PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Paintball Hoppers

Steven Wallace
12-01-2007, 4:17 PM
I have had a request to laser a paintball hopper and I am not resistant to the challenge. However, the polycarbonate material is a solid color through and through. I am planning to mask and then back fill but am unsure of what to use to backfill that will stand up to the use or misuse the item will take during the course of normal operations. Any hints? And thanks to all that reply to my question about pictures on mirrored acrylic...

Steve

Joe Pelonio
12-01-2007, 4:48 PM
Probably nothing will hold up all that long but I'd just use Krylon Fusion. Go pretty deep and it will be protected better.

Bill Cunningham
12-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Joe's right, fusion 'should' work fine... I do 50 shot 9mm mags for RockRiver Arms in Canada.. These are a special mag, pinned to hold only 10 rounds. These are popular, because of a loophole in Canadian law that will allow 'these' RCMP approved ten round mags to be used in rifles, which in most cases only legally allow 5 rounds..(Remember: it doesn't 'have' to make sense, it's government policy)
These are a VERY hard plastic, Their not masked because the fine stippled surface will not let the mask stick properly so I wipe a coat of Paste Wax over the area, let it dry, then laser away.. The Customer then dabs paint on the etched area with a fine brush, lets it almost dry, then wipes it away leaving the paint in the lasered area.. He has developed his own technique for doing it, and he seems to get good results..

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56115&d=1169845486

Martin Reynolds
12-02-2007, 8:35 PM
I have had a request to laser a paintball hopper and I am not resistant to the challenge. However, the polycarbonate material is a solid color through and through. I am planning to mask and then back fill but am unsure of what to use to backfill that will stand up to the use or misuse the item will take during the course of normal operations. Any hints? And thanks to all that reply to my question about pictures on mirrored acrylic...

Steve

Polycarbonate is a nasty cut under the laser, it ends up with a burnt edge. You might want to practise on some scraps first. Then, check your auto paint supply stores for something called "plastic adhesion promoter" if you aren't going to use Krylon Fusion. You need paint that is both flexible and bonds to polycarbonate.

Richard Rumancik
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
If you go to a hobby shop that sells RC cars and trucks you will find that the bodies are often polycarbonate. They will sell paint for polycarbonate in spray cans and also jars (which could be airbrushed.) The paint is more expensive than regular spray paints but you probably won't be using a lot.

The other option would be to use a pad print ink designed for polycarbonate. You would have to thin it and use an airbrush. If you go this route it might be best to find a pad printer willing to work with you (ie mix you some ink) as it may be difficult to get the ink and solvent in small quantities.

Stephen Beckham
12-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Steven,

Only thing I could add would be to consider using a grey shaded engraving versus a black. That would give you the dimpled effect versus a solid deep gouge. It allows sides for the paint to stick to versus just the bottom of the etched area.

Steven Wallace
12-06-2007, 10:11 PM
You guys have proven once again "If you ask it, they will come!" You've given me plenty of food for thought and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again! Steve