PDA

View Full Version : Delta X5 rust

chris kelly
12-01-2007, 8:11 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of a rust problem in the Delta X5 lines. I have a X5 jointer and planer and rusting has started between the paint and the metal on some of the formed sheet metal parts. I just noticed this today and will be contacting Delta Monday. Just wondering if someone's had the same issue. The picture shows the front of the jointer cabinet.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/regulator32fs/DSC04269.jpg

glenn bradley
12-01-2007, 8:37 PM
Wow, not good. No experience with any X5 stuff but will watch with interest. I've never had that problem on the equipment I do have (including a couple Deltas) and that appears to be their problem, not yours. Hopefully you have not had them long(?).

chris kelly
12-01-2007, 8:49 PM
I have had them about two years. I hope the five year warranty on these X5's will take care of this.

Kyle Kraft
12-01-2007, 8:55 PM
My JET jointer had the rust bleeding through the paint on the CI parts after a 35 degree springtime temperature swing. All the tables on my machines had water standing on them....I could have cried.

I sandblasted and repainted them with Rust Oleum Canvas White....it's a dead match for JET Vanilla.

Norman Pyles
12-01-2007, 9:44 PM
I sure hope Delta takes care of that for you. When you buy their top of the line tools, they should stand behind them. I have a lot of Delta tools, but none of them are the X-5's. Good luck.

Howard Acheson
12-01-2007, 9:52 PM
I sure hope Delta takes care of that for you. When you buy their top of the line tools, they should stand behind them. I have a lot of Delta tools, but none of them are the X-5's. Good luck.

Just curious why you believe it's a problem with Delta. Rust is a function of where the equipment is kept and the care given to it. Steel and cast iron rusts when it gets moisture on it.

Bruce Wrenn
12-01-2007, 9:53 PM
X-5's and other Delta Tools are the same, except for the warranty. They do add a few frills to the X-5's though. Still same basic machine.

Norman Pyles
12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Just curious why you believe it's a problem with Delta. Rust is a function of where the equipment is kept and the care given to it. Steel and cast iron rusts when it gets moisture on it.
If you had a 2 year old car that started rusting, and the paint falling off would you be concerned. Folks keep their cars outside in the elements, and don't usually have a problem like this. I know metals rust when exposed to moisture, that is why it is painted to keep the moister out. If the OP was talking about unpainted metal, then I would agree with you.

Brandon Shew
12-01-2007, 10:35 PM

To some extent that is true, but I have had many tools in my old (non-climate controlled) detached garage less than 1/8 mile from the Atlantic Ocean and they didn't rust.

In any case, it shouldn't be rusting under the painted surfaces.

chris kelly
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Out of all my machines in my shop (Jet, Miller, Snap-On, Powermatic, the non X5 Delta's, etc.) these are the only two that this is happening to. So Since these two machines are the same brand I was trying to see if there was some kind of warranty issue going around that I hadn‘t herd about before I called Delta on Monday.

Bob Feeser
12-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I noticed the same thing happens with my car, every time I leave it out in the rain, the paint starts to bubble because the rust comes up from underneath. :rolleyes:

Ok, sorry about the sarcasm. I had a body shop for 20 years. The problem with refinishing metal is that a vast majority of hobby refinishers do not use metal conditioner before the prime bare metal. Sometimes a manufacturer skips this vital step. If you visit the Ford plant in Michigan, they dip the entire car body is acid/metal prep, and then let it thoroughly dry before priming.
For restoration, or new metal for that matter, when you sand bare metal to get it smooth, what you are doing it creating a zillion little metal dust particles, that are so fine, that even the humidity in the air will convert them into a million little invisisble rust seeds. Then when you cover them in primer, you now have a nice little field, all tucked in nice and warm, with a zillion rust seeds planted. So it grows. As it grows it spreads, and then you have what you see in your picture.
There are a few other reasons why you get peeling paint, such as silicone or oil contamination on the surface before it is primed, are 2 biggies. But I would be willing to be my bottom dollar, that the problem on the X5 is no metal prep stage before refinishing. Dupont metal conditioner is relatively inexpensive. It is green, you mix it with water 50/50, and wipe it on. The metal turns white, and every little speck of rust dust is wiped out, plus it converts the metal to something that will accept paint.
I restored an old Walker Turner band saw, and I have a post in here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=695018#poststop if you read through the top of the post, you can see some photos of the old band saw refinished, then later in the post, I have a before shot, and a step by step procedure for refinishing old metal. I do want to add, if you can get to a professional sandblaster, and have the metal completely disassembled, that is a nice way to go. But I find complete disassembly a bit challenging in many instances.
I realize in this case it is something newer, and should not be a problem.
One final note is that rust oleum was mentioned. That is great because it contains oils, especially in their primer. Rust needs 2 things to grow. Warmth, and moisture. You can not handily control the warmth, but you can control the moisture by coating with oil. Oil blocks moisture from contacting the metal, so even mature rust, stops growing. Of course woodworking forums are aware of this by using wax to coat the top surface of cast iron tops, which is what I am sure you were referring to in your comments. So I kind of unfairly made a sarcasm out of it. Thanks for the platform. You are right in what you said. Hope this helps.

Robert Waddell
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I've got 3 Delta X5 machines in the 2-3yr old range. I haven't noticed anything like this but I'll now examine them closer. You may just have a case of a skipped step in the finishing process as Bob described. I've never heard of anyone else having a problem like this with any of the Delta stuff.
Rob

gary Zimmel
12-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Chris

I also have a few X5 machines and when I read your post quickly took a look at my machines. They are 3 years old and seem to be fine.
I hope Delta stands behind thier products and takes care of your problem.

Let us know...

Mike Marcade
12-02-2007, 12:06 AM

My opinion is that this is a Delta problem because it is rusting under the painted surface, not where the paint is chipped or missing. Isn't preventing corrosion one of the reasons it is painted in the first place?

Blake Holton
12-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of a rust problem in the Delta X5 lines. I have a X5 jointer and planer and rusting has started between the paint and the metal on some of the formed sheet metal parts. I just noticed this today and will be contacting Delta Monday. Just wondering if someone's had the same issue. The picture shows the front of the jointer cabinet.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/regulator32fs/DSC04269.jpg

Chris:

So far my X5 table saw is rust free. Let us know how Delta treats you.

Blake

Dick Strauss
12-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I've had very good service from Delta whenever I've had an issue. Hopefully you'll have the same good service as well. Delta should take care of this for you with no hassle.

Good luck,
Dick