PDA

View Full Version : Another segmented attempt

Jim Kountz
12-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Well here is my latest attempt at another segmented bowl. Man I have alot to learn about design, I think this thing is just.........well for lack of a better word "frumpy" looking! I think I got my miters down pretty well and Im not having too much trouble with that part, hollowing these things is pretty simple and believe it or not I actually only use my square scraper to do so. I use just the upper left corner and keep it well above center say about 10-11 o'clock and make 1/16-1/8" passes until the interior is all hollowed out. Works for me and leaves a pretty good surface. Any other tips would be appreciated as well as comments. And dont feel you have to be gentle about it, I dont really like the design either!:o:o:D:D

BTW: Cherry, maple and purple heart are the woods used. Its just under 5.75" in diameter and about 3.75 tall.

Kurt Strandberg
12-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Those segmented bowls amaze me, makes me consider buying a lathe and from what I read, the lathe is not the expensive part of turning.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Well Jim, have to agree with you that the joints all look really good! Nice wood color combinations and a good looking finish! As to design - it all comes with time and doing! Keep turning - each one gets better!

Paul Engle
12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Nice work Jim, I was suprised how people at work like em. First couple of boxs i made with the skew , like you did point and shoot straight in.

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-02-2007, 1:21 PM
Jim, as you've already self-assessed, the "form" could use some work. The good news is your joinery looks terrific; nice and tight and your vertical seams line up. As your travel down this "segmented" road, try to design your pieces as if they were solid black. Don't even think about color combos, etc, until you've perfected the shape. Have fun.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 1:31 PM
Great job Jim. Joints look good and finish is great. Form I would probably do a little different but that will come with time. Keep'em coming.

Tom Sherman
12-02-2007, 3:27 PM
Jim one thing to think about is that you are doing them, a lot of us only wish we were. looking good keep plugging on.

Jim Kountz
12-02-2007, 3:51 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.
Malcolm, thats a good way of looking at it, never thought of that. I think my next few attempts may all be of the same wood for several reasons. One Im out of maple lol another is I think form is just as if not more important than trying to make it look slick if that makes any sense.
Meanwhile this sure is alot more fun than trying to hollow a bowl which if you followed any of my other posts you already know how thats working for me!!

Thanks again guys!

Robert McGowen
12-02-2007, 5:05 PM
You will never look at little scraps of wood the same! :D:D:D:D:D

Alex Elias
12-02-2007, 5:56 PM
That is a good begining. You are a lot of steps ahead of me. Congrats on the efforts.

Richard Madison
12-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Given that it is usually an error to disagree with the master, it does appear that there is a "suspect" glue joint and some vertical misalignment on the back side. If true and not an optical illusion, am sure that you know this, Jim. If an optical illusion, I apologize.

Nevertheless, it is a nice looking piece, and apparently well finished. The shape reminds me of a humidor in which pipe smokers sometimes keep their tobacco. Just needs a lid. I don't think it's "frumpy" looking. We all try different things and different shapes of things in the process of learning and improving. Sometimes (perhaps infrequently) an "early" piece earns a place in the category of "that's actually better than I thought it was at the time". This one may qualify.

As Mr. T. suggested, might want to spend some time just "hollowing logs" (experimenting with shape and turning skills on inexpensive wood). Been doing some of that myself lately, and my "artistic vision" has already improved from "0" to "1" (on a scale of 10). You can get there from here.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-03-2007, 7:21 AM
Keep 'em coming, Jim!