View Full Version : "The WoodWorking Show" veterans?

John Miliunas
02-16-2004, 10:44 PM
OK, probably kind of a dumb question, but consider the source. :D After numerous failed attempts previously, this year I *AM* going to the WoodWorking Show this Saturday in Milwaukee! *Never* been to one! Going with my buddy Frank and we're just taking my little Subaru, so no preconcieved notions of dragging home any big iron! :D Anyhow, can any of you Show veterans give me/us some pointers? Any specific vendors with good demonstrations and/ or prices? Especially PRICES! Supplies type of stuff is good, too. Anybody know if Forrest has a presence at the shows? I also intend on checking out the MT Jig from Trend-USA, whom I already found out will be there. Any tips, hints and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
02-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I think each location can be different, but this years show was the best I have been to. Forrest was there, the WWII was $89.99.

Major demos: Logosol, Jointech, Incra, dubby, etc.

A lot depends on the number of days going. Deals very, but I know the KC show moved lots of iron for pretty good deals. I also find it is really important to have a feel for what things cost that you are looking to buy before you get there. For instance, I purchased the big Kreg package. Normally I see it around and on sale for about $130, same price at the show but they had throw ins to add to the deal. I got the angle clamp ($27 normally) and some other stuff for the $129 price. A good deal in my book. If you do not have a coupon, they usually have them floating around and it gets you $1 off. Also, check several booths before you buy as pricing can be different.

Usually very crowded, so you may have to circle back at times to get to the demos you want to see.

The free seminars are also pretty good to catch.

Terry Hatfield
02-16-2004, 11:35 PM
John,

Assuming it's like the KC show.......

Wear comfortable shoes....

Prepare to say excuse me...pardon me...ALOT....

Bring lots 'o money......

Seriously, I realley enjoyed the show. I'm sure you will too.

Terry

Kent Cori
02-17-2004, 12:09 AM
John,

I went to the Tampa show last year. The prices are generally so-so. I can usually do as well or better on the web. However, you do get to touch everything and have instant gratification. In addition, you can often get "freebies" with a major purchase that you wouldn't otherwise get. Sunday is generally considered the best day to go from a shopping perspective. However, it is usually the day with the fewest demos and they were worth the price of admission alone for me.

It will be an enjoyable day even given the drive from Spring Green.

Todd Burch
02-17-2004, 12:12 AM
If you are interested in any "demo" type machines, you might hit up the demo-er to see if you can get the demo machine for an even extra discount off of the typically lower show price. I did this with a Tormek at the show here weekend before last. Got an extra $50 off!

John Miliunas
02-17-2004, 12:13 AM

Cheesehead alert! Cheesehead alert! OK, so I'm assuming you know more about SG than just the fact that I live close to it! More info, please. Come on...give it up! You a displaced Packer fan or what? :D :cool:

Mark Singer
02-17-2004, 12:24 AM
John,
I have been to many in So. Ca....the food is bad!
There are a lot of what I call "slicing and dicing" demonstrations...they basically "process" wood. Little jigs that cut and hold and helpyou do things....they really don't make you a better woodworker and I would encourage you to watch them and really thinhk if they offer any benefit to quality woodworking? Then there are some genuine good products that are usefull....Forrest (I think I paid about $90 for WWII at the show) , Tormeck, Jet, Bosch(I have gotten good deals), Porter Cable, Lie Neilsen(discounted approx 10%), Sorby (sometimes), Veneer, Clamps, Machinery...
I enjoy the college work ...it seems to get better.. The work from Cerritos college at the last show was amazing! Maloof style chairs and handcut blind dovetails that were as good as Krenov's! Great to see what really good work can look like...I saw the finals at Palomar a few years ago ...it wasn't quite this good.
Comfortable shoes are important...
I usually keep my purchases to things I have needed and are at a good price. It is fun and it is fun to go with a friend. Wish I could join you...nah I'll stay in Ca,....just let me know how it was!

Steven Wilson
02-17-2004, 12:37 AM
Let's see it looks like 3D Saw Blades, Crafts Supplies, Leigh, Minimax, Sommerfeld's, Woodpecker's, TWC, and Sharp Tools will be there so I would bring my shopping list (with local and internet prices filled in) and look at the following.

Forrest Blades (3D Saw Blade), the show special is good. Get the 20T and 40T WWII.

Turning tools and stuff from Crafts Supplies. You can also order your Oneway from them.

Leigh - they have ok prices on the jigs and generally fairly good prices on their router bits (8mm are quite good).

Minimax - Even if you aren't in the market have a gander at the MM16 or MM20 that they'll have on display and compare it to the Laguna models that will be on display. Have a look under the hood. Also check out the combo machine, they'll probably have a CU300 classic or smart w/ short slider at the show.

Sommerfeld's - need CMT router bits or Forstner bits? Go here.

Woodpecker's - the show prices on the Incra stuff are pretty good, if you're in the market for track, miter guages, and stuff the WW show is a good place to buy.

TWC - they will sometimes have decent, although not great, prices on Bessy clamps, also cheaper in quantity. I try to pick up 10 or so when they're in town. If you need clamps go early.

Sharp Tools - want a Tormek, take a look. Have a Tormek and need a jig, prices are ok. Need some info on how to use, ask away; Jeff Farris is pretty good.

If Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, or Japaneese Tools are there run away and hide as you will experience a major wallet biopsie.

John Weber
02-17-2004, 12:40 AM
John,

I've gone to the Columbus so many years with my Dad and Uncle we can't remember how long we have been going. I love the wood shows. Lots of people cripe about no deals, crowds, etc... Whatever, I usually go to the Indianapolis show just to hook up with other woodworkers I know in the area. For me the shows are about more then tools (and you know I love tools), it's about the relationship and enjoying a good time with family or friends. Deals kind of depend on who is there. Most vendors travel with the show; however stationary equipment and most portable hand tools are sourced locally, so they may vary a bit. The Columbus show was without and Powermatic, Delta, or Jet equipment on display this year. The big dealer has a counter show, and offers deals etc... at their site. Anyway, CMT has a nice booth and some good pricing, Kreg will be there, GRripper, Tormek has a great package deal, the Forrest guy will have good pricing, TWC has all the little odd and ends, lots junk, but some decent as well. Bosch, DeWalt, Leigh, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, all usually have displays. I bet the veneer guy will be there with huge sheets for $3 a piece, $1 on Sunday afternoon. The demos and seminars are usually good and worth it if you have the time. I think the shows are what you make them, I go wanting to have a good time with family and friends, look at tools, and maybe pick up an accessory or two. If you just go looking for deals you might be a bit disappointed, the shows are more of any event. Woodworkers are notorious penny pinchers, there will many specials and you can save the price on admission on one or two purchases, but just go to have fun.

John

P.S. One of my best stories is how the 3 of us all bought 2 for $20 anti static brooms, three men walking out with 6 brooms, the sales women was very good...

John Miliunas
02-17-2004, 8:11 AM
Thanks for all the great input, guys! Gives me a little more to work with.

Scott, I think we're just going Sat. It's 2+ hours away. Not that bad, but I'd like some shop time, too! I hope they have deals on the Forrest Chopmaster!

Terry, "Excuse me". "I beg your pardon." "Sorry." "Hey, get the Hell off my foot, you big oaf!" "Oooops! Sorry. Didn't mean to drop my vice on your toe!" There. Did I do good? And bring lots 'o money? Hey, haven't you been paying attention? Some major vendors *already* HAVE the bulk of my money! :(

Kent, yeah I know my way around most of the sites, as well. You're right: It will be nice to actually get my mitts on some of the stuff!

Todd, I'd love a Tormek. That one, I'm afraid, may have to wait, even if there is a deal to be had.

Mark, the food is bad? Hey, wait a minute! THIS show is in Milwaukee, WI remember! Beer and brats!!! What more could a guy ask for? Walking around the show with a buddy, surrounded by tools, other WW with the same interests, a brat in one hand a beer in the other! Man, it just don't get no better than that!

Steve, that's an impressive list of vendors! (Where did you find that?) Looks like a few things I might even be interested in picking up!

John, agreed that it should be a fun time, even if I walk out empty-handed. (Yeah, right! Fat chance!) :D I will definitely be looking for that veneer guy!

Again, thanks for all the tips, gentlemen!

Jerry Todd
02-17-2004, 8:20 AM
John,

I went to the Tampa show last year. The prices are generally so-so. I can usually do as well or better on the web. However, you do get to touch everything and have instant gratification. In addition, you can often get "freebies" with a major purchase that you wouldn't otherwise get. Sunday is generally considered the best day to go from a shopping perspective. However, it is usually the day with the fewest demos and they were worth the price of admission alone for me.

Hey Kent,
Which day will you at the Tampa show? I live in Alachua and plan on being there when they open Friday. I think that is the least crowded day.
Jerry

Jim Becker
02-17-2004, 8:57 AM
The shows vary slightly from city to city, but in general can be an enjoyable experience. The best advice I've ever heard, have given and believe is "know what things cost". There are good deals and deals that are the same prices as normal or even higher. Don't forget you also generally pay sales tax at the shows...if the price is the same as you would normally pay on the Internet with free shipping...well, you get the point.

Enjoy the show!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-17-2004, 9:01 AM
John, I'm not familiar with Subarus. What's the weight limit on those things? Is it a sedan, hatchback or station wagon? Might want to take it some where and get coils springs and airbags installed. They seemed to help increase the load capacity and handling on my F-350 when I have a heavy load or trailering my fifth wheel. Is it a sedan, hatchback or stationwagon? I think you could probably get more in the latter two! Do they make trailer hitches for Subarus? Do you have a trailer of some kind? I work for GE Medical Systems and get to MKE periodically. You are so right! Brat and beer. No brat anywhere like what you can get there locally!

John Miliunas
02-17-2004, 9:08 AM
Jim, I have a pretty good idea on pricing and, I don't have all that much to spend anyhow. Think it'll be Forrest and maybe Trend. Well, OK, maybe a couple accesory items. :D

Ken, it's an Outback *Sport* (read that as a very SMALL wagon!)! :D I've got an S-10 with a Class III hitch, as well as a trailer my best bud leaves at my place. THAT whole setup is staying at HOME!!! :D :cool:

Steven Wilson
02-17-2004, 9:47 AM
Steve, that's an impressive list of vendors! (Where did you find that?) Looks like a few things I might even be interested in picking up!

I went to the Woodworking Shows web site http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/show.php?eventName=Milwaukee , then expanded the "At the Show" tab on the left side, and clicked on the PDF file that listed the vendors http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/pdf/exhibitors/milwaukee.pdf

John Miliunas
02-17-2004, 9:57 AM
I went to the Woodworking Shows web site http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/show.php?eventName=Milwaukee , then expanded the "At the Show" tab on the left side, and clicked on the PDF file that listed the vendors http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/pdf/exhibitors/milwaukee.pdf

Thanks Steve! See there now...I tried that several times over the past few weeks and no results were available. Must've just activated the link recently. Muchos gracias! :cool:

Tyler Howell
02-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Folks,
Are the "Pay For View Seminars" worth the investment:confused: I see from the brochure there will be many at the ST Paul show this spring. The only legends of WW I know of are from SMC and they aren’t on the bill.;)

Mark Singer
02-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Yeah ,
Wher is Tylers' name?....That does it I'm not going!

Tyler Howell
02-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Yeah ,
Wher is Tylers' name?....That does it I'm not going!

You were at the top of the list when I started writing then the list was getting pretty long so I just said SMC:o

Hal Flynt
02-17-2004, 12:22 PM
If it's your first time, try to be gentle.

Take a pad and a pen and write down notes of what you saw and WHERE you saw it. My son-in law took a price list of the best prices he had found on items he was interested in.

In addition to the above: The best deal we found in Atlanta was the JET 16" European style bandsaw for $686. (There will be more than one vender of Jet, Delta etc. and the price will vary between them all, price matching and bettering are common.)

Jointech is always at least 10% better than the catalog. HTC mobile bases are 10-20% better. Router bits are 10-20% less. Shop supplies are often deeply discounted.

Now I think the tickets are good for Friday, Sat and Sunday (At least they were in Atlanta). The lines are shorter on Friday and if I have the time, I like to go in and make notes on Friday, then decide what to buy on Sat. Friday is probably the best time to buy the floor models and pick them up on Sunday.

Enjoy! We are looking forward to the gloats.

John Shuk
02-17-2004, 10:04 PM
John,
If he is there, the Granberg Chainsawmill guy is a real treat to watch just make a few stops back to watch him. You get to see trees turned into nice boards and have a few laughs to boot. It is like a comedy show. He throws lots of little stingers. I bought a scraper from Craft supply and had them ship it for free. It took 3+ weeks to get it. It wasn't because of the shipping method they just took forever to process the order. I had a good day all in all. I got some good deals and enjoyed seeing so much stuff in one spot. I thought it was worth th 2 hour ride.
John

Tom Peterson
02-17-2004, 10:33 PM
John, Good to see you are coming into the big city. I am going to the show Friday and maybe Sunday. Too many things happening Saturday, or I would stop by and meet you there. I missed last year, but in prior years I bought my WW blades and CMT door set from this show in the past. Mostly repeat of what others have said, deals on a lot of stuff that would empty the wallet and not fill the Subaru. I would eat the food there, lots of good places to eat and drink within a couple miles.

John Miliunas
02-17-2004, 10:46 PM
John, Good to see you are coming into the big city. I am going to the show Friday and maybe Sunday. Too many things happening Saturday, or I would stop by and meet you there. I missed last year, but in prior years I bought my WW blades and CMT door set from this show in the past. Mostly repeat of what others have said, deals on a lot of stuff that would empty the wallet and not fill the Subaru. I would eat the food there, lots of good places to eat and drink within a couple miles.

Uh yeah..."Thanks" for giving the cops notice! :rolleyes: From what the guys have been saying, we're going on the worst day! Oh well. Work calls on Friday and I'd like Sunday for a breather before another work week. Too bad you won't be there Sat. I've got a mental list of "wants". Only really "need" one thing, but I'll see what else they have. :D

Hey, you still plan on stopping out to the shop when you're out this way? Had a real pleasant visit from Dave Richards and his bride last weekend and they came all the way from Rochester, MN! (OK, they were just passing through, but still... :D ) :cool:

Tom Peterson
02-17-2004, 10:51 PM
sent you a message, we'll check schedules for Saturday. Trip to the west side of the state pushed out until March. At the rate that you are adding tools, it will call for repeat visits to stay current.

John Miliunas
02-17-2004, 11:09 PM
sent you a message, we'll check schedules for Saturday. Trip to the west side of the state pushed out until March. At the rate that you are adding tools, it will call for repeat visits to stay current.

LOL! Naw, any more "major" purchases can't happen until I sell "Old Blue" (my older S-10). Then it will probably be an upgrade to an 8" jointer. :cool:

George Parrott
02-17-2004, 11:52 PM
John,

while I can't qualify as a newby in years tryin, I certainly am as far as time in the shop and experience. If you are looking for pocket screw cabinet making I would heartily recommend Mike Heavey's free demos. I saw them at the Costa Mesa show in December and learned a lot there, You seem to be a bit further along then me. Also, for cabinets, Mark has a great demo at the sommerfeld booth for modified tongue and groove/pocket hole cabinet construction that was impressive, at least to me. Draw back is that the bits are back ordered til end of March.

Just my 2 cents.

Have fun and watch you toes.

George