PDA

View Full Version : Confetti Oil Lamps

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2007, 9:47 PM
Here are a couple of confetti oil lamps that I turned. One is osage orange and the other is cherry. I have two more of the same drying. Fiinished with wipe on poly.

Wayne Bitting
12-01-2007, 9:48 PM
That's a heck of a shine you got on 'um! Nicely done Bernie. Christmas gifts?

John Hart
12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm so stupid....I still have yet to make one of these. Looks good Bern!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Lovely work, Bernie!

Pete Jordan
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Those turned out great Bernie!

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Great colors - really like the finishes! Nice work!

Tony Wheeler
12-02-2007, 12:02 AM
what Kind of wipe on poly I never get mine to shile like that! I need to make some of these good job

Alex Elias
12-02-2007, 4:03 AM
Great looking pieces and as everyone said. Great looking finish

Tom Sherman
12-02-2007, 6:57 AM
Bernie you are becoming a turning machine, those are lookin good dude.

Allen Schmid
12-02-2007, 7:09 AM
Bernie,
Those are some great looking lamps! You have inspired me (us) to get along and order a few sets of those glass bottles. Are these gifts or sale items? Also, do you hollow these out with turning tools or chuck up a bit while the wood is still on the lathe?
Great job and thanks for sharing,
Allen

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2007, 7:12 AM
Beautiful on both account Bernie!!!!

Greg Just
12-02-2007, 8:27 AM
Very nice - I also turned one yesterday out of the Osage Orange - love how that wood finishes

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 9:36 AM
Bernie,
Those are some great looking lamps! You have inspired me (us) to get along and order a few sets of those glass bottles. Are these gifts or sale items? Also, do you hollow these out with turning tools or chuck up a bit while the wood is still on the lathe?
Great job and thanks for sharing,
Allen

Allen I get mine from CSUSA. They come with jar, wick, oil and wick. I use a forstner bit. Then use a jam chuck to finish turning.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 9:37 AM
Thanks for the comments. A couple will be gifts and the other 2 for sale. I sold a couple earlier. I took them down to the floral/craft store and they sold the first day. So will try a couple more.

Greg that is a good looking lamp. Yep osage orange finishes quite nice.

Dale Gregory
12-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Bernie, very nice! Got a question for you. Do you use dried wood to start with? The reason I ask is that if the hole is drilled only deep enough for the light, then the rest of the piece would be pretty thick and subject to cracking if it was turned green. Osage is a nice wood to turn and finishes very nice. Over time, it will change from yellow to a nice dark orange shade.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2007, 1:35 PM
Bernie, very nice! Got a question for you. Do you use dried wood to start with? The reason I ask is that if the hole is drilled only deep enough for the light, then the rest of the piece would be pretty thick and subject to cracking if it was turned green. Osage is a nice wood to turn and finishes very nice. Over time, it will change from yellow to a nice dark orange shade.

Dale

Dale I do use dry wood. Most I get off the big "bay". I haven't tried to do any with green wood and if I did it would be a different design and would get the DNA bath then dried.