PDA

View Full Version : rockler dovetail jig

Dave Stoler
12-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Frustrateing.....Are there any onliine tutorials about this jig before I start makeing a mess..Or is the best teacher just to start going at it the best I can from the instructions supplied?
At this point"scrap" is limited...So I would be destroying material..:rolleyes:
But if thats the way to learn so be it.

Brian Kent
12-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Dave, I hope you have a lot of good experiences with the jig. I would add one word of caution, that you make sure your movements with the router stay horizontal. Even with a warning, I accidentally lifted up the router during a cut and cut a chunk out of the template. Nothing serious, but it means I can't use that part of the template.

Good luck and have fun!

Chuck Lenz
12-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Dovetail jigs take time to setup.

Don Bullock
12-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Dovetail jigs take time to setup....

...especially the "original" Rockler (blue) dovetail jig. I bought one thinking it would be a way to make drawers quickly. Rockler offered a demonstration on dovetail jigs after I bought mine so I went to get some tips. The woodworker doing the demonstration used a Porter Cable jig and stated that the Rockler was even more difficult to get set up for the cuts. Needless to say the only thing I learned at the demonstration was I have a jig that is difficult to use and I would be better off buying something else.:confused:

Dave Stoler
12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Beginners luck I guess...
Mine is a black template and I can honestly say that after four adjustments I got a acceptable joint in some 1/2 in plywood.
First time useing a router in years and the first time useing a dovetail jig.I still haven,t made a complete drawer but at least I have a basic idea with the jig.I,ll include updates as I go along .

glenn bradley
12-02-2007, 1:26 PM
The Rockler is an inexpensive jig (I have one) and therefor requires a little more fiddling than the $300 - 400 ones. For what you would spend in good material just getting set up you could go to the BORG and pick up some pine or white-wood to practice on all day long. I would definitely suggest this.

Beyond that, the online instructions at Rockler were much more complete than what I got in the box. Once I get a good setup I route a couple small pieces of scrap to use as setup blocks for next time. I also have a router that is pretty much dedicated to DT's so once set it stays set throughout the project.

Another tip is to build any kind of slam-together riser to hold the jig up closer to eye level. Not only will your neck and back thank you but your setup will go much quicker.

Using the online manual I had acceptable DTs in about 20 minutes and can duplicate the setup quite quickly. If I was going to do 20 drawers or half a dozen blanket chests, I would seriously consider talking myself into a quality jig. Hasn't happened yet ;-)

Don Bullock
12-02-2007, 9:43 PM
...Beyond that, the online instructions at Rockler were much more complete than what I got in the box. Once I get a good setup I route a couple small pieces of scrap to use as setup blocks for next time. I also have a router that is pretty much dedicated to DT's so once set it stays set throughout the project.

Glenn, do you have the URL of the online directions for the Rockler dovetail jig. I can't seem to find them on their website. I was hoping to eventually do exactly what you did - just keep the jig and router set up for drawers. Thanks.

Jim Kountz
12-02-2007, 9:59 PM
These are very similar to the Jet jig I have and I also heard alot of the nightmares about setup but quite honestly its just not that hard. It does require that you be accurate and measure/mark things clearly and precise, something you should be doing anyway right? I had mine setup after having it out of the box for about 30 minutes. I think the main reason folks have trouble with these things is that they get in a hurry and dont pay close attention to whats going on. Or something along those lines, I really dont know why some have such troubles with these jigs.

Jason Stein
12-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Try this site: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/dts-rock-1.htm
They tested a few different jigs and the original Rockler Through Dovetail Jig is one of them. It's a good supplement to the poor instructions that come with the jig. I was looking at it a few minutes ago as a refresher, because I haven't used my jig in a couple of years. Good luck to both of us.

Don Bullock
12-03-2007, 9:54 AM
Jason, thanks for the link. It will help a lot. If anyone knows the link to the actual Rockler "directions" that would help as well. I know it's on the web, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

frank shic
12-03-2007, 9:56 AM
don, every dovetail jig requires some trial and error test cuts. try to dedicate a small router like a PC 690 to the jig once you have the depth locked in.

Charlie Barnes
12-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Dave,

Try this: http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10311373AA.pdf

I have the same jig which was received as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. It's proudly hanging on the wall in my shop, protecting that area of the wall from dust. I've never even tried to use it yet since I have an older Keller jig this is hard to beat for through dove tails.

Maybe I'll get brave and see if I can get it set up some day.

Good Luck.

Charlie

Lee Schierer
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
I have the Blue Rockler jig and it does a pretty good job. Getting the setup right the first time takes time and the joint tightness/looseness adjustment instructions were less than clear. It was complicated in my case by the handle for the vertical piece being installed backwards. You had to lift the handle up to lock the vertical board in place and then the vibration would loosen the handle. By flipping the handle assembly end for end I made it so the handle locks as you push down on it. Now it stays locked and is also out of the way as you work.

I also found that when cutting dovetails in pieces less than the full width of the jig, it helped to put a piece of scrap of equal thickness under the other side of the clamp. For the vertical piece, I embedded a rare earth magnet into a piece of scrap so it didn't fall out everytime the jig was loosened.

The jig also didn't play well with my Freud FT2000 router. The weight of the router would deflect the jig and create uneven dovetails. I have to use a lighter weight Craftsman router.

Still it is far easier to adjust than my original craftsman jig was.

Kyle Kraft
12-03-2007, 3:21 PM
I just purchased a Woodstock clone of the rockler jig and in about 2 hrs of trial and error (this was my first attempt with a dovetail jig) I had achieved good repeatable joints. I am very confident that the setup time will be dramatically reduced next time after applying my new knowledge. Not bad for $40.

Bill Wyko
12-03-2007, 3:36 PM
I found that my Blue Rockler is supprizingly identical to the one at Harbor freight :cool:But twice the price.:mad:

Dave Stoler
12-03-2007, 5:18 PM
Thanks guys.The responses are truely appreciated. Since this is my first dovetail jig I know no better. It works and i,m sure over time the set up will become second nature.