PDA

View Full Version : Which Jointer???

Paul Page
12-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd like some help on choosing my first jointer. I've ordered a Rikon 20-110 from Woodcraft that hasn't been delivered yet, so I could probably cancel. It was on sale for $399 and includes mail-in for a set of knives valued at $49.

I just got the new sales flyer from Woodcraft which has a special on the Delta 37-275X with a $100 Delta rebate and a 10% off one-day special at Woodcraft for a total cost of $421.

I'm looking for advice on which is the better deal since they are closely priced. Anybody have experience with either of these two?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Marcade
12-01-2007, 1:02 PM
You might take a look at the Grizzly G0452 which is very comparable to the two models you mentioned, plus it has an integrated mobile base. It's on sale right now. Check it out here:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer/G0452

If I were you I would probably spend some more money and get an 8" jointer with parallelogram beds. Just my opinion though. :D

Justin Bukoski
12-01-2007, 1:25 PM
Paul, I just wanted to second the advice on getting an 8" if you can afford it. It makes selecting your rough lumber so much easier.

Lance Norris
12-01-2007, 1:28 PM
Id stay away from Deltas cheaper stuff. I have had problems with several things. They have cheapened things and they havent worked out the quality issues with their Chinese tools. I would recommend a Jet jj6cs for your first jointer. Its in the same price class as the Rikon and has been around forever. Nice machine and parts are available. Things like knives.

Marcus Ward
12-01-2007, 1:50 PM
How about a stanley #7. Great Jointer. Good value for your money too. ;)

fwiw, I have a 6" jointer and wish for an 8" all the time. Buy big and only do it once. Buy small and you will purchase again.

Tim Wagner
12-02-2007, 11:29 PM
exactly why I have not bought one yet. holding out for the 8", or a super deal on a 16" used and close to me. then once you have that you will be screaming for a planer. :)

keith ouellette
12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Look into parallel tables. It makes adjusting for parallel much easier. No shims.

Danny Thompson
12-03-2007, 9:35 AM
Paige,

In answer to your question, I'd go with the Rikon, which has 2 jointing speeds, handwheel height adjusters (as opposed to levers), a rack-and-pinion fence, and 50% more horsepower. The only real advantage of the Delta, that I can see, is the 5-year warranty v. 2-years for Rikon. That, and the word "Professional" printed on the label.

Good luck. Let's see a gloat, once you've settled. Maybe even a review.