PDA

View Full Version : Completed project - Built-in bookcase (with pics)

David Duke
12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Just got back from installing this bookcase, this thing is huge!!! It stands 108"h x 54"w x 24" deep, built from red oak, plywood for the case and shelves and solid face frame and doors, the finish is polyurethane.

Just a little disclaimer here, I did buy the trim on the upper case, I didn't have anyway to cut that large of a profile (4" wide) also the engraved upper blocks were purchased.

Thanks for looking, any critique is welcome.

76282 7628376284

This is the husbands work (reason why I got the job :D:D )

Bruce Page
12-01-2007, 2:47 PM
Wow, that is a huge improvement David! I be the customer it thrilled.
Very nice work.

John Thompson
12-01-2007, 2:54 PM
Well done, Mr. Duke. Quite an up-grade from the way it was....

Sarge..

David G Baker
12-01-2007, 2:57 PM
David D,
That is a beauty. I love built-ins. So far I only have one but when I start some more remodeling I am going to fit a couple into the project.

Jerry Olexa
12-01-2007, 5:58 PM
Nice work...Looks good

Jim Becker
12-01-2007, 6:54 PM
Beautiful work, David!

Bas Pluim
12-01-2007, 7:15 PM
Very, very pretty. I really like the detail at the top, seems to fit the size of the book case very well.

Rick Gifford
12-01-2007, 9:50 PM
Looks like the husbands boards were bowing a little.

Your bookcase is fantastic. Great job! I bet they are pleased with this.

I would be :D

David Duke
12-01-2007, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I was a little worried when I first looked at this job because of the proportions, it is so tall I was afraid that I couldn't get it to look right. This is why I made the lower cabinet the height it is (32") to cut down on the "open" section of the bookcase.

Once again thanks for the kind words.

Barry Bruner
12-02-2007, 2:11 PM
Great job I don`t see how it could have came out any better. Barry Bruner

John Timberlake
12-02-2007, 8:27 PM
Very nice job. Looks like it fits the space and the rest of the room very well.

Thom Sturgill
12-02-2007, 8:37 PM
Very good. Gives the wall a sense of 'completeness' that was lacking.

Bill White
12-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Well darn. If ya had to buy the rosettes and the valance I guess that the job doesn't qualify for an attaboy (just jokin'). Sure is a BIG, HUMONGOUS improvement. Keep up the good work. I hope that ya built the monster in pieces for install.
Bill

frank shic
12-03-2007, 12:26 PM
david, that's a beautiful job. could you give us all a little bit more detail on the installation process? i'm particularly curious as to how you trimmed it out to cover over the gap between the cabinet and the wall.

David Duke
12-03-2007, 1:05 PM
david, that's a beautiful job. could you give us all a little bit more detail on the installation process? i'm particularly curious as to how you trimmed it out to cover over the gap between the cabinet and the wall.

Frank, this unit was built in two pieces. The lower section goes to the waist right above the doors. The trim on on the lower section is just 1x, while the trim on the upper section is milled door trim this is what I was talking about purchasing. The trim itself is 3/4 x 4 with the base 1x4 1/4x10 and the rosettes 1 x 4 1/4 square. I had now way to mill the trim so I purchase it the base and rosettes, I made the valance.

To trim the unit out I simply let the trim extend beyond the casework all the way around, since it was as thick as it was I didn't have to worry about braking it. It was simply a matter of sliding in the lower unit attaching to the wall then sliding in the upper and attaching to the lower section and wall.

frank shic
12-03-2007, 1:44 PM
thanks for the additional info, david!