PDA

View Full Version : Gluing and sanding bloodwood

Brian Brown
12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I am starting a new project, with bloodwood as a major wood component. I searched this forum for answers to my question, but didn't find anything. Before I glue it together, Is bloodwood oily enough to need acetone cleaning before I glue the piece in order to get good adhesion? Also, I have heard that using sanding sealer on the bloodwood prior to sanding will keep the red dust from migrating to lighter woods. Is this true, or does anyone else have a better suggestion to keep the red dust from contaminating the lighter woods.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Gary Keedwell
12-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I am starting a new project, with bloodwood as a major wood component. I searched this forum for answers to my question, but didn't find anything. Before I glue it together, Is bloodwood oily enough to need acetone cleaning before I glue the piece in order to get good adhesion? Also, I have heard that using sanding sealer on the bloodwood prior to sanding will keep the red dust from migrating to lighter woods. Is this true, or does anyone else have a better suggestion to keep the red dust from contaminating the lighter woods.

Thanks for the help.

Brian
Brian...I wish I had thought of that before I made my marking knives. I used bloodwood with yellowheart accents and you can see the red in the yellowhearts pores when you look real close. It still looks good but I would definetly do it differently next time.
Ps. That bloodwood really bleeds...when I wiped it down before gluing with acetone...the white cloth was red.

Gary

Steve knight
12-01-2007, 12:39 PM
You can't do a lot about the staining when sanding. using a non pourus wood helps. yellowheart is really bad about it. using it for hand planes sucked it showed all the dirt from my hands when I made them. but it glues up fine it is not a oily wood.
it I think makes the finest sawdust of any wood. I could never get all of it captured and you could smell it when you cut it.

Jim King
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
When using Bloodwood which we use a lot here in the Amazon I use two part epoxy glue and put small knicks in the glue surfaces for a bit of mechanical bond also. I dont know if it helps but I feel better.

I would suggest sealing the visable surface before gluing up to a light colored wood. It will bleed.

Bloodwood Log Slice Desk (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36506)

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2007, 3:42 PM
I've never had a problem gluing it. As far as dust-bleed goes, there's a little, but not even close to what you get working with padauk.