PDA

View Full Version : Heat Failure

Richard Gillespie
02-16-2004, 5:58 PM
I've been awake since 1 am this morning. My wife woke me up and asked me what the strange sounds were by the return air duct in the hall. They were strange harmonics and clicking noises. I knew right away that the squirrel cage motor was failing.

It quit running at 7:45 am and I called a heating contractor at 8 am. They were here in one hour. The tech pulled the squirrel cage and showed me that the unit failed because of dust build up around the motor and on the fan blades. The heating system fan has been run 24/7 for 16 years since installed new. There were two filter systems prior to the "A" coil plus an electric filter. I changed filters every 4 - 6 weeks since it was new. Therefore, I thought that there wouldn't be any down stream dust problems, wrong!

In our conversation, as he worked, I told him that I was a wood worker. He told me that, if I had the shop in the house with all of the sanding dust, I would have had larger problems, sooner. I'm passing this information on for anyone else who thinks that the pre-filters take all of the dust out of the air stream. You need to pm the system to ensure that the dust doesn't build up on the fan components.

Jim DeLaney
02-16-2004, 7:32 PM
Actually, if it gave you sixteen years of 24/7 service, with no maintenance, I'd say it did quite well.

Mine only works on demand, and I've had to remove, clean, and lubricate the bearings two or three times in the past ten years, so by comparison, yours did great.

Jim Becker
02-16-2004, 10:08 PM
I have to agree with Jim...16 years on a whole system, let alone the blower, is a pretty good return on investment. 12-15 years is pretty good in many cases!

When you consider how much more efficient today's HVAC system are as compared to "back then" you may want to play with the numbers to see if upgrading might make sense, too.

Tyler Howell
02-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Actually, if it gave you sixteen years of 24/7 service, with no maintenance, I'd say it did quite well.

Mine only works on demand, and I've had to remove, clean, and lubricate the bearings two or three times in the past ten years, so by comparison, yours did great.

I'm with Jim D. You were on barrowed time. I pull the squirral cage once a year for PMs.