PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic vs Jet

Mac Cambra
12-01-2007, 6:56 PM
Guys,

I am about to make a big decision, will I regret buying the Jet 1642 (2HP) instead of buying the PM 3520B?

Seems that that the turning capacity is main sacrifice in this choice. Is there something else I am missing?

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2007, 7:02 PM
Mac,

The 3520 is usually the last lathe that anyone every buys. I fell madly in love with turning once I got my 3520. But with that said, the Jet 1642 is a nice machine and I've turned a little on one of those...but I prefer the 3520 hand down.

If the price is a stopper? The 1642 would be a great machine for the money.

Brodie Brickey
12-01-2007, 7:21 PM
Mac,

It really depends what you will turn. If you are really interested in the really large items the 3520 will serve you better. Do you have 220 already in the shop?

I have a 3520 and really like it.

Mac Cambra
12-01-2007, 7:22 PM
Dennis,

What is the difference you perceived that made you prefer the 3520B, is it the stability from the added heft of the machine? It seems like most of the features are common to both machines, except that the 1642 is noticeably smaller. I haven't turned on a lathe for probably 30 years, since High School so my current experience is non-existent, I just remember it fondly and that I seemed to be fairly good at it at the time. Probably turned on very old Rockwell or Oliver machines, wish I could remember.

Price is important, with Rockler running the special $1399 shipped for the 2HP 1642 I am having a hard time overlooking the price advantage compared to $2799 + shipping for the 3520B.

Thanks

Mac Cambra
12-01-2007, 7:26 PM
I already have 220V, in fact I added a separate 100A subpanel dedicated to my garage shop. I have 20A and 30A circuits available so I can run machines up to 5HP.

I want to turn spindles and bowls, and if I get confident enough some hollowed vessels.

Tony Wheeler
12-01-2007, 8:19 PM
If you are going to turn large out of balance pieces you will be sorry that you didnot get the 3520. The price you are looking at for the 3520 is to high CSUSA they are 2575 and free shipping to a commerical address and about 120 to your door step or 20 if you pick it up a trucking termainal

Mac Cambra
12-01-2007, 9:04 PM
Tony,

CSUSA? Who are they, I tried to Google and didn't get a hit related to woodturning.

Thanks

Paul Heely
12-01-2007, 9:32 PM
CSUSA == Craft Supply USA, www.woodturnerscatalog.com (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com)

Dan Forman
12-01-2007, 9:34 PM
CSUSA is Craft Supplies www.woodturnerscatalog.com 1-800-551-8876

They have the most extensive turning inventory of anyone I've seen. Call for a free catalog, and you will get it in a few days.

Dan

David Parker
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi Mac,

I used a Powermatic 3520B for a one week woodturning course a few weeks ago. My experience during the course convinced me that turning was something I wanted to continue as a hobby. To that end, I have just taken delivery today on the Jet 1642-EVS-2. I am surprised at how close this lathe comes to the 3520B for half of it's price. The Jet is quite massive and solid and the 2 hp motor is rated the same as that in the 3520B. It looks like they use the same inverter. What you are buying with the 3520B is beefier cast iron parts, including a beefier banjo and 4 inches of additional swing with the beefier hardware that goes with it. The pulleys and control layout seem identical.

During my course, the instructor put on a massive log for a demo and the Powermatic barely noticed it. I think the Jet would have some trouble with that log. I don't plan on doing any massive logs. For anything else, I think the Jet will do just as nicely as the Powermatic. You are getting over 3/4 of the Powermatic's abilities for 1/2 the price. I think that's a good deal. If I ever get to the point where I routinely want to do something the 1642 can't handle, I will probably move on to a Robust or Oneway.

Dave
Newbie turner

Richard Madison
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Mac,
If price matters, get the Jet. If you expect to do "full length" spindles, get the Jet. If you visualize turning "humongous" pieces, even the PM is not big enough. I like the extra length of the "42" for getting the tailstock out of my way, as needed, without having to remove or unhinge it or whatever. Used to have another brand of "1236", as it were, and had a semi-permanent imprint in the back of right elbow from tailstock and/or the TS center. Not a recommendation. Just some reportage.

Raymond Overman
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
For those of you who have purchased the Jet 1642 this week, do a Google search for "Jet 1642 Ballast Box" and take a look at what Dominic Greco did for his 1642. With the extra weight I don't think I'll be putting anything on mine that's going to cause it any problems.

The 3520B will give you 4" more clearance total and some extra weight but for me, the extra $1200 was the deciding factor. A 15" bowl is plenty enough ice cream for me.

Richard Madison
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Is it maybe only 2" more clearance above the ways?

Harvey M. Taylor
12-02-2007, 3:09 AM
I can only speak as a PM3520b owner. You arent just getting more cast iron with the PM. The bearings are much better, the motor can be turned down to about 50 rpm's for power and hand sanding. There is a neat holder for the sample turning right in front of you for duplicating. Dont kid yourself that you will never want to turn something in the capacity of the jet. you may be surprised. I sincerely believe the PM will hold it's resale value better than the jet.However, who would want to sell it? Buy the extension and you get an additional 18 in. capacity.The 3520 can be ordered with a 3 horse motor.A man in my area routinely turns blanks weighing 400 lbs. You may never do that, but you could.Did I mention I really like my PM? If given the opportunity, turn something on both of them, then make your decision.I wouldnt try to influence you, just some random thoughts. Max

Dale Gregory
12-02-2007, 12:15 PM
"I have just taken delivery today on the Jet 1642-EVS-2"

Dave, just curious, where did you order it from and how long did it take to ship to you? A few of us have ordered one via Rockler and they said 14 working days. If it's sooner than that, I need to get my butt in gear, cleaning out some space and running 230v service to the room.

Dale

David Parker
12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
I ordered it from my local WoodCraft store on Sunday 11/25. They told me it would take two weeks to come in. I was surprised when they called on Friday 11/30 and said it had come in. I picked it up yesterday. I'm in the same boat with you. I have to reorganize my workshop and have 230 volt power installed before I can use it. I'm planning on putting temporary casters on it so I can easily move it around while redoing my workshop, until I decide where I want it. This thing is heavy. It's still sitting in pieces on my floor right now.

Tom Johnson Ohio
12-02-2007, 2:53 PM
I ordered from Rockler on November 22 and it was delivered to my door on Novenber 30. I just carried it to my basement this afternoon and as soon as I can stand up straight again I'll finish running the 220 line, probably after dinner.

Tom Johnson
North Canton, OH

Robert McGowen
12-02-2007, 4:07 PM
Hi Mac,

I guess that this comes up all of the time, this lathe versus that lathe. The only problem with your question is that you are comparing two different lathes that are in different classes. I would think that you would ask about the differences in a 3520b versus say a Oneway of the same size. I just ordered a 1642 2HP last week. For $1400 sitting at my front door, it was an easy decision. I think I could resale it in a year for a $1000 and and make way more than that with turning profits from using the lathe during that year, maybe enough to even pay for a 3520b. Do I want a Mercedes? Sure, but I can drive a Chevy now and a Mercedes in a year or walk for another year to save up for the Mercedes!
Good luck with whatever decision you make. Just my take on things.

Robert

Mac Cambra
12-05-2007, 8:14 PM
Well I gave into the temptation related to the deal at Rockler on the Jet 1642 and placed the order on Monday. I also bought a 6 chisel Sorby set at Woodcraft that was on sale for just over $200, normal pricing is over $300.

All in all I think this represents a pretty good deal and entry point in wood turning.

Thanks for the insights. I know the PM is a great lathe but I think the concessions were outweighed by the value proposition associated with the Jet.

Dave Lehnert
12-05-2007, 9:16 PM
"I have just taken delivery today on the Jet 1642-EVS-2"

Dave, just curious, where did you order it from and how long did it take to ship to you? A few of us have ordered one via Rockler and they said 14 working days. If it's sooner than that, I need to get my butt in gear, cleaning out some space and running 230v service to the room.

Dale

Hey!

I noticed you are on the west side of Cincinnati. Do you know about Edward B. Mueller co. in reading? Right in between I 75 and I 71.
http://www.muellerco.com/mueller_retail_showroom_powermatic.asp
They most often have Powermatic lathes in stock and would save you a bundel in shipping. Great people to trade with. The guys in the showroom have been there forever and know tools. The also stock the Jet line also.

Dale Gregory
12-06-2007, 7:43 AM
Hey!

I noticed you are on the west side of Cincinnati. Do you know about Edward B. Mueller co. in reading? Right in between I 75 and I 71.
http://www.muellerco.com/mueller_retail_showroom_powermatic.asp
They most often have Powermatic lathes in stock and would save you a bundel in shipping. Great people to trade with. The guys in the showroom have been there forever and know tools. The also stock the Jet line also.

Dave, I've heard of the company, but always thought they were a supplier for industrial businesses. Good to know for the future, but I already put the plastic down on the Jet 1642 with free shipping from Rockler.

Dale

Jon Lanier
12-06-2007, 8:32 AM
Okay, with all that talk nobody mentioned a cup holder. I don't think I'm interested therefore, in either of the machines. ;)

Cyril Griesbach
12-06-2007, 8:59 AM
Mac, your entry point will only be complete when you add a sharpening system.

Raymond Overman
12-06-2007, 9:05 AM
Okay, with all that talk nobody mentioned a cup holder. I don't think I'm interested therefore, in either of the machines. ;)

Jon, I think you may be on to something there. We need to get the design engineers in a meeting and get this into production pronto.

My 1642 is supposed to be on a truck. It has an estimated arrival date of tomorrow! I guess I'll have to go with an after market cup holder.

Frank Kobilsek
12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Mac,

I have the 1642 but the 110V version. Its a great machine. I don't have 220 in my shop area and it was about as big as you could go 110V when I was buying.

If money is no object the 3520 is the best choice and you will be happy forever. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the lathe is the cheap part of this decision. Tools, chucks, and all the gadgets that you truely need, really want and just plain lust for will quickly surpass the purchase price of the machine itself. My advice is get the 1642 and then be free to buy the other stuff. If there is still $ leftover go to a week long class at Crafts Supply, John C Cambell or Arrowmount which will catipult your skills. In a year if you are exceeding the capibilities of the 1642 trade up.

Welcome to the abyss

Frank

Robert McGowen
12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Just in case anyone wonders if the 1642 2HP at $1399 is a good deal or not, I relay my experience at purchasing one.

I would have to go through hassle of explaining to Rockler that I did not have to pay sales tax and start faxing forms, etc., as Rockler has a store in Texas. I called and e-mailed Tool Nut several times and each time was told that they would check on that price and get back with me. They never called back, even after I called again and waited on hold for an answer that never came.

I called Woodcraft, as I have a tax-free account there, and I was told they would match the price. I went in the next day to pay, as agreed, and the store manager was there and said that I must have been mistaken, there was no way they could sell a 1642 2 HP for $1399. After he made numerous telephone calls, I was told that he had to check with HIS boss. Several hours and a long e-mail to the actual owner of the Woodcraft store later, I was the owner of the 1642.

I found out during the conversation that $1399 is over $100 less than Jet is charging the dealers. I think that Jet is paying the freight charges, which makes it a good deal for us, but it doesn't really do anything for the dealer as far as his cost. I can only guess that Rockler is taking a hit on the cost in order to get new customers or make up the difference in accessories sold.

The long and the short of it is, it would be hard to go wrong with this deal.
Just my take on things. :rolleyes:

Mac Cambra
12-06-2007, 6:17 PM
I have a Tormek system already, I have regretted buying the machine for a couple years because it just was getting the use I thought it should, something tells me that will change now. I am looking to add the woodturner's accessory kit.

I mentioned in my prior post that I picked up this Sorby set. I thought it was a good deal and covered some of the basic tools that would be needed. Here is the link in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=392&productid=146162

I am very excited now all I have to do is learn how to use this stuff and maybe find a turning chuck, any recommendations?

Robert McGowen
12-06-2007, 8:53 PM
ONEWAY TALON CHUCK SET Item # 17190 Weight: 3.750
Price: $186.99
Sale: $159.00

ONEWAY TALON BODY ONLY PACKAGE Item # 32777 Weight: 3.000
Price: $128.99
Sale: $114.00

1-1/4"X8TPI ADAPTER Item #24430 Weight:0.450
Price: $21.99

Shipping is FREE.

Hartville Tool

I ordered the above yesterday. Pretty much sums it up for me. :)