PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Sanding Disc for the Table Saw

Lance Norris
12-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Doug Stowe has written several book on box making. He uses a tapered sanding disc on the table saw for sanding intricate inlays and such. Has anybody tried this? Is this any different than sanding on a disc sander? I realize you have use of the fence on the table saw and the ability to tilt the disc, but why is the disc tapered?

Mike Marcade
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
The disc is tapered just slightly so that you can get tangent contact with the surface you are trying to sand. My boss told me about this but I have never seen it in person.

tim rowledge
12-02-2007, 2:15 AM
THe big difference is that you have a line of contact with the sanding disc instead of a face. You have to tilt your saw a few degrees - 3 for the one I have - so the contact line is perpendicular to your table.

I've used it for sanding the sides of a box, for 'jointing' small pieces before I got a *real* machine (my MM CU300 :-) and for sanding thin, small pieces to uniform thickness. Since I have good dust collection on my MM it obviously avoids a dust problem when using the sanding 'disc'.

Doug Shepard
12-02-2007, 7:22 AM
Got a link to the maker or sellers? Google searched without success. I'd like to check it out.

Lance Norris
12-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Tim sent me this link. Thanks Tim
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=95-430