PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a piece of dual pane glass?

Dave Sinkus
12-01-2007, 9:02 PM
So I have staretd finishing the new door I had built. The measurements for the sidelights I supplied were 8" wide by 64" tall by 1/2" thick. While removing the glass from the existing sidelights to install into the new entry door unit, one piece is 1/2" thick, the other is 1" thick. :eek::confused:

I screwed up by not measuring both peices and assumed they were identical :mad:. Rule #1 in home improvement - you have to undo what the first guy did before you can do what you want to do.

Apparently, either an accident where the glass had to be replaced, or there was a sale at the borg and there was a mix and match to make the entry door (that's what I think from looking at the rest of the work). The problem is the brand new door unit is built for 1/2" thick sidelights, not this 1" anomoly.

Does anyone know where to purchase a sidelight 8" x 64" x 1/2", dual pane, PPG part #4011089 (to the best I can figure a part)

Would most glass shops be able to supply this?

Gary Herrmann
12-01-2007, 9:44 PM
Yes, most glass shops will be able to help you out. The one I use locally is Kirkwood Glass (not much help to you, I know) and they've always had what I needed.

Bruce Wrenn
12-01-2007, 9:49 PM
I get mine a local glass dealer. He can make almost any size. But remember to order them out of tempered glass. For tempered, if I order before one PM, I can have my completed glass before five PM the next day.

Dave Sinkus
12-02-2007, 2:41 PM
This helps a lot. I'm applying the spar varnish about a coat a day, so the unit should be ready when I get the sidelight. Whew, that's a relief.:)

Thanks for your input.