PDA

View Full Version : Slatwall question

Rob Blaustein
12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
After reading some posts here about shop walls, and realizing my shop was a mess and in need of some more storage, I thought I'd try some slatwall (aka slot-wall). Anybody ever used this product (http://www.walltowallstorage.com/storeWALL_slatwall_products.html)? It's made of pvc.

I would probably get the pack of 4 ft panels for $190--there are 6 panels, each 15" high and 4 ft wide. It's a bit pricey, and actually more than I need--I would probably use some leftover ones for the garage and maybe even the storage shed that I recently built. This seemed to be the most reasonably priced one I could find. I know some have suggested getting some from a retail shop that's going out of business, but that's too hit or miss for me. Just wondering if anyone knows about this product, or can suggest a good alternative.
--Rob

Don Bullock
12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Rob, I've seen those and thought that they were "pricy" as well. While they look like a great idea for a shop, I haven't found any that I think are worth the cose, but I have to admit I haven't done much research on all the similar systems out on the market today. The person whose post you saw last week said he got his wall pieces from a retailbusiness that was either going out of business or remodeling. I'd like to use something like what he had, but at the price you quote I'd seach around at other companies to see what kind of pricing that they have.

Tom Leftley
12-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Lee Valley have a router bit ($18.00) that is specifically made to cut these slots.
I am sure other retailers would also carry this.
Perhaps buying plain material and routing it would be cheaper (not counting your labour).

John Bush
12-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Rob,
Besides beautiful mts, monster dougy firs, fresh salmon, great sailing and skiing, we have slatwall manufacturers here in the PNW--hence a cheap source for scroungers like me. Our local quality lumber yard carries it as well for ~$34.00/4'x8' sheet. It weighs 90# /sheet and when I loaded up at the mill I got 25 sheets(@$9.00per). My trailer was so overloaded it took me three hrs to drive the backstreets for the usual 45 min drive. The PVC stuff looks good tho. Does it include hangers as a package deal? I bet with a little searching you could find a source at a good price. Google "Grand and Benedict" and check their catalogue for panels and hangers etc. They have a showroom here and there are tons of choices for all sorts of hangers. I use the hat hangers to hold my cordless drills. They also have a selection of maniquins, but my wife wouldn't let me bring home this pert little Barbie doll to dress up like Norm and keep in the shop for companiionship!! I posted pics of my shop in a thread by Rob Will on 11-24-07. That may give you an idea of how versatile it can be. Best wishes, John.

Eric DeSilva
12-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I put a bunch up in my old garage, and it looked and worked great. Not quite sure how the routed channels would work--seems like you are creating a thin lip with the grain that might be prone to splitting. "Real" slatwall is also an "L", not a "T", although that probably doesn't make much difference.

As much as I like the slatwall, my recollection was that I got it for much cheaper 6 years ago... Since I just changed houses, I was considering what to do to replicate what I had before, and one thought I had was to rout a couple stepped channels in wood, then use steel or aluminum screwed into the wood to create the lip. The versatility of being able to move things around is really cool.

Don't discount the cost of accessories. Most slatwall seems to be used in commercial applications, so the prices reflect that. On the good side, the fact that it is mostly commercial means the parts are pretty solid. I found the 1" hangers particularly useful in my garage for box end wrenches. I've also hung some pretty heavy stuff on slatwall--small pressure washer, etc.

Paul Girouard
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Rob Slat wall is very weak IF you do not use the slid in inserts , the inserts come in a variety of colors and at least in metal ( the strongest option ) and plastic. It's darn near useless without the inserts , very weak.

I've used it in commercial applications , trade show booths and store displays , and IMO it would be just OK for a wood shop , not great / more than likely not worth the dollars spent, again IMO. So unless you got it on a killer deal or you have money to burn I'd recommend open shelfs.

They will nickel and dime you to death with the hanging brackets as well, unless that "good deal" from a shore changing out a display happens your way.

And as with all things in a shop it would collect dust , but so does everything else , so maybe that's not a big concern.

Rob Blaustein
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. John, I did see your post and it was one of the motivating factors. I wouldn't really be using it to hold anything heavy--just some wrenches, screwdrivers, things like that. I put up some pieces of peg board last year that I got from HD and have been frustrated because after I put it up and tried putting in the Talon hooks that I got from Lee Valley, I realized that the holes in my pegboard were a bit undersized and I had to take a drill bit and enlarge a bunch of them. I guess there's lot to lot variation in hole sizes (though it's labeled as 1/4" I think) in these things. Anyway, I was thinking of taking it down and trying slatwall, but not so sure now.

John Bush
12-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Pau,
I am able to hang lots of heavy stuff on the slotwall. The only incident where it failed on me was beneath a window where I had cut the panel, leaving too narrow of a supporting part of the panel, and I had used too few brackets. It just happened to be my nut and bolt bins(AKA treasures from garage sales) that sent little shiny things all over the shop!! I have some 16" brackets that I store my old Jorgy 4" bar clamps on, 5 or 6 I think, and they hold up well so far.

I agree that at full price the stuff is spendy and I was able to substitute the slotwall for drywall throughout the shop, so in addiion to getting a great price/sheet, I saved a lot of time not having to mud and sand and paint, then devise a tool storage system anyway. Also, I am able to unscrew the panels and rewire more 220 circuits as I continue to overspend on equipment.

Todd Franks
12-02-2007, 1:20 PM
Rob,

I just installed the Storewall product you mentioned in my garage this past summer. Like has been previously mentioned, it is not cheap. The hangers and accessories also tend to be pricey. I chose the PVC product over the MDF style slotwall for several reasons. It is easier to install with one person, 15" wide panels instead of a 100lb 4x8 sheet. Also, I was worried about the MDF style not being strong enough unless you get the kind with the metal inserts. From what I recall the PVC style is just as strong as the MDF style with inserts and cost was about the same. I like the flexibility and the faux wood grain style looks fairly decent also. I finished my basement workshop a few years ago with faux wood paneling and french cleats. I now wish I had done the entire workshop with the Storewall product instead.

Rob Blaustein
12-02-2007, 1:53 PM
Rob,

I just installed the Storewall product you mentioned in my garage this past summer. Like has been previously mentioned, it is not cheap. The hangers and accessories also tend to be pricey. I chose the PVC product over the MDF style slotwall for several reasons. It is easier to install with one person, 15" wide panels instead of a 100lb 4x8 sheet. Also, I was worried about the MDF style not being strong enough unless you get the kind with the metal inserts. From what I recall the PVC style is just as strong as the MDF style with inserts and cost was about the same. I like the flexibility and the faux wood grain style looks fairly decent also. I finished my basement workshop a few years ago with faux wood paneling and french cleats. I now wish I had done the entire workshop with the Storewall product instead.

Thanks Todd. Does the price at the site I linked to sound about right? Do you have any other suggestions for places to purchase, either for the slatwall itself or for the hangers and accessories?
--Rob

walter stellwagen
12-02-2007, 3:12 PM
www.productiveworkspace.com

Walt

Todd Franks
12-02-2007, 4:07 PM
Rob,

That price sounds about right. WalltoWall seemed to have the best prices, but I ended up buying directly from StoreWall, because they were better for quantity discounts. They sometimes run overstock web specials. I even checked a local StoreWall dealer and installer and the web was way cheaper.
I ended up buying the StoreWall brand accessories for things like yard tools, ladders, etc. They are pricey but really nice because of the locking feature. I also bought some bins, and generic slatwall accessories from a place called MyGarageStore. For things like small hand tools, and screwdrivers, regular peg board hangers work really well. The 1/8" aren't great because they have a tendency to slide around and fall out when removing the tool from the wall. The 1/4" work better because they lock in the slot a lot tighter. However they have a tendency to leave an impression in the bottom lip of the slot. Not that big a deal, but worth mentioning.
If you google "storewall" instead of slatwall or slotwall you'll find other sources also. If you get serious about using this product, let me know, I can give you a fewer pointers on the installation that seemed to work well for me.

http://www.storewall.com/
http://www.mygaragestore.com/

-Todd

Eric DeSilva
12-02-2007, 8:28 PM
Rob Slat wall is very weak IF you do not use the slid in inserts , the inserts come in a variety of colors and at least in metal ( the strongest option ) and plastic. It's darn near useless without the inserts , very weak.

What do you mean slide in inserts? The panel to panel connectors? They didn't even have those when I bought mine. But, I used 8' panels attached to studs with drywall screws... With around 27 drywall screws per sheet into the studs, you could do pull ups on it. I have many criticisms of StoreWall, but "very weak" isn't one of them.

Rob Blaustein
12-02-2007, 9:09 PM
www.productiveworkspace.com (http://www.productiveworkspace.com)

Walt

Looks like they have excellent prices for the attachments (10 per bag there, instead of 6 per bag at thegaragestore).

But I couldn't find the actual slatwall there? Do they carry it? Their website is a bit clunky.

Todd Franks
12-02-2007, 9:16 PM
Eric,

I think Paul is referring to the MDF/melamine slotwall with the option of aluminum channel inserts in the slot, not Storewall.

ROY DICK
12-02-2007, 9:22 PM
Not into plastic.

Roy

Rob Blaustein
12-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey Todd or John--do you know if those red/green/yellow bins for screws etc will clamp onto the slatwall without modification?

Paul Girouard
12-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Eric,

I think Paul is referring to the MDF/melamine slotwall with the option of aluminum channel inserts in the slot, not Storewall.

That's what the org. poster asked about , slat wall , I've used / worked with plenty of it , slat wall. All of it was MDF core , some was just a painted surface , some had different color and brands of P. Lam. over the MDF. In a wood shop hanging tools and such on it without the slide in inserts it would not be up to the task , IMO.

I never have used "store wall" , so I can't comment on it.

John Bush
12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Rob,
I'm not sure which variety you are referring to, but there is a big assortment of bins and plexiglass containers available. I had a set that had its own hangers and I just screwed them to the panels. The MDF holds just fine for that application, but I would catch studs if you wanted to hold heavier stuff. The brackets that fit the slots can hold more than you would think.. If you check the web for Grand and Benedict, I think they give loading guidelines for each style of accessory Good luck, John

Todd Franks
12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey Todd or John--do you know if those red/green/yellow bins for screws etc will clamp onto the slatwall without modification?

I know the kind of bins you're referring to but the idea of using those never occurred to me. I think these are normally used with a special stamped metal backer plate, but I did a little random looking and found some that others that might work, I may even buy a couple to try out.

http://www.carlson-store-fixtures.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=21_581

For items not specifically designed to be used with slatwall/slotwall/storewall I've used these with good success.

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=296

-Todd

Rob Blaustein
12-03-2007, 8:33 AM
Thanks again for replies.

Paul--just to clarify, the orig item I was referring to is a type of slatwall called storewall and it's made of pvc. It's pretty heavy duty and used for garage storage among other things. But yes, I was also opening up the discussion for similar items, so thanks for your advice.

John--I was referring to these bins (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/BINS-6000/6-Mini-Bins-Set).

Todd--I think you hit on some useful devices to adapt to other storage items, like those bins.

I'm leaning towards the original product I posted about, given Todd's experience with it in particular and other's with this general approach. I only need a small amount so the cost is not a major factor. Ease of organizing my small shop is more important right now. So Todd, I will likely take you up on your offer of installation tips, as well as tips on some useful accessories.

--Rob

John Bush
12-03-2007, 9:24 AM
Hi Rob,
Those are the kind I have as well. I just fastened the hanger to the Mdf. I get it----You are considering the PVC and likely won't want to perf the panels. I'll check to see if they have enough "hook" to catch the slot in the panel. Its raining too hard now to wonder out to the shop. Let you know soon. BTW, they do have the bins that do fit, but best to use what you have. JCB.

Don Bullock
12-03-2007, 9:49 AM
Thanks again for replies....

John--I was referring to these bins (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/BINS-6000/6-Mini-Bins-Set).

...--Rob

Rob,

Check out:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69446&highlight=hanging+bins

I saw a post somewhere showing something like ClosetMaid Close Mesh Shelving turned vertically on a wall with the McFeeley's bins hanging from it, but I couldn't find that post this morning.

Darren Ford
12-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Rob,

Have you considered a home built cleat system? I've seen some really creative uses of wall cleats recently thanks to SMC. I've pretty much decided to go that route in my never-ending garage/shop organization project.

Rob Blaustein
12-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Rob,

Have you considered a home built cleat system? I've seen some really creative uses of wall cleats recently thanks to SMC. I've pretty much decided to go that route in my never-ending garage/shop organization project.

Darren--I did, but rejected it. I just have too many little shop projects to do, and some rely on cleaning up my shop and getting things out of the way, so I want to just buy something now and not spend time making this particular shop accessory. Limited time/energy in the shop right now. Making an outfeed table is #1 on the list, installing new Wixey digital fence, etc. So I'll shell out some bucks to save time right now.
--Rob

walter stellwagen
12-03-2007, 1:01 PM
I bought it there can't find on the site now Perhaps he doesn't carry now. When I bought it he called it "Garage wall"

Walt

Rob Blaustein
12-03-2007, 2:35 PM
Rob,

Check out:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69446&highlight=hanging+bins

I saw a post somewhere showing something like ClosetMaid Close Mesh Shelving turned vertically on a wall with the McFeeley's bins hanging from it, but I couldn't find that post this morning.

Don--yes I saw that post. Wes did a beautiful job there. It looks like he basically fabricated upside-down slatwall.

Interestingly, Storewall (makers of the slatwall I was looking at) uses those holders that were mentioned further down in Wes's thread--I'm including a pic from the storewall literature below.