PDA

View Full Version : Glueing Bloodwood

Brian Brown
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I am starting a new segmented piece, with bloodwood as a major wood component. I searched this forum for answers to my question, but didn't find anything. Before I glue it together, Is bloodwood oily enough to need acetone cleaning before I glue the piece? I don't want this one flying apart on the lathe. Thanks for the help.

Brian

Bonnie Campbell
12-01-2007, 11:54 AM
When in doubt...... go ahead and wipe it down. Won't hurt and most likely will help (I'd think).

Larry Marley
12-01-2007, 1:16 PM
Hi Brian,
I have used it without a problem. just used titebond, no special prep.

Jon Lanier
12-01-2007, 4:56 PM
I've not used it to turn but have used it in other projects and I think a Titebond type of glue should be fine. Now if this was Bubinga you'd probably have some problems.

David Fried
12-01-2007, 5:37 PM
I did a picture frame in Bloodwood and it hasn't fallen apart in two years. I didn't make any effort to de-oil it but it got the normal mineral spirits wipe after sanding and before gluing. Maybe that helped?

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-01-2007, 6:23 PM
Brian, the key to the successful gluing of any exotic is not so much "wiping it down" as gluing soon after it's milled. Whether of not you sand the segment ends or not, try to glue segments together the same day that you cut them. This simply reduces the time that the wood has to weep any oliy extractives onto the glue surfaces.

John Hart
12-01-2007, 8:56 PM
I've not had any problems gluing it and never wiped it with anything. Good luck...beautiful wood.