PDA

View Full Version : Rejected!

George Guadiane
12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I tried to sell this cherry (sorry I forgot to put this in the first time) blank from which I turned this bowl...
Thankfully, it was rejected, along with some other materials that I will just go ahead and turn... I had said that it was fairly dry and that it would yield an 11 by 5 1/5 inch bowl.
The final dimensions?
Diameter: 12 1/2 inches
Height: 4 7/8 inches
Finished by olive oil sanding to 400 then bee's wax burnished in.
I don't know what the dark stuff on the bottom is, but it's in the wood.

Paul Engle
12-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Veryy nice George, I like the rim treatment. I bet the dark stuff is the beginning of spalt/mold , I have seen that in some of the wood I have , the Milo I got has the same thing,it was on the inside of the blank, looks like some one splatered black ink from a small paint brush trying to dry it out. Did you not know what the wood is?

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Nice looking bowl George! Interesting detail work on the rim! The bowl looks like it would have a nice hefty feel to it. Question for you about the olive oil that you sanded with. I've heard that vegetable oils and olive oils can go rancid over time. Have you had any problems with this happening?

George Guadiane
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice looking bowl George! Interesting detail work on the rim! The bowl looks like it would have a nice hefty feel to it. Question for you about the olive oil that you sanded with. I've heard that vegetable oils and olive oils can go rancid over time. Have you had any problems with this happening?
Thanks Guys... Steve, I do worry about the oil thing, but olive oil is one that you can leave out on the counter indefinitely (as far as I know, and the last few grits are used to take out scratches and take out oil. I don't think there is a lot left in there towards the end, plus, the bee's wax is a partial barrier and any salad bowl finish that is applied after washing would nearly eliminate any problems (I think).
If others have any longer term experience with this kind of issue, I would be glad/grateful to hear it.
I did 6 salad/fruit bowls in a row, the middle four all had this rim. I liked how the first one came out and got tired of it (for now) by the time I got to this one. The bowls are of a uniform but ample thickness, and for this kind of item it makes sense to me.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 11:26 AM
George - I think your finish looks great. I'm just gathering some info as experience has limited my use to Watco, Antique oil or poly on all of my bowls so far.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 1:51 PM
George I like the bowl and form. The rim treatment looks really good.

George my grandmother had a lot of wooden bowls with no finish. They seem to do just fine but most were maple. I tried wax and it doesn't hold up well at all. I either use Mahoney's walnut oil and then his walnut oil/wax combo. I also made a 10 salad bowl set and used General Finishes Seal-A-Cell 1 coat and the Arm-R-Seal. The kids have been using these bowls for a year now and they still look good. So this is what I have been using. Just my experience.

Allen Neighbors
12-02-2007, 4:07 PM
George, I love the rich look to this wood, and the form and the rim treatment. This is what I put on a flyer that I hand out with utility bowls when they sell at shows:
To keep your bowl like new:
After using the bowl for food items, do not let it stand for a long time. As soon as you’re finished eating, wash it with warm soapy water, rinse well, and towel dry.
To season your bowl after it has not been used for a while:
After you have used your bowl, sometimes after sitting for a period of time, some grains of the wood may raise a little, causing some rough areas to exist. If there are some rough spots, smooth them out with #0000 steel wool. Wipe it out. Wash it with warm soapy water, and towel dry. If it seems like it needs to be “sanded”, after washing, put in a spoon or two of salt, and be gentle: scour the inside with a paper towel, using the salt as grit to “purify” and clean the inside. Rinse, and wipe it dry.

Note: DO NOT use Mineral oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, or any type of vegetable oil. http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF11/1121B.html (http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF11/1121B.html) (This explains that Wood is better than any plastic for food items) Quote: Research Scientists smeared wooden boards with about 10,000 cells of Salmonella, Listeria, and Escherichia coli, cultured bacteria. That's about 10 times the number of organisms that typically wash off a contaminated chicken carcass. Within three minutes, 99.9 percent of the bacteria were unrecoverable and presumed dead. By the next morning, the researchers couldn't recover any live bacteria from the wood. Next, the scientists upped the germ count, inoculating the boards with a million or more bacteria apiece. Then they had enough survivors to work with, but not for long. Within two hours, again 99.9 percent of the bacteria had vanished. The only thing they've found that does enhance bacteria growth is treating the wood with mineral oil.

Mike A. Smith
12-02-2007, 5:18 PM
I like it top to bottom George!

Alex Elias
12-02-2007, 5:50 PM
That is one great looking piece. Also I like what you've done with the rim. Very nice.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-03-2007, 6:41 AM
That is a lovely looking bowl, George. I'm sorry to hear you've gotten tired of that rim treatment---I rather like it.

George Guadiane
12-03-2007, 8:54 AM
That is a lovely looking bowl, George. I'm sorry to hear you've gotten tired of that rim treatment---I rather like it.
I like it too. I just ment that I was tired of doing the treatment after 4 in a row... I will definitely do it again, maybe even as a signature???

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I like it too. I just ment that I was tired of doing the treatment after 4 in a row... I will definitely do it again, maybe even as a signature???

Nice AND pretty piece George.....but.....It's not complete until you sign your work. :rolleyes: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
George.....beautiful bowl and like the others, I really like your rim and foot treatment!

Jim Underwood
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
So Allen, this goes against the conventional wisdom of using Mineral/Vegetable oil as a food safe finish.

What then, does one suggest?:confused:

Walnut oil?

George Guadiane
12-03-2007, 7:08 PM
George, I love the rich look to this wood, and the form and the rim treatment. This is what I put on a flyer that I hand out with utility bowls when they sell at shows:
To keep your bowl like new:
After using the bowl for food items, do not let it stand for a long time. As soon as you’re finished eating, wash it with warm soapy water, rinse well, and towel dry.
To season your bowl after it has not been used for a while:
After you have used your bowl, sometimes after sitting for a period of time, some grains of the wood may raise a little, causing some rough areas to exist. If there are some rough spots, smooth them out with #0000 steel wool. Wipe it out. Wash it with warm soapy water, and towel dry. If it seems like it needs to be “sanded”, after washing, put in a spoon or two of salt, and be gentle: scour the inside with a paper towel, using the salt as grit to “purify” and clean the inside. Rinse, and wipe it dry.

Note: DO NOT use Mineral oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, or any type of vegetable oil. http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF11/1121B.html (http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF11/1121B.html) (This explains that Wood is better than any plastic for food items) Quote: Research Scientists smeared wooden boards with about 10,000 cells of Salmonella, Listeria, and Escherichia coli, cultured bacteria. That's about 10 times the number of organisms that typically wash off a contaminated chicken carcass. Within three minutes, 99.9 percent of the bacteria were unrecoverable and presumed dead. By the next morning, the researchers couldn't recover any live bacteria from the wood. Next, the scientists upped the germ count, inoculating the boards with a million or more bacteria apiece. Then they had enough survivors to work with, but not for long. Within two hours, again 99.9 percent of the bacteria had vanished. The only thing they've found that does enhance bacteria growth is treating the wood with mineral oil.
I like this, and will use a lot of it. GREAT flyer!

Tom Sherman
12-04-2007, 6:02 AM
With this in mind I guess it is best to not put any oil on a bowl?