PDA

View Full Version : If you could invent a tool...What would it be?

Bill Wyko
12-01-2007, 1:33 AM
I just had to ask.:D Mine would be a better one handed clamp of any kind:rolleyes:

Bill Bryant
12-01-2007, 1:44 AM
A jig that would straighten twisted wood

A brushable finish (if that's a "tool") that would self-level without drips or runs

A hand plane that would sharpen and adjust itself

A trumpet with an octave key (woops! wrong forum!)

Todd Jensen
12-01-2007, 4:43 AM
Well, its not 'one' tool, but I'd make every tool I have over 10 lbs and all my clamps and clamping brackets out of titanium - that or a tool that would float them all into and out of my truck everyday and set them up while I drink my coffee. :cool: The other tool would be an air cleaner/dust collector that I could set up in the house I'm working in and it would absorb every single fume that is cooking off while new - drywall, paint, flooring, etc. etc. - and supply fresh air to me all day straight from the Alps mixed with spring dew and essence of goodness. I'm so tired of wearing my mask all day and still coming home with headaches and a stuffy nose; I really need to invent some tools.

George Sanders
12-01-2007, 4:49 AM
I'd invent a mortising machine that actually has a table on it with t-tracks and clamps.

Tony Ward
12-01-2007, 4:55 AM
A machine / device that would fine sand flat and curved surfaces and properly managed the consequential dust problem!

Brian Hale
12-01-2007, 6:35 AM
Digital readout for tablesaw blade height.

Brian :)

Doug Shepard
12-01-2007, 6:58 AM
A new kind of steel with embedded nano-technology. All tools made from it would continually resharpen themselves. Want a different angle grind? Input a few keystrokes and the little nannite critters go to work. 45 seconds later and your plane iron bevel has a new angle. Give it the command to either camber or un-camber itself and 15 seconds later you're ready to go.

Dan Barr
12-01-2007, 7:31 AM
Glue that would set in 0 degrees or higher, 10-12 minute open time, with squeeze out that isnt hard to remove. :D

v/r

dan

Ron Dunn
12-01-2007, 9:21 AM
Something like a Nobex mitre saw, adjustable in enough planes to cut dovetails.

Jeff Booth
12-01-2007, 9:36 AM
2 years ago I invented the Festool Domino, that is to say I saw the need and discussed various concepts at length with a friend of mine, we came up with a concept similar to the Domino. Of course that was just some idle discussion. Imagine how delighted I was when I built my first mirror frame using the Domino machine I recently purchased. The Festool implementation is nothing short of wonderful. If it didn't require 2 hands to operate I would probably buy 2 of them :p .

Bas Pluim
12-01-2007, 9:55 AM
A self-adjusting 6" power planer. You set up some sort of gizmo along your workpiece that sends out a signal (e.g. magnetic field) that is perfectly level. Next, you run the tool across your workpiece. The thingamabob that removes material adjusts its knives automatically to the level signal. This gives you the accuracy of a regular planer, but there is no limit to the width of the workpiece. Of course, you can swap out the thingamabob for a whatchamacallit, and turn the power planer into a self-adjusting 6" drum sander.

Not as fast as having a stationary tool, but the ideal solution for the amateur who doesn't have space, money or power for a 20" jointer or 48" drum sander.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I would invent a copy machine that would "Legally scan money and multiply it" so I could buy at least one each of the machines you folks are inventing!:D

Chuck Lenz
12-01-2007, 10:11 AM
My invention isn't really a tool, it's a new design in a machine accessory. Improved dust collection for Contractor tablesaws. Someday I'd like to see it enter the market.

Randy Cohen
12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
every metal tool, hand or power, would be warm to the touch in winter and cool to the touch in summer.

David G Baker
12-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Digital readout for tablesaw blade height.

Brian :)
Brian,
That sounds like an easy invention but may cost quite a bit. All you would need is to set a zero point as the blade first reaches your starting point and measure from there with a magnetic mounted digital caliper.

Chris Barnett
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Thats easy....would invent an UNDO. Use is self explanatory....that is, unless you have never made a mistake, and needed to backup one step. And for the second feat, world peace.
Awh, shucks, dang it....honey, please hand me the UNDO......again...:D.

Vince Shriver
12-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Chuck,

I'm with you on that one, so is everyone who owns a contractors saw.

First Place goes to the "Undo" tool. Now that's brilliant! Vince

Scott Kilroy
12-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Thats easy....would invent an UNDO. Use is self explanatory....that is, unless you have never made a mistake, and needed to backup one step. And for the second feat, world peace.
Awh, shucks, dang it....honey, please hand me the UNDO......again...:D.

But undo would be simpler.

Only thing I could think of would be a table saw that used 110 but (maybe had some sort of battery backup or giant capacitor so it could have a more powerful motor (even if it meant you could only use it for short periods). For example it as 5 HP but you had to charge it overnight.

julie Graf
12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
a magic shop-cleaner. ;)

Brian Dormer
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Anti-gravity lift device. Attach the device (I'm thinking a box like a deck of cards) to any item, switch it on and the item becomes weightless.

It would also be great fun at parties - attach to the hostess and watch her float around the room!

Bill Wyko
12-01-2007, 1:41 PM
You all know this one and you all want one too. BOARD STRECHER.:D

Chuck Lenz
12-01-2007, 1:42 PM
Chuck,

I'm with you on that one, so is everyone who owns a contractors saw.
Actually Vince I do have the prototype on my saw.

David G Baker
12-01-2007, 3:10 PM
You all know this one and you all want one too. BOARD STRECHER.:D
Bill,
Guess you missed the Amazon dot com Black Friday sale on "Board Stretchers".
If it hasn't been mentioned I would like to make a steel or cast iron power tool surface that would not rust and not be made from granite.

Jim Fox
12-01-2007, 3:20 PM
If you could invent a tool.........why share it on here UNTIL after you have done it. If it's a good invention and money is to be made, seems foolish to share it here! Atleast until after you are making some $$ off of it.:p:p:p:p

Bruce Page
12-01-2007, 3:25 PM
A magnet to lift aluminum. :D
Not likely to happen anytime soon....

Bill Wyko
12-01-2007, 4:16 PM
If you could invent a tool.........why share it on here UNTIL after you have done it. If it's a good invention and money is to be made, seems foolish to share it here! Atleast until after you are making some $$ off of it.:p:p:p:p
How many of us are going to make the tool. If mfgs see a demand for a new idea here, we might just get a better mousetrap out of them. IMHO:D

Jeff Norri
12-01-2007, 5:03 PM
I would like to see a Riving Knife retro fit kit for old cabinets saws.

I know not creative - but rather soemthing that could happen.

Ellen Benkin
12-01-2007, 5:31 PM
A router that allows a simple bit change without using two hands.