PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts

Joe Hall
12-01-2007, 7:46 PM
I'm getting a $300 gift certificate from the wifey for xmas from woodcraft. Since I'm a relatively new turner I wanted to know what you thoughts were as to what I should be looking to pick up. I already have the essentials, lathe, tools, grinder, chuck. What I'm looking for is what do you guys have the really helps you out in the lathe workshop. I do mainly bowls and baseball bats. I can do one big purchase or a bunch of little ones. So what do you think, buffering system, mcnaughton, couple of good single gouges. Let me know.

John Hart
12-01-2007, 8:14 PM
Knowing what I know now....I'd blow the whole wad on finishing supplies. Power sanding supplies, Lacquer, BLO, Shellac, gel Poly, Carnuba Wax, Antique Oil finish, Lacquer, Methanol, DNA, Lacquer, polishing cloth, steel wool,...maybe some Lacquer.....:)

Jason Christenson
12-01-2007, 8:21 PM
Woodcraft doesn't sell anything worth buying, send the gift certificate to me and I will dispose of it for you.

Jason

Joe Hall
12-01-2007, 9:02 PM
Knowing what I know now....I'd blow the whole wad on finishing supplies. Power sanding supplies, Lacquer, BLO, Shellac, gel Poly, Carnuba Wax, Antique Oil finish, Lacquer, Methanol, DNA, Lacquer, polishing cloth, steel wool,...maybe some Lacquer.....:)

John, I was thinking that finishing supplies is one place I'm lacking. I already have a sander for my air compressor but lack the actual finishing supplies. I'm thinking this is where a portion of my loot will go. Is there any particular finishing tactic you use more than others, bowls in general.

Brian McInturff
12-01-2007, 9:06 PM
Since you do bowls then don't forget some bowl buffs and an extension to get them into the deeper bowls.
Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2007, 9:29 PM
Joe,

If you don't have a Beal buffing system or something similar, you ought to consider it!

John Hart
12-01-2007, 9:53 PM
John, I was thinking that finishing supplies is one place I'm lacking. I already have a sander for my air compressor but lack the actual finishing supplies. I'm thinking this is where a portion of my loot will go. Is there any particular finishing tactic you use more than others, bowls in general.

Well...a good finish is only as good as the sanding. One of the problems with sanding by hand on the lathe is the creation of sanding marks...which are a bugger to eliminate because you keep making them as you're trying to get rid of them! Pain in the butt.

Also...End grain behaves differently than face grain...and in bowl making, you have both on the inside and the outside. This disparity really affects sanding. And remember that every little mark will be enhanced when you put the finish on.

Sooooo...what's your point John???!!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Oh...right :o...Get yourself one of these http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3740

The 2" kit oughta be about right. There are nicer kits out there...but this is the one that Woodcraft offers.

For me?....I like to sand to a great finish, then spray with clear lacquer...gloss or satin...wait 15 minutes....0000 steel wool....spray...wait 15 minutes......steel wool...spray....wait an hour.....spray....don't forget to breathe...very important.;)

I like going with clear to keep the natural colors in the wood intact. Alot of the finishes and oils have some amount of amber coloring that will sometimes hide some pretty dazzling nuance colors hidden in the grain.

Shuttin' up now.:)

Curt Fuller
12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Well...a good finish is only as good as the sanding. One of the problems with sanding by hand on the lathe is the creation of sanding marks...which are a bugger to eliminate because you keep making them as you're trying to get rid of them! Pain in the butt.

Also...End grain behaves differently than face grain...and in bowl making, you have both on the inside and the outside. This disparity really affects sanding. And remember that every little mark will be enhanced when you put the finish on.

Sooooo...what's your point John???!!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Oh...right :o...Get yourself one of these http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3740

The 2" kit oughta be about right. There are nicer kits out there...but this is the one that Woodcraft offers.

For me?....I like to sand to a great finish, then spray with clear lacquer...gloss or satin...wait 15 minutes....0000 steel wool....spray...wait 15 minutes......steel wool...spray....wait an hour.....spray....don't forget to breathe...very important.;)

I like going with clear to keep the natural colors in the wood intact. Alot of the finishes and oils have some amount of amber coloring that will sometimes hide some pretty dazzling nuance colors hidden in the grain.

Shuttin' up now.:)

Excellent advice John. Shape, form, wood variety, all those things make for nice work. But the finish is what makes it beautiful.

Neal Addy
12-02-2007, 12:06 AM
That's a nice gift. Lots of good suggestions here.

Don't know how you're set up for dust protection but I'd seriously think about a Trend Airshield. Your lungs are much more important than anything you'll ever turn.

Tim A. Mitchell
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Even if you do not go with something for the dust, get a face shield. You did not mention having one.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Have to agree with Neal - check out the Trend Airshield. Finishing supplies you are going to pick up as needed. Protect you lungs so you can enjoy this sport for a long time!