PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve, gigantic plastic tool storage boxes

Leigh Betsch
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
What do you guys do with those blow molded plastic tool storage boxes? Every time I get a new hand tool it seems to come in one of those gigantic plastic boxes. I just bought a new Hitachi router combo and the box is huge. I find keeping my tools in these boxes to be annoying, I keep them on shelfs or on my bench. Getting all this extra plastic is just a waste to me. I realize that some people use the boxes to move their tools to job sites but not me. I would like to be able to "opt out" of the storage box. Anyone have a idea how to make these boxes of more value to someone that normally keeps their tools on the bench?

Brian Hale
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
ebay

I hate them also but construction/installers use them

Brian :)

Mike Harrison
12-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I hate the things as well. Often I just unpack the box rite there at the checkout counter and hand it back.

You could also donate them to your local airline baggage handler's, training institute.

Rob Bodenschatz
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Often I just unpack the box rite there at the checkout counter and hand it back.

Huh? What if something is wrong with the tool & you need to return it?

josh bjork
12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I find they fit in the bandsaw just fine even though it is not a big bandsaw.

Steve Clardy
12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Tools that I use for jobsite work are in cases.

All others get stored on shelving, till the shelf gets overloaded.:eek:
Then they go to the trash.

Dale Lesak
12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
If it is a well made box, I use my router to cut around the inside shell to remove it. some times the inside is stick to the outer shell so you have to cut around it and trim by hand. makes great storage cases for items that other wise would just lay around and get dusty. (Short length of wire, vinyl lettering, old hinges and drawer pull you just can't throw away ) I label the boxes so I know what is in them when up on the shelf. the cheap ones go out in the trash. bad hinges and/or latches.

Roger Newby
12-01-2007, 1:06 PM
I think this was mentioned here before. My main concern about the plastic boxes is the proper disposal. The will not rot in a landfill. If your community has a recycling set up of any kind you should seriously consider sending these items to them. They are made of polyethylene (a petroleum based plastic) which is often refered to as Type 1 or 2 plastic in the recycling network. It is readily remaid into other items, saving all of us $$ in the long run as well as eliminating additional landfill problems. There....I just hugged a tree and kissed a whale, or was it the other way around??:)

Bruce Benjamin
12-01-2007, 2:21 PM
It is readily remaid into other items, saving all of us $$ in the long run as well as eliminating additional landfill problems.

I won't go into the details but it is debatable that you're really saving the environment or saving $$ by doing this. It has to do with the amount of energy it takes to recycle, (from picking it up to the new finished product) and how much that energy costs and how much the production of that energy pollutes. At best, recycling isn't as, "Warm and fuzzy" as the environmental lobby would have you believe. It would prevent them from ending up in the landfill though. But is America really running out of landfill space?

To keep this post on topic, I have the same problem as you guys regarding the storage of storage containers. I generally don't use the tool cases even when I'm taking the tools to a job site. But I just can't bring myself to throw them away because you just never know when you might change your mind...It seems that if enough people contacted the tool companies and told them we don't want the cases that they might decide to save some money and offer an option to buy the tool without the case at a slightly reduced price. I doubt that the cases cost them too much to produce though and for many tools they serve the purpose of packaging that's far more durable than cardboard and Styrofoam.

Bruce

David G Baker
12-01-2007, 3:05 PM
I didn't read all of the posts to see if this was mentioned but I occasionally shop on that well know auction site for tool boxes that are made for some of my power tools. Right now I am looking for a box for a Skil HD77 skill saw. I got the saw new at Menard's for $109 because they were phasing out this model and replacing it with the Skil SHD77. Sneaky gloat. I have been looking for the HD77 saw for a few years but couldn't justify the $169 or higher cost.

Gary Keedwell
12-01-2007, 3:14 PM
Funny how attitudes change. Years ago people actually liked and demanded them, hence, manufacturers started to compete on who had the best. It is helpful, as already stated, when you send your tool back for repair or replacement.
Gary

Michael Schwartz
12-01-2007, 3:38 PM
If you notice the case is the only packaging for the tools that is the reason for them. Remove the case you end up having to ship the two seperatly with the tools crammed into foam packaging.

If it takes me a half an hour at the end of a work day to figure out how to cram everything back in to the case I throw it out and find something else.

If it is easy to put everything in its proper place I keep it.

Quite Simple in my book.

I prefer the older metal tool cases that had removable plastic trays. Often the new blow molded cases are so large and take up so much more room than the tools do I just don't have any room in my van for them

Anchor Sarslow
12-01-2007, 6:00 PM
If I am not mistaken, the manufactuing costs are getting very cheap for these cases and are actually less environmentally Unhealthy than styro packaging.. as it can be recylced if needed.

What I like about them is some of the tools I own (like my router) dont get used all that often.. so it is nice for rust and dust prevention..

They are handy for accessory storage as well.

Mike Marcade
12-01-2007, 6:02 PM
The blow molded case for my Bosch 1617EVSPK takes up one entire bay in my garage. :eek: It seems like some of the manufactures are in a type of contest who can make the biggest cases for their stuff. I think Dewalt or Bosch is probably in the lead.

Jim Becker
12-01-2007, 6:53 PM
Mine are in storage up in the eves in case I even sell a particular tool. Otherwise, I don't use them. Only Festool Systainers stay in my shop since they are actually useful and conveniently stackable.

Don Bullock
12-01-2007, 7:56 PM
Well, I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually store my tools in them. Perhaps when I am able to move to a dedicated shop rather than my garage, I will have better ways to store the tools.

Rob Will
12-01-2007, 9:43 PM
I have the same problem with those huge tool storage boxes. I usually just throw them away but I should be taking this stuff to the recycle bin (it is on my way to town). While it is not always practical, recycling does save valuable resources. The me-now lobby seems to think that the Earth is an unlimited resource, that is until the next landfill is in THIER neighborhood.

I'm going to try to do a better job of recycling this heavy plastic tool packaging. It is the right thing to do. Thanks for the reminder.

Rob

Some interesting reading:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/RECYCLE/FACTS/benefits3.htm
http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0108.html
http://www.re-sources.org/pdf/Does_recycling_save_energy2.pdf

Jake Helmboldt
12-01-2007, 9:53 PM
I won't go into the details but it is debatable that you're really saving the environment or saving $$ by doing this. It has to do with the amount of energy it takes to recycle, (from picking it up to the new finished product) and how much that energy costs and how much the production of that energy pollutes. At best, recycling isn't as, "Warm and fuzzy" as the environmental lobby would have you believe. It would prevent them from ending up in the landfill though. But is America really running out of landfill space?

It is still less resource-intensive to recycle than creating new, and yes, we are running out of landfill space. Here in VA we are one of the top-3 garbage importing states, due to other states not wanting or not having a place to put THEIR trash. Trash which could be vastly reduced if we didn't just thrown everything away w/out a second thought. But we in VA can't charge out-of-state trash higher tipping fees because of interstate commerce regulations. So we in VA are effectively subsidsing the trash production and disposal of other states.

Regardless of space, landfills leach toxins. Plastics don't biodegrade, they simply break down (very slowly) into their constituent materials and remain in-situ (if we are lucky). If we are not, and often we aren't, they end up leaching into groundwater.

Bruce Page
12-01-2007, 9:56 PM
I throw mine in the attic. I have no idea why I save them.

Leigh Betsch
12-01-2007, 9:59 PM
I was hoping to see some good ideas about what to do with these monstrosities and maybe Dale Lesak's idea to cut out the guts and use the shell is the best option. I also thought that if a lot of people thought they were just junk we could get them offered as an option by the manufactures. But several good points were made, around the box probably being better than Styrofoam and boxes for shipping. So I guess I'm going to be stuck with them. So I think I'll cut one up tomorrow and see if I can find a use for a gutless case. Maybe I can use them for packing Christmas presents for my brother-in-laws.

Rob Will
12-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Christmas presents for my brother-in-laws.

Great idea Leigh, give em the empty boxes!

Mark Patoka
12-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Since I have the storage space, mine are all in the attic for that just-in-case moment also. I've been through too many military moves where having the original packaging made things easier and I can't just throw them out. If I didn't have the space, I would probably be forced to get rid of them because I rarely use them.

Philip Giangarra
12-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Since I don't have drawers in my shop, I store all my hand tools in their original plastic cases on shelves (usually vertically, since most of the tools are 3-5 inches thick). I actually look for nice plastic cases when I am buying these tools.

Phil Giangarra

Kyle Kraft
12-02-2007, 7:20 AM
Send your trash to Michigan, we can use it to take up the empty space left after we send all of our underutilized water to Alabama, New Mexico, et al.

After all, Canada is running out of landfill space and they need to send their garbage to Michigan also.

harry strasil
12-02-2007, 7:24 AM
Give them away as Xmas presents or birthday presents, remove the inside part as suggested, put in a cheap flashlight, a set of batteries in the original container, a cheap set of jumper cables, a pair of pliers, a small rolled up length of wire, a hank of cheap rope, a small first aid kit, a cheap pocket knife and some disposable shop rags. Makes a nice emergency kit for a vehicle. Or just use them for packaging for presents.

frank shic
12-02-2007, 9:06 AM
you can always ebay them.

David Weaver
12-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Well, I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually store my tools in them. Perhaps when I am able to move to a dedicated shop rather than my garage, I will have better ways to store the tools.

You're not the only one. I do it, too. Whoever built my house built in three huge enclosed built-ins in the garage. The cases easily fit on the shelves, and I leave the tools in them - they're lined up like books and I pull one off the shelf when I need it.

The only thing I have had trouble with so far is that the bosch router case won't shut if you put one of pat warner's sub-bases on the fixed base, so that goes on one of the top shelves in the built in - still no big deal.

I also prefer metal cases, but I have such a surplus of shelf space that it doesn't matter.

Matt Meiser
12-02-2007, 10:57 AM
If they would standardize on the sizes they might be convenient (like Festool) but when I did store my tools in them they took up a lot more space than storing them in cabinets now. I do keep a few tools in them--things like the reciprocating saw and the hammer drill which are used out of the shop more frequently than in the shop. The rest are stored on a high-up shelf and rarely seen again. I did pull one out of storage the other day since I just sold the circular saw that goes in it.

The other "problem" I had with cases is that the horizontal surfaces in the shop tended to get cluttered with them when working. I'd open a case, take out the tool, leave the case, get another out and so on.

I'd venture a guess that more get used than not used since pros who take tools on the road and very casual users who keep their tools on a shelf in the garage or basement probably outnumber those of us with dedicated hobby shops by a large margin.

Gary Keedwell
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd venture a guess that more get used than not used since pros who take tools on the road and very casual users who keep their tools on a shelf in the garage or basement probably outnumber those of us with dedicated hobby shops by a large margin.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly...real woodworkers are in the minority. I keep mine for the occasional times I take mine on the road and for the resale factor. But to be honest, I rarely sell my tools, even if I haven't used them in years. I don't know why I get so attatched to them. :confused:

Gary

Todd Jensen
12-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I burn them. Its still too cold up here in the summer for my liking.:D

Bill Bryant
12-02-2007, 2:07 PM
I like the plastic boxes, especially the red Milwaukee ones and the blue ones with the big BOSCH lettering. In my neck of the woods I keep them in prominant places for all the yellow and gray box people (scads of them around here!) to see! I guess I'm not a big fan of DeFault and Portly Crazy. Kinda like not being a Lutheran in Minnesota.

Bruce Benjamin
12-02-2007, 6:21 PM
It is still less resource-intensive to recycle than creating new, and yes, we are running out of landfill space. Here in VA we are one of the top-3 garbage importing states, due to other states not wanting or not having a place to put THEIR trash. Trash which could be vastly reduced if we didn't just thrown everything away w/out a second thought. But we in VA can't charge out-of-state trash higher tipping fees because of interstate commerce regulations. So we in VA are effectively subsidsing the trash production and disposal of other states.

Regardless of space, landfills leach toxins. Plastics don't biodegrade, they simply break down (very slowly) into their constituent materials and remain in-situ (if we are lucky). If we are not, and often we aren't, they end up leaching into groundwater.

I have the same problem with those huge tool storage boxes. I usually just throw them away but I should be taking this stuff to the recycle bin (it is on my way to town). While it is not always practical, recycling does save valuable resources. The me-now lobby seems to think that the Earth is an unlimited resource, that is until the next landfill is in THIER neighborhood.

I'm going to try to do a better job of recycling this heavy plastic tool packaging. It is the right thing to do. Thanks for the reminder.

Rob

Some interesting reading:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/RECYCLE/FACTS/benefits3.htm
http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0108.html
http://www.re-sources.org/pdf/Does_recycling_save_energy2.pdf /quote]

Sorry, you and the propaganda websites, (read that as any green website) don't have a monopoly on the truth. Generalizing doesn't help either. I'm not going to debate this at length with you or anyone else on this forum because there just ain't no changing some people's minds once they decided to think a certain way. You're entitled to your opinion. But so often people will state things as a fact such as, "Of course recycling anything saves natural resources" when it's clear that they don't really understand that the energy used in the entire process, (collection through finished product) is sometimes more than that which was saved in starting from scratch. It's really a bigger picture than most Greenies realize or will allow themselves to realize.

And regarding landfills, sorry, but there are millions and millions of usable acres and so much technology available to keep landfills from damaging the environment. Lack of landfill space is only a problem in the same way that a lack of oil refineries and nuclear power plants are a problem...The Greenies won't let them build any more.

I have enough of those plastic tool cases to fill half of a closet. I think I'm going to take them all to the local landfill tomorrow and feel good about it while I do it. :D

It seems to me that the best way to save resources and still protect our tools during shipment is to skip the cases and the Styrofoam packaging and use some sort of paper pulp type of protective packaging inside of the cardboard boxes. I'm talking about the type of paper pulp that some egg cartons or fast food soft drink carriers are made from. They can be made very rigid and can be molded into just about any shape. And there's no shortage of very easy to recycle scrap paper. It's by far the most eco-friendly way to go...In my opinion of course.

Bruce

Rick Potter
12-02-2007, 7:17 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. If you don't want them, give them to Goodwill, and maybe someone who has a use for them will be very happy.

Rick Potter

Mike Langford
12-02-2007, 7:46 PM
.....If you don't want them, give them to Goodwill.....

....They'd probably turn 'em down!

Bruce Benjamin
12-02-2007, 8:52 PM
....They'd probably turn 'em down!

Up until recently a friend of mine worked at a Goodwill receiving center. She said that they have and will take these sort of boxes. This sounds like the best idea yet. Well, I still think my idea of substituting compressed paper pulp molds for Styrofoam is the best idea but if you already have the containers you might as well donate them. The problem is that there isn't a Goodwill in every town. None near me.

Bruce

Steve Dewey
12-02-2007, 9:24 PM
Sorry, you and the propaganda websites, (read that as any green website) don't have a monopoly on the truth. Generalizing doesn't help either. I'm not going to debate this at length with you or anyone else on this forum because there just ain't no changing some people's minds once they decided to think a certain way. You're entitled to your opinion. But so often people will state things as a fact such as, "Of course recycling anything saves natural resources" when it's clear that they don't really understand that the energy used in the entire process, (collection through finished product) is sometimes more than that which was saved in starting from scratch. It's really a bigger picture than most Greenies realize or will allow themselves to realize.
Bruce

I won't debate you on which is better for the environment (recycling vs. landfill) as there are too many variables - is the plant close to my house, do they use renewable energy etc? - the answer is it "depends". For plastics/paper it could go either way. Metals on the other hand are far more favorable to recycle - especially aluminum which consumes vast amounts of energy to convert from ore to finished product.

I will remind everone that the environmental "three R's" are "Reduce, Reuse, & Recycle" - in that order. Seems that most here are advocating for reduction in the first place as a delete option, some are offering ideas for how to re-use (alternate storage, re-gifting, ebay, goodwill).

Rob Will
12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. If you don't want them, give them to Goodwill, and maybe someone who has a use for them will be very happy.

Rick Potter

Thanks Rick, that is a very intelligent solution. If nothing else, it sets the right tone and leads by example.

Again, I am often guilty of just throwing them away but thanks to this discussion, I am going to try to do a better job of reduce, reuse and recycle.

Rob

Gary Keedwell
12-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Hmmmmm tree huggers......Responsible Forrest Management....Wildfires...:(

Jeffrey Schronce
12-03-2007, 12:13 AM
I've sold some on ebay and I have given them away to the people who use them . . . contractors. Seems the more FWW type tools like routers boxes will sell on ebay. The construction type tools like circular saw boxes are gladly accepted by contractors. I try to focus on refuse and resuse. I wished all tools came with an option for boxless distribution. Heck I even sell off my systainers.

Rob Will
12-03-2007, 12:45 AM
[quote=Gary Keedwell;709066]Hmmmmm tree huggers......Responsible Forrest Management....Wildfires...:([/

Yep, last month when I got that diesel fuel bill for about $20K I wanted to go hug a tree.:eek:

Tree hugger? Yes.
First hand experience with how energy and other resources are expensive for buisness? Yes.
Grow food for a few thousand of my city-dwelling friends? I'll try.

Even though I impact the Earth in a lot of ways (we all do), I try not to deny it. That way I can have an open mind on using less resources (and saving $$). Heck, I may go get that DeWalt box out of the trash for recycling right now.;):D

Rob

Steve Schoene
12-03-2007, 6:04 AM
My concern is not the gigantic boxes, but the boxes that aren't quite big enough. You have to struggle to get the tools back into them--like the Porter Cable box for a circular saw that you can only get the tool in if you adjust the depth of cut to its maximum. Most manufacturers seem to try to fit the boxes as tightly as possible to reduce the "cubes" for shipping.

I've been moving and have spend a good chunk of the past year in temporary quarters while having a house built. Having boxes has been very useful. The Systainer boxes from Festool are marvelous in comparison.

Gary Keedwell
12-03-2007, 8:08 AM
[quote=Gary Keedwell;709066]Hmmmmm tree huggers......Responsible Forrest Management....Wildfires...:([/

Yep, last month when I got that diesel fuel bill for about $20K I wanted to go hug a tree.:eek:

Tree hugger? Yes.
First hand experience with how energy and other resources are expensive for buisness? Yes.
Grow food for a few thousand of my city-dwelling friends? I'll try.

Even though I impact the Earth in a lot of ways (we all do), I try not to deny it. That way I can have an open mind on using less resources (and saving $$). Heck, I may go get that DeWalt box out of the trash for recycling right now.;):D

Rob
Didn't mean to get your dander up Rob..You sound sincere...I just get perturbed at the hypocrites who drives their big SUV's, live in 25,000 SF mansions and jet all over the world and tell us to conserve our carbon print, whatever the heck that is.:o:)
Gary

Mick Zelaska
12-03-2007, 8:41 AM
The county landfill has a "Too good to throw away" area where I take the cases for tools I use often and will never see the inside of the case again. Most times the cases are gone before I leave the area. Less often used tools stay in their cases to keep them protected during storage.

Chuck Saunders
12-03-2007, 8:42 AM
I didn't read all of the posts to see if this was mentioned but I occasionally shop on that well know auction site for tool boxes that are made for some of my power tools. Right now I am looking for a box for a Skil HD77 skill saw. I got the saw new at Menard's for $109 because they were phasing out this model and replacing it with the Skil SHD77. Sneaky gloat. I have been looking for the HD77 saw for a few years but couldn't justify the $169 or higher cost.

When I bought my last HD77 it cam in a canvas gym bag type case. Less bulky [good], not very protective [ questionable need], so small you have to take the blade off for it to fit well [bad].

Rob Will
12-03-2007, 8:45 AM
[quote=Rob Will;709079]
Didn't mean to get your dander up Rob..You sound sincere...I just get perturbed at the hypocrites who drives their big SUV's, live in 25,000 SF mansions and jet all over the world and tell us to conserve our carbon print, whatever the heck that is.:o:)
Gary

No problem Gary, interesting discussion.(and you're right about that).

Rob

Jeff Clow
12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
If anyone has the plastic box to fit the Kreg K3 complete kit, I would be willing to pay shipping to get it. I bought the basic kit, loved it, and got the upgrade kit. Buying it this way, you don't get the box. I am one of the minority that like to store tools (some of them anyway) in the big plastic boxes.

Gary Keedwell
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
If anyone has the plastic box to fit the Kreg K3 complete kit, I would be willing to pay shipping to get it. I bought the basic kit, loved it, and got the upgrade kit. Buying it this way, you don't get the box. I am one of the minority that like to store tools (some of them anyway) in the big plastic boxes.
Jeff...I really don't think you are in the minority. You may be the "minority" in an "anti- gigantic plastic tool storage box" thread, but I think if you took a poll across the country of "everyday kind of people" as opposed to just woodworkwers, you might find that alot of people think they are very useful. IMNSHO But, since were in a woodworking forum....nahhhh I still think your not in the minority.
Gary

Jim Heffner
12-23-2007, 7:05 AM
I keep my tools and small accessory items in the cases they came in. I like to protect my tools as best that I can, for as long as I can! That way I know where everything is when I'm ready to use it...hate having to hunt things down to do a job...... I remember a lesson my 'ol dad drilled into my head at an early age " take care of your tools, and they will take care of you" never forgot that to this day and he has been gone 13 years now.