PDA

View Full Version : Dead Dewalt DW618 Router

Tim Malyszko
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I was just using my router to roundover the top of a stand I'm building and it died mid route. The bit slowed down to about 1/2 speed, sped up to normal speed and then the whole thing stopped as if I turned it off. I checked all the connections and it is definately dead.

Fortunately, its only a year old and I have a Dewalt service center near-by that I can bring it to on Monday, but that doesn't do me any good today because I need it to cut some dovetails on my Akeda Jig. Is there any obvious things I may be missing such as a fuse on the router itself? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Of course, this stuff happens when I'm under a time crunch. I've been promising my parents a small solid cherry tv stand for almost a year now and was hoping to get it finished by Christmas.

I guess it's off to the handtools and lathe to finish up my walnut occassional table.

Tim Malyszko
12-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Even though know one replied, I wanted to follow-up on this inquiry for anyone that may do a search of the DW618 in the future.

I brought the router motor into my Dewalt Service Center on a Monday and had it back by Friday Morning. The technician had to replace the Brushes, Armature Assembly and the Module, all at zero cost to me even though it was just outside of warranty.

Anyway, once again Dewalt came through with a quick, no-hassle repair and my router is back up and running good as new.

Tom Leftley
12-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Glad to see you got it repaired and that Dewalt stood behind their product.
How long is the warranty on the repaired router?
Is there any website (Dewalt??) you can check on a history problem for this model?

Allen Bookout
12-08-2007, 2:33 PM
I saw your post Tim but did not respond as I did not know the answer and even if I did I assumed that it was to late to do you any good. That must have been the case for a lot of people. Thanks for the update.

Norman Pyles
12-08-2007, 5:43 PM
I saw your post Tim but did not respond as I did not know the answer and even if I did I assumed that it was to late to do you any good. That must have been the case for a lot of people. Thanks for the update.

Same here. Glad Dewalt came through, I have two 618's and love them.

Michael O'Sullivan
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
I think the exact same thing just happened to my DW618. I bought it new in Dec 2006, and have used it pretty lightly since then

When it died it sounded a lot like it was running out of gas -- it would lose power, pick back up, and lose it again. Then I shut it down and it would not start up again. I opened the top and a part of a circular piece of metal came out and I can hear something else rattling around inside.

In checking the manual it looks to have a 3 year warranty, so I am hoping to get it repaired for free.