PDA

View Full Version : $2 Disston D8

Paul Saffold
11-30-2007, 11:46 PM
I bought a handsaw at a garage sale recently. I recognized the Disston nut, but couldn't see any etching on the blade. Following the advice I've been reading on this forum, I cleaned it up with some mineral spirits and 320 grit emery paper. Turns out to be a 26" D8 Lightweight, 8 ppi from 1917-1942. It looks like it is filed rip, but I don't see that listed as an option in the Disstonian Institute.com guide. Is 8 ppi too fine for a rip? I don't have a rip saw but don't want to sharpen it rip if thats not right. Not bad for $2.

I also got a coffee can filled with brace bits for $3. Most of the screw tips are in good shape.

And 6 Buck chisels, 5 with handles for a buck each. A buck for a buck, ha! I don't know anything about Buck chisels. These have wood handles with a leather washer. Anyone care to comment on their quality, I'd appreciate it. I don't know what to look for to estimate their age.

I'll post before and after pictures later. Probably much later. We just moved and there is much to do. Yes, dear.

Brian Ward
12-01-2007, 1:39 AM
I have a beat-up old 26" D-7 that, as an experiment, I shaped rip at 8PPI (7TPI). I'm really happy with it. A D-8 should make a great ripsaw. The balance is nice, and the handles are usually shaped well for two-hand use even when they don't have the thumbhole. I have a D-8 that will get the same treatment as my D-7 when I get the chance.

I've also got a big 28" No.7 that was cut to 4.5TPI. I'm also planning to see how that one performs on big jobs when cleaned and sharpened as rip.

Dave Anderson NH
12-01-2007, 6:18 PM
Given that the Buck chisels have leather washers they are older and probably of very good quality. Are the Buck, Charles Buck, or Buck Brothers? All made excellent chisels for a period of over 50 years in the Worcester MA area. Clean and tune them up and I'm sure you will find them great users and you got a real bargain on them to boot. In the traditional Neanderthal reply denoting envy, a hearty "You suck".

Paul Saffold
12-01-2007, 8:40 PM
Dave, I cleaned them up enough to read the names. When I bought them I could read Buck bros. on one of them and assumed the others were as well...

One is "Hudson Forge Co.", one is "W. Butcher cast steel" with an arrow pointing to an iron cross, the others are "Buck bros", one of those has "Buck Bros cast steel" with a deer head.

Thanks for the info. Paul

Dave Anderson NH
12-02-2007, 7:15 AM
Paul, the Buck Bros are really fine chisels. I've never heard of Hudson Forge, but that doesn't mean much, there were so many makers. Butcher made all kinds of edge tools of high quality and was particularly noted for their plane blades. Top makers such as Union Works by Chapin and a host of others bought their plane blades from Butcher. You did quite well.