the possibility of getting replacement medals also. That is a great idea. The medals we have are replacements anyway as the originals were destroyed in a house fire. I think we will persue that.

I wondered about the "dust" business just being a selling point for the cases. I would not expect much to pass a dadoed or rabbited in piece.

David

Don Abele
02-18-2004, 9:46 PM
David, they are available from many sources online. I can get them locally at the military uniform shop. If you are interested, I can purchase them for you and send them. I would need to know what medals he had. Please let me know, it's the least I can do to honor the sacrifices he made for his country.

Pat Salter
02-18-2004, 11:23 PM
My thoughts and prayers are for you and your family.

Try: http://military.usmedals.com/store.html?id_medals=0218MI718179

They have medals, flags and all kinds of stuff. also, check out their "flag cases" page. These things cost from about $60 to almost $200. But then, why buy when you can make it your self? ;) But there are some nice ideas of how they should look.

I was really interested in this because we make "shadow boxes" at work all the time (about one a month) for Marines who are retiring/leaving.

And, yes, color guards are awesome people.

Don Abele
02-19-2004, 7:38 AM
Pat, that's a nice site, but outrageously over-priced. I looked up some of the medals that I currently have. They list it's price at $21.95 - the local Navy Uniform Shop sells it for $5.50. For non-military, I guess you take what you can get, but wow, that's a huge mark-up.